Author Topic: DEMOLITION MAN TACO BELL FRANCHISE WARS  (Read 5570 times)

Description: IT BEGINS

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
DEMOLITION MAN TACO BELL FRANCHISE WARS
« on: April 27, 2014, 02:30:14 PM »
Tis the end times, friends..

http://www.avclub.com/article/mcdonalds-and-taco-bell-rebrand-hip-upscale-audien-203857

Meanwhile, Taco Bell has faced its own questions about how to change its brand perception as a place for cut-rate Mexican cuisine—an accurate image which has so far yielded them untold profits, but zero flattering Instagram photos. So no doubt after abandoning its usual strategy of arranging its tortillas and beans in a slightly different way (“Maybe this time we put a burrito inside the taco shell?” asked one desperate developer), the company has instead decided to fulfill the prophecies of Demolition Man and launch the upscale “fast-casual” U.S. Taco Co. And Urban Taproom.

Like its faux-industrial, New American gastropub name suggests, U.S. Taco Co. will stuff its tortillas with a more food truck-inspired, “fusion” range of ingredients. This includes tacos like the “Winner Winner,” a fried chicken breast topped with South of the Border (or “SOB”) gravy and roasted corn pico de gallo. Or the “One Percenter,” which is lobster poached in garlic butter with red cabbage slaw. Or the “Brotherly Love,” U.S. Taco’s “nod to the Philly Cheesesteak,” with roasted poblano queso and absolutely nothing to do with Philadelphia.

These tacos are accompanied by steak fries blanketed with “habanero dust,” and milkshakes swirled with craft beers then served in Mason jars—the only acceptable drinking vessel of today’s trendsetters. In keeping with the sense of heritage at play, you eat these things with your hands. Your hands are coated with skin, just like laborers wore at the turn of the century.

To announce the launch of U.S. Taco Co., Taco Bell’s CEO Greg Creed released a statement in which he visibly strained to avoid saying the word “hipster”:

Creed said U.S. Taco Co. was born of a segmentation study conducted on Taco Bell that revealed a fairly large demographic that was not likely to use quick-service restaurants at all. Rather than spend millions trying to lure those potential diners into Taco Bell, Creed’s team decided to design a new concept that would appeal to that demographic, which includes an eclectic mix of generally higher-income foodies who are “edgy in how they live their lives but not necessarily in how they eat,” he said.

For now, the U.S. Taco Co. And Urban Taproom And Restoration Fart Bistro is a concept limited solely to one test location, set to open in Huntington Beach, California. There the edginess of eating tacos filled with things that aren’t typically inside tacos will be underscored by a décor featuring a “a prominent skull logo that will serve as a ‘beacon’ of sorts.” (“That skull and its connotations really speak to the edginess with which I live my life,” these higher-income foodies will say. “Its reminder of the ever-looming specter of death compels me to live every day like it’s my last by eating a $4 Taco Bell taco.”)

From there the hope is that—like Ronald McDonald’s social media world tour—U.S. Taco Co. could quickly move to other cities, at last bringing some edginess to your town. In the meantime, you’ll just have to try to enjoy your fast food some other way, such as eating it quickly and not really thinking about it.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Incandenza

Re: DEMOLITION MAN TACO BELL FRANCHISE WARS
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:50:24 AM »
Imagine saying "U.S. Taco Co. And Urban Taproom" out loud.

Online AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 02:17:51 AM »
I don't know why they are "raising" their standards to become a cheaper version of Chipotle when that place sucks to begin with.

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:07:49 AM »
One of our SoCal members needs to hit this place up and report back.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:34:01 AM »
Because of my economically unaware parents, if it wasn't for Taco Bell as a kid I would have starved on school trips with the 5 bucks I'd have in my pocket.

Live long and prosper Taco Bell!

Online AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 04:53:16 AM »
I'll eat at Taco Bell before I will a Chipotle.  Taco Bell got me through many late nights at college, particularly the Baja Blast Mountain Dew.  The one I went to in Asheville didn't even accept credit cards until 2006!

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 07:29:38 AM »
I'll eat at Taco Bell before I will a Chipotle. Taco Bell got me through many late nights at college, particularly the Baja Blast Mountain Dew.  The one I went to in Asheville didn't even accept credit cards until 2006!
Is Chipotle really that bad in the US?

Online AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 07:31:09 AM »
It's just not good enough to warrant what you pay.  Obviously, it tastes better than Taco Bell but there are lots of locally owned stuff around where I live that is better tasting and more affordable.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 07:33:53 AM »
It's just not good enough to warrant what you pay.  Obviously, it tastes better than Taco Bell but there are lots of locally owned stuff around where I live that is better tasting and more affordable.
Fair enough, I can see that. Especially when adding guac is $2.21 (CAD).

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 07:36:54 AM »
I am not a member of the Cult of Chipotle, but I prefer it to Moe's. That's some straight doo-doo, right there.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 07:38:52 AM »
I don't mind it as a once in a while thing. It's defo a good place to get something fast where I can control the ingredients (and not being a salad). That guac price is ridic, though.

I would like to try this upscale Taco Bell though. Just so I can say I did it (this Saturday).

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 09:26:12 AM »
A chicken burrito at Chipotle is less than $7.00 w/ tax and contains like a full day's worth of calories. Never understood the complaints about that place being too expensive.

Online Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 11:49:37 AM »
A chicken burrito at Chipotle here cost almost $9...

Online AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »
I am not a member of the Cult of Chipotle, but I prefer it to Moe's. That's some straight doo-doo, right there.

Yeah, fuck a Moe's.  I go to this local place called Chubby's Tacos and for less than ten bucks get a big ass quesadilla, some refried beans, rice, a bag of chips, and an awesome selection of hot salsa.

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 04:03:10 PM »
A chicken burrito at Chipotle here cost almost $9...

That's fucked up.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 04:33:40 PM »
Standard Chipotle burrito price here is like $8.25 + tax. Add guac to that and it's over $10 (CAD tho). =\

Offline Dobbs3K

• TSM's former ultimate heel.
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 02:53:30 AM »
A chicken burrito at Chipotle is less than $7.00 w/ tax and contains like a full day's worth of calories. Never understood the complaints about that place being too expensive.

It's partly the fault of stagnant wages, but people seem to expect stuff to cost the same as it did 5-10 years ago. There aren't many Chipotle locations around here, but I like Qdoba once and a while, and you pay about nine bucks for a burrito and drink, tax included. Not exactly breaking the bank or anything and way better than most standard fast food junk.
"Tell Mr. Selig that next time that kid pitches, there's a good chance he gets one in the ribs." - Ryan Braun

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 03:24:09 AM »
I don't know why they are "raising" their standards to become a cheaper version of Chipotle when that place sucks to begin with.

Chipolte is awful.  I like Taco Bell because it's cheap fast food that tastes mad good.  You can hit the drive thru, get a few tacos a pinto and cheese, a big gulp if you like soda, and mad packets of hot sauce.  I know that the food is crap, I know I'm eating a ton of strange chemicals....I don't care

sure as shit not gonna eat at a bougie taco bell

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 03:44:15 AM »
As Roy's post just illustrated, so many people are willing to tolerate mediocrity only if they can get it on the $1 menu.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 03:52:56 AM »
taco bell ain't mediocre bro.  It is what it is.  I get food from there like 2-3 times a year....but when I do....I ENJOY IT

I cook food for myself most of the time.  I make Mexican that is streets ahead, but sometimes you gotta have fast food

Chipolte is the most overpriced bullshit, and the food sucks.  P sure Chipolte, like Quiznos, will slowly die off

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 03:57:39 AM »
You said yourself that it is crap. You called Chipotle "overpriced." You, like a lot of people, happily eat shitty food as long as you can get it cheap.

Online AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 04:02:39 AM »
Yeah, but at Taco Bell you get what you pay for.  At Chipotle, you don't.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 04:03:05 AM »
You said yourself that it is crap. You called Chipotle "overpriced." You, like a lot of people, happily eat shitty food as long as you can get it cheap.

you're hilarious

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 04:27:12 AM »
I guess this is the cost of fresh(er) "fast" food? I have no idea. I also enjoy Taco Bell when I want it (also only eat there like once a year) but I also enjoy Chipotle when I want it. It might be expensive if you're eating there many times a week, but if it's just once in a while, it's not that bad.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 10:06:25 AM »
Mucho Burrito is better than Taco Bell and Chipotle.

Offline Avid TOXIE Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 10:30:07 AM »
Your hands are coated with skin, just like laborers wore at the turn of the century.
Did nobody else read this part and laugh as hard as I did?

Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 11:13:17 AM »
Out this way we have Hothead Burritos, which is basically Chipotle with more sauce options and about the same price.  Good once every six months or so.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 01:56:23 PM »
In my experience, Mucho Burrito makes one of the worst burritos in Toronto. I would rather pay Chipotle prices daily than eat the shit they pass off as "fresh" ingredients.

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 02:37:51 PM »
Burrito shots fired

Offline Byron The Bulp

• Byron the bulb
  • Byron the bulb
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 06:15:28 PM »
At Chipotle, you don't.

You can get like 1,500 calories for less than $8.00. I can take or leave Chipotle, but I'm pretty sure that, in terms of raw nutritional numbers, it's good value.

Offline starvenger

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2014, 12:43:22 AM »
In my experience, Mucho Burrito makes one of the worst burritos in Toronto. I would rather pay Chipotle prices daily than eat the shit they pass off as "fresh" ingredients.
Gonna have to side with dubq on this one.  Mucho Burrito is pretty darn bad.
Starvenger

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2014, 04:20:01 AM »
Gonna have to side with dubq on this one.  Mucho Burrito is pretty darn bad.
Yeah. Thought it could be a regional thing. Maybe they're better out west? I just know I've been to a few locations here in Toronto and they've all been consistently awful.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2014, 06:15:14 AM »
Must be an Ontario thing because the Mucho Burrito out here is a 100x better than Taco Bell or Chipotle.

Offline starvenger

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2014, 06:34:02 AM »
Must be an Ontario thing because the Mucho Burrito out here is a 100x better than Taco Bell or Chipotle.
I should point out that this is not praise for Chipotle.  I'd rather go to Burrito Boys or Bar Burrito than any of the aforementioned three.
Starvenger

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2014, 08:00:40 AM »
I should point out that this is not praise for Chipotle.  I'd rather go to Burrito Boys or Bar Burrito than any of the aforementioned three.
Fuck yes to that. The Boyz are amazing. As is the offshoot from the owner split, "Bandito Burrito".

Online AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 12:08:57 AM »
http://consumerist.com/2014/04/29/chipotle-price-hike-to-hurt-steak-lovers-wallets-the-most/

Earlier this month, Chipotle (aka the restaurant your annoying co-worker calls “Chipoltay”) announced its first price hike in three years, citing increased costs for ingredients across the eatery’s menu. Now the company’s CFO is saying that customers who like the Chipotle steak burrito will likely be the ones who notice the biggest change in their lunch bill.

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 05:45:51 AM »
http://consumerist.com/2014/04/29/chipotle-price-hike-to-hurt-steak-lovers-wallets-the-most/

Earlier this month, Chipotle (aka the restaurant your annoying co-worker calls “Chipoltay”)

I wonder what the non-annoying way to call it is.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 06:33:57 AM »
The way it's pronounced?

Offline Star Ocean 3

• Star Ocean 2
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 09:53:19 AM »
Oh, I didn't see that they switched the L and the T. I've never heard anyone say it that way.

Online AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »
You should venture south of the Mason Dixon Line more often...

Or maybe not.

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 07:39:47 AM »
Fuck yes to that. The Boyz are amazing. As is the offshoot from the owner split, "Bandito Burrito".

Ever tried Chinos Locos? They're opening up an east end location near my girlfriends, heard good things.

Offline starvenger

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »
I would be happy with any Tex-Mex that is more edible than Taco Del Mar near my office (Bloor/Sherbourne).
Starvenger

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 02:22:42 AM »

Offline darthtiki

• $100 Bills hangin' out of my pocket
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2015, 03:14:36 PM »
So a few weeks ago, I ventured to US Taco Co.  I had their BBQ brisket taco and their traditional Cali taco.  Both were good, not amazing must go back type of tacos.  Got out about for about $10-11 for 2 tacos and a bottle of water.

Online Former Faithless Fool

• KOAB
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2015, 06:05:59 PM »
FUCK I WAANT THAT LOHBSTER TAXO

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2015, 01:55:14 PM »
I honestly have no idea how Taco Bell stays in business in states like CA, AZ, TX, NM where taco stands and taquerias are on almost every corner. The food is better and often just as cheap.  I figured that even the lilliest of lilly-white folks would have worked up the courage to walk into these establishments by now but I guess not.

I suppose there's still a large portion of folks who don't want try mexican food beyond the vague notion of something stuffed inside a tortilla or hard shell.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com