Author Topic: WNBA THREAD  (Read 4377 times)

Description: Ironic Posts and Slim Citrus

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Re: 2014 WNBA SEASON THREAD
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2015, 07:50:37 AM »
The CBA, the Raptors, the Pacers, the Knicks, FIU... now he's moving on to ruin the WNBA? Is Zeke working off a fucking checklist?

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
Re: WNBA THREAD
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2015, 05:48:51 AM »
Changed the title from 2014 to an all-purpose one.

Got an offer from Groupon to get a Mercury ticket WITH selfie stick for $17.  HOW CAN I PASS?!?!?!
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2016, 02:19:42 AM »
Yeah, yeah, I know...

I normally don't check in on women's basketball between Columbus Day and Memorial Day (mainly because I loathe college sports, of all flavors), but I had time to kill yesterday, while I was waiting for the trailers to start at the showing of Doctor Strange I went to, and I happened on this:

https://www.facebook.com/13teams1journey/posts/10153937998876611

Since it's not evident by that post, let me just point out that those two women are teammates, on the same WNBA team. Last year, it became briefly noteworthy when Britney Griner and Glory Johnson got married, and subsequently divorced, but they didn't play on the same team... I find myself wondering how that would play out in a men's locker room. Like, even if there were openly gay players in a men's league, can you even imagine two guys on the same team dating each other? How would that play out, if they broke up? Hell, just looking at hetero relationships, I remember, back in 2009, that WNBA player Camille Little (a borderline All-Star talent) demanded a trade out of Atlanta, after she broke up with Marvin Williams, who was still on the Hawks at the time; she ended up getting traded to Seattle and, the next season, Seattle beat Atlanta in the WNBA Finals. That breakup may have literally cost Atlanta's WNBA team a championship: how the hell would fans react if something like that happened in a men's sport?

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2017, 10:09:46 AM »
how long til slim comes in here straight shaming us smdh
[img width=800

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2017, 10:31:36 AM »
FWIW, a rebuttal by another former WNBA player: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10210980998414237&id=1032417279

And, an editorial piece by a current WNBA player: http://moniquecurrie.sportsblog.com/posts/32075247/perception-is-real--candice-wiggins--truth.html

And another one: http://www.imaniboyette.com/dear-candice/

Also, ninety-eight percent? That would mean that, rounding up to the nearest whole number, that there are only three hetero women in the league. I don't know exactly how many straight women there are in the WNBA, but I'll go to the bank with it being more than three.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2017, 10:38:29 AM »
One of Ms. Wiggins' former teammates had a humorous comment about the 98 percent figure:
Devereaux Peters
‏@MsPeters14

Follow
 More
Bria Hartley, Mistie Bass, Dearrica Hamby & Taylor Hill have had babies in the past year. So according to the numbers, I identify as gay now

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2017, 05:06:39 AM »
Bump time for Slim

WNBA's top pick been playing pickup with NBA's group of Washington pros for the past few years

https://therivardreport.com/how-nba-competition-shaped-the-wnbas-no-1-pick/
[img width=800

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2017, 09:10:39 AM »
slim is probably mad that you bumped this thread because of an NBA-related tidbit.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2017, 09:14:19 AM »

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »
slim is probably mad that you bumped this thread because of an NBA-related tidbit.

Slim has come to expect such trifling-ass behavior from y'all.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2017, 05:17:05 AM »
Shit - I need to go to the Mercury games now that I know we got RUFIO

[img width=800

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2017, 09:01:36 AM »
Diana Taurasi just became the all-time leading scorer in WNBA history.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2018, 02:52:30 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/minnesota-lynx-reportedly-havent-received-white-house-invite-7-months-winning-wnba-championship-030653657.html

Like they did in 2011, and in 2013, and in 2015, the Minnesota Lynx hoisted up the WNBA championship trophy last October. It was a special win, avenging a loss to the Sparks in the 2016 Finals, but there is also apparently something different with that win: No call from President Donald Trump or the White House has followed it.

Lynx coach and general manager Cheryl Reeve appeared on the Sports Media Podcast hosted by The Athletic’s Richard Deitsch and revealed the curious situation, noting that former President Barack Obama’s administration called the team within 24 hours to congratulate them and invite them to the White House during their other three championships.

“This President may have a different protocol, but to this point — we won in October — we have not heard anything from the White House with regard to either a note of congratulations or even offering to visit at some point during this upcoming summer,” Reeve said, per The Athletic.

The Lynx have previously visited the White House when in Washington to play the Mystics. Those dates this year are May 27 and June 7, so Trump could theoretically still send an invite, it would just be much more difficult for both sides to make the schedule work than if the invite had been made back in October.

There could be a number of reasons why Trump has not extended the invite yet. Lynx forward Rebekkah Brunson told the Star-Tribune in October that she would not visit the White House if invited. A situation like that led to a very public dis-invitation in the past, when Trump tweeted that he was revoking the Warriors’ invite after Steph Curry made it clear he wasn’t interested in attending.

White House visits for athletes have also seemed to just be a headache for Trump’s White House, like the time last week when a comment of his was interpreted to be insulting to Paralympic athletes or when a photo comparison from The New York Times made it look like the Patriots’ delegation was lighter for Trump than Obama.

Even if every Lynx player was publicly interested in attending and received an invitation, a visit wouldn’t have been guaranteed. The Sparks weren’t able to make it after winning in 2016, so Obama instead sent a congratulatory letter instead. Such a message has yet to come from Trump.
[img width=800

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2018, 06:23:44 AM »
Yeah, I don't think Trump is a fan of women's sports. Or just of women in general.

Before you say I'm wrong, I didn't say he didn't like the female body. Just everything else is what he doesn't like.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2018, 07:14:36 AM »
Yeah, I don't think Trump is a fan of women's sports. Or just of women in general.

Before you say I'm wrong, I didn't say he didn't like the female body. Just everything else is what he doesn't like.

Lol, what do you mean, "before you say I'm wrong"? Who was going to say that? We all know that Trump hates women: and hell, we also know that just because you put your dick in somebody, doesn't mean you respect them.

The only woman that Trump has any regard for is his daughter. And I try really hard not to think about that.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2018, 01:00:58 PM »
I feel like a bigger story will come of this

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/24311430/wnba-aces-forfeit-game-mystics-was-canceled

Essentially, the Las Vegas team ended up traveling 26 hours straight due to travel delays and opted not to play the game due to health concerns.  The league has ruled the game as a forfeit.  I mean, it is but feels like something that would get accommodated for in other leagues but then again, it wouldn't happen in other leagues that have more money.
[img width=800

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2018, 08:01:16 AM »
I don't know who the fuck Shea Serrano is, or why he's apparently the only male on Twitter allowed to say positive stuff about the WNBA without a bunch of fuckbois jumping into his mentions, but I appreciate him.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2018, 08:04:41 AM »
I haven't heard that much on WNBA this year.  I didn't connect the dots that it was playoff time already until a buddy of mine that goes to Mercury games occasionally told me that not only were the Mercury having their playoff game at the ASU arena the other night but they had playoff tickets for only $1.  I probably would've gone had I not had other stuff to do that night.
[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2019, 03:52:10 AM »
I had to go to the airport to pick up some family who went out of town last night.  Did a double take when walking by the luggage carousel and I passed Brittney Griner.  I think whoever she was with caught me recognizing her but I don't believe in bugging people when I see them in a setting like that.
[img width=800