Author Topic: TNA in June 2014: Our Last Slammiversary?  (Read 7545 times)

Description: Plus TNA goes to NYC!

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • This conversation sucks.I'm going to take a shower
TNA in June 2014: Our Last Slammiversary?
« on: May 31, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »
Well, Slammiversary XII goes down in two weeks. Kevin Von Erich will be there at the PPV, coming live from (the) Dallas (Metropolitan area), with his sons Ross and Marshall because a TNA PPV isn't sad enough without an appearance by the Von Erichs.

Plus Robbie E and Brooke Tessmacher are gonna be on the new season of The Amazing Race!

This month not only features the 2nd (3rd?) biggest PPV of the year for TNA but it will have TNA's first TV tapings in New York City. A crowd of 40 people is expected to show up to the Hammerstein Ballroom to watch Impact Wrestling.

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
Re: TNA in June 2014: Our Last Slammiversary?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 04:25:48 PM »
That's pretty cool for Robbie e and Tessmacher.   

Edit:  I also love that in the press release he had himself listed as Robbie E. Strauss.

Double edit:  I just realized that their tag team is now a big brother guy and an amazing race guy.  Zema gotta go on survivor.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 05:04:52 PM »
Heel Lashley Vs EY would be a more compelling main event than MVP/EY anyway...

That's the thing.  MVP should be the mouthpiece for guys, not the guy getting the push himself.  Lashley as the silent hoss with MVP on the mic for him...I can at least buy that.  Eric Young vs. MVP is a bad matchup for both guys.  If EY is supposed to be the underdog...put him against a guy who I think should kill him...not MVP who I think is at the same undercard level as him.  This is why I had hoped for a Joe turn when he came back after Young got the belt.  That's a match dynamic that I think works.  Lashley is a dynamic that I think works.  MVP is doing a fine job in what he's been doing...but I already don't buy the champion...I can't not buy the challenger too.

Offline Springtime for Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 03:32:32 AM »

LOL Dixie.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 06:52:01 AM »
Impact turns 10 today.  Looking at the spoilers for tomorrow...the only person who appears to wrestle on both the debut and the ten year anniversary (which I'm sure they didn't realize it was when they taped anyway) is...Eric Young. 

Storm, Roode and Abyss are also still with the company.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 11:45:15 AM »
Notes from new observer:

No contract is signed between spike and tna but he thinks one will be in place before the current one runs out. Basically boils down to spike still wanting wrestling because it does better numbers than most of their programming and going with a different group (meltzer says others have pitched to them...not jarrett though since he isn't allowed on spike per his exit deal) would be a bigger risk since they know what tna gives them regardless of quality.  He says they do worry about tna cash flow problems since the Carter's aren't dumping as much free money into it and they don't want a property on their network going out of business or not being able to deliver weekly content.  Makes you wonder where the money to run NYC came from.  They've cut so much salary since last year too.

Sky tv in England is in talks for a second british bootcamp.  The first was excellent because Borash made it and the four wrestlers had more character after one ep than almost anyone in tna after years.  Plus...spud is a worthy find as a tv character which is more than most tough enough winners at least. 

Low ki and taryn terrell (who both recently worked one night onlys) are expected back on tv soon.

EDIT:  Here's a crazy thing...if TNA is still alive at the end of this year...they'll surpass the life span of WCW.  WCW made it about 12 and a half years.  TNA turns 12 in two weeks.  Man...did Jarrett ever find the right money mark in Dixie Carter.

Offline timmy8271

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 04:07:59 PM »

This is a picture from Tonight's TNA house show. Apparently Dixie pissed off Tommy Dreamer by keeping Bully Ray off his House of Hardcore show tonight. Abyss showed up though.

Thursday's Impact was so bad, Bryan Alvarez has stopped watching TNA for a month. That's a shame because the Bryan/Vinny shows were only worth listening to because of his TNA rants. Kinda like Spoony. I didn't think it was as bad as two weeks ago.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 04:17:42 PM »
Quote from: Something Bryan actually wrote for his newsletter
After all these years, TNA Impact finally broke me. The show on Thursday night was up there with the worst pro-wrestling programs I've ever seen in my life. It might have been the worst. Maybe, top-to-bottom, objectively there has a worse show historically. But no show ever caused me to command a one-month (at the moment) boycott before, so I think the evidence is in that this was the worst pro-wrestling show I've ever seen.

I had considered watching the PPV next Sunday since a PPV is more important than television, but come on now. No one is buying this PPV, and the idea that I'm going to have to pay $34.95 for it is reason enough to skip it. I'll be 39 years old when that show airs. I don't need this in my life. There is plenty of actual pro-wrestling to watch.

The more I think about it, the less guilty I feel about not watching this product. Even if one were to argue that this is "my job," technically my job is to watch all the major pro-wrestling shows on US television, and you know what? At this point it is tough for me to classify Impact as a pro-wrestling television show. I don't know what the hell it even is. It's a variety show that features people fighting, only part of which actually takes place in a pro-wrestling ring, and none of which anyone could possibly care about because the majority of the characters are so completely unlikeable, and the shit they do makes no sense.

I read an article on why it's tough for the people writing Impact. It was written by Vince Russo. Yeah. So, as one would expect, it was filled with 9 million bullshit excuses. I liked the one about how the building at Universal Studios is not a good building for wrestling because so many tourists show up. I was unaware that pro-wrestling fans were restricted from attending. That's like saying the crowd at Full Sail University for NXT sucks because only college kids go. Except it appears plenty of wrestling fans manage to attend at Full Sail, plus the NXT crowds almost never suck. It is ironic, because Russo claimed that the crowd sucked because sometimes Impact had to tape one and a half shows per taping. Last time I checked NXT taped four shows per taping. They seem to be doing all right. Come to think of it, they're doing great.

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 04:19:48 PM »
They have so little focus right now that I can't even follow what they're trying and failing to do.  Ok...the new nation is kind of entertaining...but they are overexposed and in every segment.  And they are feuding with young and Aries and Joe...and soon I'd imagine Roode.  Ok.  Sounds fine.  Wait...now they're feuding with Dixie and ec3?  Wtf?  They're still feuding with bully ray btw.  So what the fuck?  And why did Gunner go from actually making the most of his push to playing go fish with sam shaw in a mental institution?  That's an actual sentence.  And all that hard work storm did putting Gunner over...and he's stuck in an unfunny feud with Anderson.

There was one thing on the show that I actually thought was really really great though.  When the wolves were bitching at MVP for turning on them and MVP rightfully pointed out that he had held up every end of his promise to them, giving them jobs, and opportunity and a shot at the titles.  That was great.

Of course the wolves have nothing scheduled for the ppv that I can see.  And Robbie e is afraid of clowns.  And all the women are stupid again.  And the roster can tell things have gone to shit so they largely stopped trying.  Except fucking Jeff Hardy...who is so committed to this character that no one understands that he has effectively rendered himself less useful than a decade of tna booking could have done on its own.  And sanada disappeared. 

My hope for the ppv is honestly that MVP can't work, lashley fucking kills eric young and because they have to move things around the card they book the wolves to face joe and Aries as one of those make your enemies beat each other up matches.

Offline Ed

• Ed
    • My Twitter Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 06:42:10 PM »
I just want to know why they think MVP vs. Dixie Carter in a heel vs. heel feud is appealing. *Who* are we supposed to cheer for? She's annoying and he's a manipulative asshole.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 02:20:55 PM »

Hey! Another picture of a poorly attended TNA house show!

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 02:49:23 PM »
Good lord.  WCW never got even remotely that bad.  These house show's can't be coming close to turning a profit. 

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 02:53:36 PM »
Just a guess.  But based on the House of Hardcore angle the other day my guess is the big thing for the NYC shows is TNA vs. HOH in some form.  Maybe an invasion or something.
Randy!

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 03:50:22 PM »
Good lord.  WCW never got even remotely that bad.  These house show's can't be coming close to turning a profit.
I always thought it was a dumb idea for TNA to be doing house shows every weekend, especially at this stage. If you do it once a month in cities where your product gets over (ummm...I'm not sure if there are any cities where TNA is over at this stage but still) then you might have some chance of making some money or at least, losing less money.

I think the TNA/HoH angle would be a great idea to build the interest for August's NYC shows. Might be too late to do much for the ones later this month.

Salt in the wound... the ROH house show at MCU Field in Brooklyn in August,  where TNA's had yearly house shows for the past few years but got kicked out for low attendance last year, has already sold more than 1,000 tickets. ROH's gawdawful production is the only thing holding it back from making a strong run at being the #2 wrestling promotion in the U.S.

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 03:53:33 PM »
Well...i read the reason tna isn't doing that show is just because they already have 6 other NYC shows this summer.  And I'm pretty sure they did well the first year and worse the last two.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 04:07:47 PM »
I read somewhere that TNA had 1,800 people there last summer. If ROH matches that, it's a huge feat for them and it looks like it could very well happen.

And relatively speaking, this is all small beans. MCU Park seats 7,500 people!

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »
I think they did like 5 thousand the first year and thought they had hit on something.  Then they did 3 and change the next.  And then probably the number you have last year.  Diminishing returns for,this company seems just about right.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 08:44:23 AM »

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 08:47:34 AM »
If you were going to put up a picture from TNA this weekend I'd have thought instead of sleeping Earl you'd have gone with Velvet kissing Taryn Terrell on the red carpet of the Guys choice awards.

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 09:05:05 AM »
Sleeping Earl probably sums up better this weekend in TNA better though.

Funny note as bad as that ballpark house show was, it might have been the best attended house show TNA did during their Maryland house show this weekend.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 10:57:20 AM »
so they pulled Bully from the House of Hardcore show he'd been booked and advertised on for months so he could show up at the Spike Guy's Choice award show?  Really?

Offline 2GOLD

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 11:05:50 AM »
so they pulled Bully from the House of Hardcore show he'd been booked and advertised on for months so he could show up at the Spike Guy's Choice award show?  Really?

You cannot be shocked by their choices anymore. And the respirator is off without Spike so they can't say no.

So that's umm...8 wrestlers total in the company available right? Who is left on this roster?

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 11:07:44 AM »
"Send us your two hottest chicks, the big brother guy and the old guy you centered tv around most of last year" -spike

If spike asked for Dixie to kill tommy dreamer he would be dead in a gutter right now

Online Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 11:09:59 AM »
FWIW, The House of Hardcore show this weekend drew 2000+ people which is probably way more than all of the shows in TNA's Maryland house show swing combined

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 06:07:43 AM »
TNA has reportedly reached out to multiple former X Division champions to come in for the Destination X show.

Instead of monetary payments they have been offering the former champions television time, and potential money making memorabilia .  Reportedly TNA taped their last set of tapings in Universal Studies in the lot that housed a television show called Nickelodeon Guts.  Backstage there were multiple props left from the show, including the prize they would give to the winner of the show "a piece of the Agrocrag".  Dixie and TNA management were able to procure multiple pieces of the Agrocrag. 

They are now offering talents a piece of the Agrocrag in exchange for a nights work.
Randy!

Online Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 06:10:32 AM »
Ian Rotten paid better. What a fucking joke, if true.

Offline Ed

• Ed
    • My Twitter Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 06:12:15 AM »
...This is a joke, right? I can't even tell anymore.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 06:35:16 AM »
They are now offering talents a piece of the Agrocrag in exchange for a nights work.

I would do it.

DTF

Offline 2GOLD

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 09:18:27 AM »

TNA needs to revive Temple Run and use the roster each week to run it. If they win, the team that wins gets to SHARE a ten speed...for a week...then they have to return it and try to win it again.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »
LOL, this can't be true but if it is, wow.

I wonder if they have the shrine of the silver monkey, a bucket of gak, a football stuffed with salami, a sample of GC161, and some Goo Punch to give away as well.

Offline Venkman

• Dr Venkman PhD
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 10:27:17 AM »
LOL, this can't be true but if it is, wow.

I wonder if they have the shrine of the silver monkey, a bucket of gak, a football stuffed with salami, a sample of GC161, and some Goo Punch to give away as well.

GOO PUNCH!

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 10:37:07 AM »
I own a Silver Monkeys team t-shirt. I wear it with pride.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 7 IS HERE!

Buy my novel, Accounting For Glory, now in paperback!

I made a silly Disney Parks RPG. You should check it out here!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 10:41:53 AM »
I don't care if it's true, that story is hilarious and sadly not so far off from reality

Offline FroGG_NeaLL

• Spectacular Shirtless Rapping
  • CXF Writer
  • WIT DA GREATEST OF EASE
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 12:09:37 PM »
http://www.iheartchaos.com/post/16351454557/get-your-very-own-nickelodeon-guts-aggro-crag-trophy

The Aggro Trophy is worth more than what they pay their workers anyway.

Offline AlaskanHero

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 03:43:45 PM »
The fact no one can tell if the story is joke or not is really sad and very telling.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »
Everyone should just distract themselves with a trip to the hamburger/hot dog buffet.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline fazzle

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2014, 03:52:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's not a buffet anymore.   Now you get a wristband good for a combination of 2 hot dogs, 2 hamburgers or one of each.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 03:54:01 PM »
A few more weeks it will be BYOB.

The second B is for bun.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Online KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 04:02:04 PM »
Hey, TNA is just embracing the Atkins diet.  About 4 years late.

Offline Ed

• Ed
    • My Twitter Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2014, 02:03:15 PM »
They've erased "belt" from the vocabulary in TNA too. Angelina Love almost said belt and had to correct herself. It's just "championship". They did it for the same reason that WWE does it: belts are defended in sports. If belts are defended, the organization has to pay sports taxes. Take away the word = less taxes to pay. Same reason why WWE is "sports entertainment".

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »
Eric Young kind of found the sweet spot of his character in the opening segment.  His line about "maybe I shouldn't be world champion." Then putting some bass in his voice and saying "but I am" is what the character should be.  Young has no reason to doubt himself and shouldn't be simply playing fluke underdog.  He has every reason to believe in himself.  But he also shouldn't be ignorant of the general feeling that no one sees him at that level either.  Really well delivered line.  And the follow up that MVP isn't man enough to take it from him got a reaction in a segment where the crowd didn't seem into.  That was good work by EY.

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2014, 05:19:25 PM »
They booked a clusterfuck x title ladder match for slammiversary.  Pretty sure that sanada will be losing the title since the destination x cash in in NYC probably won't be him.  It won't be crazy steve or Tigre Uno either.  Or manik unless they pull another someone else is under the mask swerve.  Either one of the wolves may be a favorite since they would get a better reaction challenging than the rest of the group.

Assuming they've thought that far ahead.

Which I shouldn't assume.

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2014, 05:56:48 PM »
May new favorite thing in TNA is how Kenny King reacts to any information he gets on Impact.  You can tell him his dog died and he's going to smile and say "We got this" and everything is great. 

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2014, 12:37:09 AM »
Since AJ and Daddy Jeff are no longer around, I'm going to assume Jeff Hardy goes into the HOF.

Offline FroGG_NeaLL

• CXF Writer
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2014, 12:42:42 AM »
The crazy bastard will insist on going in as Willow, as dedicated to that gimmick as he is.

Offline 2GOLD

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2014, 02:19:06 AM »
Jeff needs a new character.

I suggest a Downton Abbey version who comes out with a monocle and cane.

Offline Ed

• Ed
    • My Twitter Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2014, 03:01:58 AM »
I do like how Willow will sometimes finish his sentences in a high pitched voice.

Offline FroGG_NeaLL

• CXF Writer
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2014, 03:30:40 AM »
I do like how Willow will leave my screen.

Offline FroGG_NeaLL

• CXF Writer
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2014, 03:31:46 AM »
for real though, I dug it when he was terrorizing spud and EC3. That was more due to Spud and EC3, though.