Author Topic: Puerto Rican Food Is Incredible  (Read 1325 times)

Description:

Offline Jaxxxson Mayhem

• If I told you cocaine numbers you would think I was lyin'
  • WWWYKI
Puerto Rican Food Is Incredible
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:53:32 PM »

Posted by: Agent of Oblivion March 30, 2009 02:26 pm
Oh lord did I eat like a pig last week.

Tops:

1. Bacalaito (deep fried salt cod). My eyes rolled back in my head on the first bite. Unreal-delicious. Cost a god damn dollar for a piece about this big. (hold your hands nearly shoulder-width apart). I bought this from a gigantic stereotype-looking black woman (red bandana over her hair and all), who took it out of the oil about ten seconds before I ate it. She, and her Pincho-vending neighbor were burning pallets in the inferno-hot barrels that heated the grills and oil pans.

2. Potato King. A streetcart next to a factory that sold me a..I can sort of say this but probably not spell it..babatatilla? Anyway, it's a local spud which is the size of a dog's head and tastes like a sweet tater. I got "todos" on it, which was pulled pork, two cheeses, chili, beans, and other shit. Insane.

3. Pork Pincho. Candy pig on a stick. Unbelievably sweet. Basted with some kind of coconut sauce the vendor got funny-defensive about when I asked what it was.

4. Mofongo. Never had this before! According to Eduard, a New Yorker who I ran into down there, americans go nuts for this shit, and it's no surprise. Mashed plantain done in pork fat, with more pork fat, and meat of the day inside. Really familiar texture and flavors that translate easily to the american palate. Good shit, and filling.

5. Banana Juey Frito. Fried green banana stuffed with curry crab. Definitely touched on the african influence in the food. Yummy. Cost one dollar from the same woman that sold me the Bacalaito.

I'm going back in May.

Posted by: EricMM March 30, 2009 03:22 pm
Its a sad fact that all sorts of American "healh rules" prevent us from eating delicious things off of carts.

Like everyone else in the world does...

Posted by: Brooklyn Zoo March 30, 2009 03:53 pm
I could just ask my mom or any of my relatives to cook that for you. We don't need carts.

Posted by: Agent of Oblivion March 30, 2009 03:58 pm
Exactly. The beauty of that food was its simplicity. With every new discovery, I was asking myself "Why don't I cook this myself?"

Posted by: BurningPirateShipSex March 30, 2009 05:46 pm
QUOTE (Agent of Oblivion @ March 30, 2009 02:26 pm)
Oh lord did I eat like a pig last week.

Tops:

3. Pork Pincho. Candy pig on a stick. Unbelievably sweet. Basted with some kind of coconut sauce the vendor got funny-defensive about when I asked what it was.

It's his semen.

Posted by: Bananarama - Cruel Summer March 30, 2009 06:37 pm
I've never had salt cod, but I'd love to try it. I love getting large quantities of food for little money. One time I got like a pound of catfish for about two bucks, fried it up in some BUTTer and a shit ton of paprika/black pepper/chili powder and ate like a Louisianan king.

Posted by: Sesquipedaliantique March 30, 2009 08:29 pm
I can remember eating a lot of paella whilst I was there, which is delicious. It was also a staple of my favourite restaurant back home, which was Italian, but unfortunately they've since become French and I'm not sure if it's on the menu anymore.

Posted by: special k March 30, 2009 11:32 pm
There's a ton of taco trucks in Seattle. I have the privilege of living near one of the best (which is actually a taco bus).
The usual burritos, tortas, quesadillas. A delicious dish called machaca that is shredded eggs and beef so tender you can eat it without chewing. Mulitas, a mighty little quesadilla made with two corn tortillas, meat and an abundance of avocado. 8 types of meat to choose for for filling. And it's really cheap... almost everything is under 5 bucks, you can get 3 tacos, rice and beans for 4.50.

I haven't had the pleasure of Purto Rican food, but it sounds like an unhealthier version of Cuban or Carribean food... both of which are smashing.

Posted by: Vitamin X March 31, 2009 01:08 am
Portland is blessed with an amazing amount of street food. That said, Puerto Rican food is similar to Cuban food. I've definitely eaten a lot of Mofongo and Bacalao. Both are excellent, even paired well together.

Offline Beer Baron

• I have a new hat.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 03:38:56 PM »
Not sure if it is Puerto Rican or Mexican food, but Jicama is awesome in a salad. Hell even just taking off chunks of it by itself is a tasty snack.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 02:14:09 AM »
Paella done right is great

Pork Pincho sounds the the best street meat ever

I've never really doven into Puerto Rican cuisine before, I should try it

Offline Vitamin X

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 04:32:53 AM »
Paella is Spanish, not Puerto Rican.

Offline GAYGENT OF OBLIVION

• Go Gators
  • Faded as fuck
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 10:01:09 AM »
Pork Pincho sounds the the best street meat ever

The same skewer in an american chain restaurant would cost $13.99 and wouldn't even be half as good.

Four dollars for that and a cooler-wet can of Medalla tossed to me from the ten year old child manning the drink cooler and the wood for the burn barrels. I felt like I was at a barbecue with incredibly friendly distant relatives.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:41:50 PM »
I went to Puerto Rico for my honeymoon, and I had Mofongo. That was one of the greatest things I have ever had. It was awesome!
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion