Unsolved Mysteries and Scary Stuff: Bizarre Tales of the Missing and Murdered Volume 1

Alex Mengel
In February of 1985 a Yonkers, New York police officer named Gary Stymiloski pulled over Alex Mengel for a routine traffic stop. Mengel and his friends had been away shooting and had shotgun shells exposed in his car. This prompted the officer to return to the squad car and request backup. When help arrived Stymiloski was discovered dead in his vehicle, a victim of a single shotgun wound to the head. Mengel abandoned his own car soon after.

The next day Beverly Capone was reported missing from Mount Vernon, New York. Mengel had abducted her, killed her and then headed for Canada in Capone’s car. Police spotted Mengel in Toronto and pursued him by vehicle. Mengel crashed Capone’s car while trying to escape and was arrested. Inside of the car was the scalp of his victim. The rest of her body was discovered in a wooded area soon after. The police assume he scalped Capone in order to use her hair as a wig to go through the border as a woman. Further credence is lent to this belief courtesy of a girl in Skaneateles, New York who told the cops that a person in lipstick and an ill fitting wig attempted to abduct her during the same time that Mengel was heading for Canada.  At least one other person came forward and claimed that Mengel attempted to kidnap her the previous summer.

While going through Mengel’s belongings, five photos of women were found in his car, along with a map of Pennsylvania with Harrisburg circled and several X’s marked. The police have never identified the women and cannot conclusively say whether they were also victim’s of Mengel’s depravity.

Dead Gals

Two months after his arrest Mengel attempted to wrangle a gun from an officer and ended up shot to death.

Marion Parker 
12 year old Marion Parker was the daughter of a wealthy Los Angeles banker. In December of 1927 a man showed up at the school where Parker attended and urgently demanded to see her under the guise that her father had been in an accident. By the time the school realized that the story wasn’t on the up and up it was too late and Marion was gone.

Over the next few days a man who simply called himself “The Fox” began to send a series of letters threatening harm to Marion if the family did not pay a large ransom. Finally Marion’s father came to an agreement to meet the kidnapper in downtown L.A. during the night.  When the “Fox” arrived, Mr. Parker could see his daughter sitting upright in the passenger seat of the darkened car.  After taking the money, “The Fox” shoved Marion out of the vehicle and sped away. Mr. Parker was horrified to find that his daughter was in fact dead, with her legs and arms cut off and her eyes sewn open in order to pass as alive during the ransom exchange. During the next few days bits of her body and organs were found dumped all over L.A.

The police quickly narrowed the list of suspected down and believed that a former employee of Mr. Parker named William Hickman was the culprit. He was arrested soon after, convicted by the courts and executed in San Quentin prison.

Lost Boy Larry
On August 7th of 1973 a panicked sounding child startled CB radio operators around the New Mexico region by pleading for help. The boy said his name was Larry and he had been on a hunting trip with his dad. The child indicated that he was currently trapped in a red and white pickup with his father, who wasn’t responsive after a car accident where their truck flipped into a gully which jammed the doors shut. Larry said he had no food or water and was trapped inside the vehicle. Making matters worse was the fact that Larry would constantly change CB channels in a panic. Due to the atmosphere being very open in New Mexico Larry’s cries were reported by CB operators in California, Wyoming, and Canada, among other places.

The police were contacted and a search of the New Mexico mountains began. Thousands of people volunteered to aid in the hunt, but not all were orchestrated with the police, which caused things to become disorganized.

The Associated Press picked up on the story as word spread across the nation over the next few days. As the time faded away, so did Larry’s signal, which the authorities assumed meant that the CB radio battery was dying out. This made a successful end to the search all the more urgent. Five days after the first call outs from Larry the police still had no vehicle and finally Larry stopped broadcasting as well. Since no reports came in from anywhere about a missing father and son, the authorities officially ruled the whole thing a hoax and canceled the mission to save Larry. Whether it all really a sham or not remains a mystery.

Nicholas Barclay 
On June 13th, 1994 thirteen year old San Antonio native Nicholas Barclay was playing basketball with his friends. He called his mother for a ride home, but she was asleep and his brother refused to wake her up. Barclay never came home. Over three years later in October of 1997 his family was shocked to receive word that Nicholas had been located in a youth shelter in Linares, Spain. He told local officials he had been abducted and taken into Europe to become part of a pedophile ring before he managed to escape.

Barclay’s sister was flown into Spain where she identified Nicholas and took him back home to Texas. Once back home, some felt his appearance had changed too dramatically and something was amiss. His family accepted him as their lost son however and he resumed his former life. The FBI wanted to close the case, so they took DNA and fingerprint samples from the teen. The results conclusively proved that “Nicholas” was actually twenty-three year old French con artist Frederic Bourdin. Bourdin was arrested and admitted he had impersonated a director for the national center for missing children and then pulled info from their computers in order to assume the identity of Barclay. Bourdin ended up sentenced to six years in prison for perjury and passport fraud. He has since been released and deported back to Europe, where he continued to assume the identity of missing minors. The real story of what happened to Nicholas Barclay remains a mystery.

The Stonehenge Hippies
Stonehenge hippies

Stonehenge has long been a place of wonderment and some find it to be a place of mystery. It was also the sight of one of the stranger disappearances ever noted: In August of 1971 Stonehenge was not yet a place that was under protection from the general public and it was a favorite spot of local “hippies” to engage in their drinking, drugs and general merriment. One night a storm came through around 2 a.m. and lightning strikes soon followed. Two independent witnesses, a local farmer and a police officer from the region both claimed to see the lightning strike the stone pillars of Stonehenge. A blue light came over the area that was so intense that the men had to shield their eyes. Suddenly the hippies camping there started to scream intensely. By the time the men arrived to help, the area was vacated. The men found charred tent pegs and the remains of the camping gear. Five campers went missing. The letters of one of the women who vanished was found after the fact and they strongly suggest something other worldly or supernatural occurred. You can read those here:

Disappearance of Stonehenge Hippies on Creepy Pasta

Author’s note: Creepy Pasta is a site that has helped spread fake things such as “Slenderman” and such but googling “Stonehenge Hippies” brings up several other sites listing the case, so you can be your own judge on it’s validity.


Written by Andrew Lutzke

The grumpy old man of culturecrossfire.com, lover of wrasslin' and true crimes.

Leave a Reply