Unsolved Mysteries and Scary Stuff: Bizarre Cases of the Missing and Murdered Vol. 5

I have to start with a brief warning to my loyal readers that this article leans a bit toward the tinfoil hat crowd but the evidence of something strange going on in the cases covered certainly fits the overall idea of this series.

 Michael Loudenslager
On April 19th, 1995 the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in downtown Oklahoma City was struck by a terrorist attack perpetrated officially by Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichlos. 168 people were killed and 680 others were injured. Many buildings and cars in the surrounding area were damaged as well from the explosives that came from a bomb filled van left by McVeigh.  McVeigh was picked up within 90 minutes and Nichols was linked to the attack soon after. The men were said to be angered by the federal governments handling of several incidents including their aggressively shutting down David Koresh’s Waco “cult”. The terrorist bombing was done by McVeigh on the second anniversary of the siege on Koresh’s compound.

The Oklahoma City bombing has some controversies stemming from it, one of which being the circumstances behind Michael Loudenslager’s death. Loudenslager was a Government Services Administration employee who worked at the Murrah Federal building. In the weeks before the terror attack Loudenslager had noted an increased amount of explosives being stored in the building and began to implore his coworkers to find alternative places for their children to stay other than the daycare located inside the Murrah building. On the day of the bombing Loudenslager was at work and was seen by many witnesses helping in the rescue efforts in the minutes after the building was bombed. Some later stated that Loudenslager was arguing loudly with a Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms agent over the housing of the explosives in the Murrah building and the chaos that it had now caused.

It was a shock to those who saw Loudenslager’s rescue efforts when it was later reported that his body was found by his desk on the first floor, apparently having died in the explosion. The eyewitnesses created a problem for those who were trying to sell an “official” story of what happened and who was responsible for the Murrah building bombing. People by the name of: Jack Colvert, Jackie Majors, Buddy Youngblood, Dr. H. Don Chumley, and Officer Terrence Yeakey all swore that Loudenslager was part of the initial rescue effort. All of them ended up dead soon after.

Dr. H. Don Chumley
Dr. H. Don Chumley ran the Broadway Medical Clinic, which was located about a half mile from the Murrah building. Chumley and his step son Shaun Jones were among the first to arrive after the blast went off. Jones later stated that Chumley and Officer Terrance Yeakey worked side by side off and on during the hours following the attack. The doctor claimed that a pair of federal agents came up to him and asked to be bandaged up despite having no wounds. Eyewitness Michelle Moore backed up Chumley’s story and then went on to state that Chumley told the agents he had real injuries to deal with and wanted no part in whatever charade the men were taking part in. The agents then went to another doctor on scene and attempted the same ruse. Chumley stepped in and told the agents he would report them if they didn’t end their deceptive behavior. Incidents like that and other things the doc saw at the scene drove Chumley to collect evidence to prove the things he saw that day and the government’s official account were not cohesive.

Several months later Chumley was flying a Cessna 210 from Texas back to Oklahoma when the plane went from 7000 feet to full nosedive out of no where. The crash killed Chumley instantly. The FAA could find nothing wrong with his plane and the accident has never been explained. Chumley’s assembled information was never made public.

Terrance Yeakey

Terrance Yeakey was a determined young man with aspirations to join the FBI someday. He served his country in the army and became an MP. A role with the Oklahoma City Police came next in 1990. He reentered active service during the Gulf War of 1991 before returning home and marrying Tonia Rivera. Together they had four children.

Yeakey was just blocks away from the Murrah building when the explosion occurred.  Witnesses and Yeakey reported a helicopter floating overhead in circles just before the bombs went off. A humming sound was heard and flashes emanated from the building as the windows burst outward. A blue flash fired from the building and headed skyward as the bombs detonated. Yeakey was on the scene in less than two minutes and saw the carnage of building parts and bodies laying everywhere. He rushed in and with others help began to pull the injured to safety. Yeakey worked at this task long past the point of exhaustion, ultimately going 48 hours before sleeping.

Yeakey noted some odd occurances in the first moments of the tragedy including police lines having been set up behind the building within minutes of the bombing. A swath of ATF and FBI agents were also on the scene almost instantly, in gear and unharmed. Evidence of additional explosive detonations were also noted.  Yeakey also claimed that in the process of his rescue efforts over the long hours following the attack that he was stopped by federal agents and threatened with death if he didn’t keep silent on the things he saw. It was for that reason that Yeakey at first refused to go to a hospital after he fell two stories during one of his rescue attempts. He feared something would happen to him while he lay vulnerable in a hospital room.

Yeakey called his now ex-wife Tonia and had her pick him up from the hospital. Once in the car, Tonia said Yeakey broke down and tearfully said “It’s not what they’re saying it is, Tonia. It’s not what they’re saying it is. It’s all a lie. It’s all a lie. It’s not true. It’s not what they are saying. It didn’t happen that way.”

The following day Yeakey attempted to return to the bombing site and photograph something that unnerved him which he saw under the day care center. Officials stopped him. The Oklahoma Bombing Investigation Committee later speculated that Yeakey saw evidence of a unreported bombing device that had been found by officials during the aftermath of the attack. Yeakey, now in chronic pain from his fall and scared for his life due to the agents threats spent the next few months sleeping erratically as he watched helplessly as his police career was sabotaged by claims that he suffered mental health concerns in the wake of all that he underwent.

He continued to pursue what he saw as the truth behind the official story and went about collecting information, testimonials, and other evidence. He ended up in several heated arguments with police and federal officials as he prodded for intel.  At some point during this time he began to be watched by federal agents.  His ex Tonia later stated that in late April of 1996 somebody tampered with the brakes on the Yeakey’s vehicle and a mechanic confirmed that the damage had to be intentional and was not normal wear and tear.

On May 11th, 1996 Yeakey was to be awarded the Medal of Valor from the Oklahoma City Police for his efforts on the day of the terror attack. Yeakey wouldn’t live to see the day. On May 8th at 9 a.m. Yeakey took nine boxes of files and video evidence he had collected and went to the police station where he engaged in yet another argument with his supervisors. Yeakey met a friend for lunch afterwards and told him that he was warned he’d end up dead if he didn’t stop his personal investigation. They broke from lunch shortly after noon and that was the last time Yeakey was officially seen alive.

His car was found abandoned in a field around 6 p.m. that evening. The deputy who first spotted the car knew Yeakey and immediately feared the worst. Both front seats were covered in blood. A razor lay on the dash. A bloody knife was found in the glove box. The blood was of such a quantity that it reportedly dripped from the door when the police first opened it. It was estimated that three pints of blood was splattered in the car.   The car seats were found unbolted, the floor boards ripped up and the side panels removed. Burn marks were visible on the car floor.

Yeakey’s body was found a mile away. Very little blood was found around him. Rope marks were evident on his neck. His wrists, arms and throat were slashed at least eleven times – each two to three inches deep – severing arteries, tendons and ligaments. The funeral home director later described that the wounds were so severe that he had to sew them up before he could even began the embalming process.

A bullet wound was evident in Yeakey’s skull. No gun was found by the body until FBI agents came to the scene, declared jurisdiction and produced a gun within five minutes. The kill shot came from a 45 degree angle above his head – execution style. Grass in his cuts indicated he was dragged. Blood that was not his was located on his shirt. Medical reports stated that Yeakey’s face was bruised and swollen. Those reports were quickly redacted from the public files.   The official medical examiner, Dr. Larry Balding declared the death a “suicide”.

Some Oklahoma police officers were outraged by this verdict but when they raised hell they were harassed by their superiors as well as by unmarked cars that sat ominously in front of their residences. Some officers video taped the “stalking” as a safeguard.  Police chaplain Jack Poe was outed by some officers as the narc who was used to garner information from Yeakey and then deliver it to who ever wished to silence him.

Yeakey’s widow also faced harassment. Her home was broken into and a note was left stating “we know where you are”. The family moved four times within one year. One time when they arrived home their front door was off it’s hinges and a get well card was attached to the closet door in her bedroom. Her phones were tapped and somebody called her answering machine and played back private conversations Tonia had in order to show her that they were watching her. The family’s torment lead them to silence themselves for many years.

Next time I’ll look at one last strange OKC related death and then we’ll venture away for some less conspiracy oriented fare. Thanks for reading. 


Written by Andrew Lutzke

The grumpy old man of culturecrossfire.com, lover of wrasslin' and true crimes.

Leave a Reply