Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions 2022

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Dude's kept kayfabe his whole career. I respect that.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Meanwhile, some might argue that the gimmick closest to his own IRL personality is his on again, off again BFF's first gimmick of "Dizzy" Ed Boulder

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I mean going back, he has always maintained the Thunderlips edge, even when being an alpha super hero cockstrong good guy. Hogan's really kept gimmick roots.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I feel like I heard a commentator make the same “hates team sports” excuse about a different wrestler. That’s vague, but I really get the impression it’s common bullshit.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Lawler was last moving decent numbers in Memphis in 88 I believe, even though they had an ESPN deal and a good roster in 90.
SMW had a 50 some year old as his most viable babyface who worked every few months. (RnR Express were also not together when SMW opened)
Terry Funk was the heart of ECW, and Sabu was a phenom, but their was a lot in the whole package.
UWF and AWF had a slew of older talent. (Not the weekly towns concept either)
Dusty couldn't move tickets in 1989 in his former hot bed in Florida.
Global had a bunch of established dudes and young guys with potential. Patriot and Eddie Gilbert weren't going to draw week in and week out in Texas and whatnot.
Am I missing a good answer?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
1993 in Southern wrasslin' JYD! Sheiky Baby! Big Boris! Austin Idol, Plus SMW cameos and Well Dunn looking like they are in Demolition gear thanks to the VHS degrading.

Boris tries to put over escaping the figure four as a big deal. How quant in a world where ECW is forming. The Sheik of Iron is still clubbin! JYD is only a few weeks away from getting yet another WCW run. Wrestling is weird.
It's p. amazing that as thoroughly cooked JYD was almost a decade earlier that he was still an "indie draw" (and getting occasional comeback shots in WCW) through the mid '90s. It's a testament to his charisma.
Am I missing a good answer?

Wrestling was so toxic in North America in '93 that I don't think there IS a good answer. WWF and WCW were having their worst years ever. I honestly don't know if anything could have drawn. On a national scale, not only was its reputation damaged by scandal but just the fact that its peak in pop culture relevancy had passed. On a regional scale (more relevant to Austin Idol), they were probably still burnt out from sad decline and no-shows during the dying days of the territories.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Referencing Lenny Lane in the WCW thread got me wondering.

What was the last phantom title change? Seems like it's something that'd be impossible in the internet age but I feel like WWE did it for some minor titles in the '00s?

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I don't recall any recent phantom title switches but WWE occasionally still flips titles at house shows, the most recent being Andrade being Mysterio for the US title at MSG right before the pandemic.

Are there any noteworthy title switches that aren't documented on video? The most famous example is probably Patterson's IC title win (IF it happened).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lenny Lane "losing" the WCW Cruiserweight Title to Psicosis in October '99. Which is a match that never happened. Turner Broadcasting just demanded WCW drop the West Hollywood Blondes angle then on the next Nitro WCW said Lane lost the title to Psicosis at an untelevised show the previous weekend. Poor Psicosis then immediately lost the title to Disco Inferno.

Poor Psicosis. Such an underrated cruiserweight and he only gets a BS reign that lasts less than a day!*

Lenny Lane winning the WCW Cruiserweight Title was IMO where the division jumped the shark. AND YET, Lenny Lane would look like Rey Mysterio compared to a lot of the people who would win the title after him...

*Looking at Wikipedia- it looks like Psicosis got another reign before this that lasted a week which makes me feel marginally better. He deserved more than a week but it's good knowing fake beating Lenny Lane wasn't his ONLY title win.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The WCW Thunder rewatch podcast I listen to ("What's New?" reacts only) is in March of 1999 rn actually. People forget that weird, brief window in late winter and Spring of '99 that was WCW's last gasp of being mildly competitive. Nitro was getting creamed in the ratings but buyrates and live attendance were still strong. SuperBrawl IX got almost as good of a buyrate as St. Valentine's Day Massacre and the Hogan/Flair house show series got their best house show attendance ever IIRC.

Ratings didn't consistently poop the bed until the Summer of Suck and they didn't fall below 3 until Russo came in, which contradicts him saying he caused a mild resurgence in WCW ratings during his first run.

I'm assuming the reason 8-30 and 9-6 were so close is cause RAW was pushed to 11 PM for US Open?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Armstrong Alley is killing it with the obscure territory uploads. Vancouver is thought to be the worst territory. Most famous person to come out of the territory is probably a teenaged Mauro Ranallo.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Armstrong Alley is killing it with the obscure territory uploads. Vancouver is thought to be the worst territory. Most famous person to come out of the territory is probably a teenaged Mauro Ranallo.
Tenta was there.

and Hawk

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Obviously, more people than Mauro passed their way though Vancouver. I'm just talking about wrestlers who first established their presence in that territory.

Tenta started in All Japan I'm assuming he worked Vancouver as a low pressure hometown gig between Japanese tours.

It does look like Hawk had his first matches in Vancouver so good call there. It looks like Piper got his start in the Tomko territory too.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
More weird territories!?

I mentioned California Championship Wrestling in (IIRC) the AWA thread thread as one of the more obscure promotions to get national TV time during this '80s wrestling boom. And hey, they're using Afrika Bambaata and The Art of Noise as music so they're probably hipper than '86 AWA.

At the very least, @BruiserBrody and whoever else here watches Young Rock might get a gig out of this.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
SummerSlam '90 is low key one of the oddest shows in WWF history. That awful Vince McMahon-Roddy Piper announce team, Ultimate Warrior being the first B show World Champion and getting overshadowed by Hulk's comeback, the weird backstage vignettes.