Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Better Call Saul

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My bud I mentioned in another thread posted this today from set. He's previously been on BCS episodes in non-speaking parts so fingers crossed that he gets some lines.

j6Q9P52.jpg

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great 2 episodes. I'm still a little worried that they're going to have to rush through some things to get to the end of this show and have Saul be who he is once Breaking Bad starts, but this show has earned the benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing.

My guess is that Kim does something that pushes him over the edge, maybe she's the reason he knows about vacuum repair in the first place.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was wondering if the vacuum repair shop will make an appearance again since Robert Forrester left this mortal coil but you could probably just show them going into the store and people would get the idea, huh.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible they filmed some more stuff with him during El Camino that they could use. Like you said, they wouldn't need to do too much for people to get the idea of what is happening.

Other things I liked from the premiere:

Everything with the Kettlemans. I love how nice and naïve Mr. Kettleman is and how happy he was to see Jimmy and hear he was married.

Saul accusing the country club of antisemitism.

Leaving it to us to put the pieces together that Lalo killed that guy to use him as a stand-in.

The cold open was really well done, too, even if I was a bit upset we didn't get to Omaha right away.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
From a narrative standpoint, not as tragic as Hank or Jane but still stung all the same.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Michael Mando is great but the Nacho character really didn't have any purpose anymore and he got a great send-off.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great 2 episodes. I'm still a little worried that they're going to have to rush through some things to get to the end of this show and have Saul be who he is once Breaking Bad starts, but this show has earned the benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing.
I still feel like this, too. The last 2 episodes, while both good, have mostly seemed like table setters and I'm really looking forward to D-Day, but I feel like we have a long way to go between where Jimmy is now and Saul calling Francesa "honey tits" and laughing about it (though I guess him pointing out how much she's getting paid when he was being a bit of a dick to her about the phone call can kind of explain why she would put up with it).

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I kinda figured that's where we were heading when Lalo appeared out of the shadows, but I still let out an audible gasp when it happened.

Episode title is "Plan and Execution", so...

I liked that little look Kim & Jimmy gave each other when Howard revealed his marriage problems, almost an "ah, shit, I think we may have taken this too far."

Last edited:

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I need a fucking canister of oxygen. Fuck me. How the hell are they able to have a story thread wrapped up with the expected outcome and still design it to feel like it came out of no where? This episode and the
Nacho suicide
episode.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder when Jimmy and Kim pivoted from doing "something unforgiveable" to Howard to something they all agreed wouldn't hurt him that much and he would land on his feet.

I guess they got there in the end, though.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I figured at the beginning of the season that Jimmy would push things too far, something horrible would happen to Howard, and Kim ultimately leaves him because of it.

Tony Dalton, who plays Lalo is so goddamn charming. Home run casting.

Can’t wait until July 11.

Reactions: SFH

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean, Howard's death is squarely on Kim's shoulders. Jimmy wanted to postpone but Kim insisted it had to be that day. They postpone and Howard almost definitely is still alive. Kim's been at least an equal partner, if not more, in the "fuck with Howard" scheme.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kim didn't appreciate Howard being condescending to her when he warned her about getting too close with Jimmy, I think that's what mostly put her over the edge WRT pulling this con. She'd already shown that she likes pulling relatively low stakes cons, so I could see why she'd want to push the envelope a little bit and screw over someone she doesn't really like.

Speaking of their previous cons, I wonder if some of their marks from earlier on start recognizing the sleazy lawyer with TV commercials and billboards around town as Viktor (with a K) and try to get reimbursed for all of the Zafiro Añejo they drank.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My guess is that Kim does something that pushes him over the edge, maybe she's the reason he knows about vacuum repair in the first place.
I'm still going with my vacuum repair idea, but now it has something to do with Kim figuring out it was Gus she was talking to on the phone, Gus telling Mike to have Kim killed and him and Jimmy using her disappearing as a way to fake her death.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seehorn finally got nominated for an Emmy but her and Odenkirk were the only acting nominations.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My bud posed with Esposito on set before the season dropped. Finally see him in this episode in a scene with Mike and Gus (as "Sam"). Ten seconds later he walks out of frame and his character never comes back. It's a good thing I was already watching the show and enjoying it because if I just watched half a season, then waited for this episode during the break for him to pop in for ten seconds I'd rag him.

Anyway, love this show, surprised by some of the plot threads that were knitted. I read an interview explaining why they made some of the decisions they did and all seem valid.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They've really been ripping off the band-aids quick these last 2 episodes with how they've tied up the Lalo and Kim storylines.

I've seen people speculating that we won't see Kim again on the show, but I can't see anyway that's the case. There's no way she doesn't show up in the Gene timeline and I wouldn't be surprised if at least part of one of the last episodes shows what she's up to during Breaking Bad.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I kind of felt the same way, I was just waiting for something big to happen the whole episode.

I knew as soon as soon as she kissed him in the garage she was done with him, still surprised me that she gave up being a lawyer, though.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Felt like there would be a time jump, but an episode or two later. Not ready for this to be over with.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think that breakup might be the greatest scene I've ever watched on television.