Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Who had the best "combined" career (WWE/F and WCW/Crockett)?

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Random question: when taking their careers with both organizations into consideration, who had the best combined stints in WWE/F and WCW/Crockett?

My top 10:

10. Dustin Rhodes
9. Mick Foley
8. Chris Jericho
7. Ricky Steamboat
6. Steve Austin
5. Ric Flair
4. Rey Mysterio Jr.
3. Eddie Guerrero
2. Randy Savage
1. Hulk Hogan

Others considered: Bam Bam Bigelow, Big Boss Man, Big Show/Giant, Booker T, Bret Hart, Chris Benoit, Curt Hennig, Dusty Rhodes, Fit Finlay, Greg Valentine, Haku/Meng, Ivan Koloff, Kevin Nash, Larry Zbyszko, Paul Orndorff, Rick Rude, Roddy Piper, Scott Hall, Sean Waltman, Sgt. Slaughter, Sid, Terry Funk, William Regal

Yes, I know I left Luger out

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Luger main evented PPVs in both orgs so he's on the list by default IMO.
Every single person on this list had a better WWF run than Luger IMO, main events in a shitty time for the company notwithstanding.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Austin had a good run in WCW but was never a top guy there. Hogan is definitely number 1 as he headlined multiple PPVs for both companies and yeah, Luger deserves to be on there as well (but in the lower half). I'd put Nash in my top 10. He carried WWE for a year and was headlining WCW PPVs until they closed shop.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Luger, Nash, Hogan, Piper, Funk, and Savage.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Triple H stuff (and the BESTIAL SEX feud with Angle) aside, Booker T did have a pretty good run. However, those angles were bad enough that Idk if I could put him in a Top 5.

Luger deserves an honorable mention cause he was more prominent on the card than most guys outside of the top 5 but creatively, his run mostly suuuucked (sorry Povy) and kayfabe wise, he was a complete joke and choker on entire back half of his run.

(not to mention, there were long stretches of his WCW run where he was a goof and/or a choker)

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Luger has one standout moment in WWF to me (bodyslamming Yoko). There's a ton of guys who had way better runs. A guy like Foley had a better combined run where he wasn't a top guy in WCW but he had a super memorable run and gained a massive cult following which helped his WWF run get going.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't see an argument for BBB over Luger. As much as I love the Beast from the East, all of his runs in both of the big two were very disappointing to some extent. He just didn't fail in as high profile of matches as Luger.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I'd put Flair and Jericho ahead of Guerrero and Savage, personally, but there's thin spaces between them.

1. Hulk Hogan
He was on top in both companies during some of their biggest periods of income and relevance, so of course he's #1. Rock n' Wrestling doesn't work the same without Hulkamania, and the nWo doesn't have anywhere near the same impact without "Hogan's a BAD GUY now" being a factor.

2. Ric Flair
He was, arguably, the top draw for JCP/WCW in both companies history. Ratings and gates may have seen greater heights with Hogan, but the WCW crowds chanted "we want Flair" whenever he wasn't around. His WWF/E runs are also quite eventful, between the '92 Rumble and his run up WM24.

3. Chris Jericho
Wildcard pick, as far as placement goes, but even the nature in which he left WCW (and all of the backstage headaches) didn't detract from his being the best non-nWo midcard heel for 1998 and 1999. Then he gets to the WWF and becomes a major player that gets shuffled around the card and almost always delivers, whether it was the stuff with the Radicals and HHH in 2000, being the first Undisputed champion, or his epic 2008 "best in the world at what I do" run. He may have petered off during those later runs, but that he was able to stay relevant and deliver memorable moments and matches in both companies over the span of 17 years is insane.

4. Randy Savage
The man who set the bar for a great WrestleMania performance, topped the card in both companies, and delivered great matches.

5. Rey Mysterio Jr.
THE focus of the Cruiserweight division, one of the hottest midcard acts in either company, and a couple runs at the top in WWE. Even shyte booking in both companies couldn't stop him from standing out.

6. Eddie Guerrero
I'll be honest, he's this high mostly because of his WWE run from his 2002 return up to his death in 2005. He was always a great in-ring talent in both companies, but his WCW work was always marred by weak promos and bad booking, not to mention his demons. When he leaned into the goofier side of "Latino Heat" in the WWF is when he really shined and put it all together, and that run from the SmackDown Six up until the "Dominic" feud is the stuff of legend.

7. Kevin Nash
I'm surprised he isn't being mentioned more, because even though his ringwork was often shyte? The dude was OVER and pushed to the moon. He was a major player once he showed up as Diesel, literally kickstarted the hottest act in WCW history (thereby forcing the WWF's hand on a few key changes), and held the top belts in both companies. His return to WWE in 2002 may have been garbage, but his 90s runs were important.

8. Booker T
Half of a top tag team in both companies? Check. World title holder in both companies? Check. Very over midcard worker in both companies? Check. He survived Russo's worst booking period and came out the other side as a genuine top talent that even diehard WWF fans admired, and I'd love to see the alternate universe version where he isn't treated as a jobber joke for the first few years of his WWE run and is handled appropriately from the get-go.

9. Mick Foley
His WCW work was met with brief bursts of excellence (the feuds with Sting, Vader, and the Nasty Boys) but marred by terrible booking (Lost in Cleveland, dumping him like he's hot trash once Hogan came in), and his WWF work is what cemented his legacy in the business. He's only this low because everything that was great that he did in WCW was ruined by the constant cycle of bad booking choices in the office.

10. Ricky Steamboat
He's this low because of how brief his WWF runs were (and the less said about that second one the better), and because his 90s WCW run ended prematurely. A handful of classic matches (WM3 with Savage, the Flair series for JCP), a great hand that aided younger talent in WCW (particularly Steve Austin and Shane Douglas), and just an all-around respectable guy in an era of the industry where most of the top talents don't fit that bill.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't rate Nash as highly in WWF because he headlined in an era where business and ratings were in the toilet and didn't have the in-ring consistency or promos to carry him along like Bret and Shawn did. He was revolutionary in WCW, but in the long run, did almost as much to kill WCW as he did to revitalize it.

Like CWM and Kamala said, Luger's time in WWF stunk. He's basically remembered for two things, only one of them positive: slamming Yoko and choking at Summerslam.

I'd rate Flair higher if he spent more than a year and a half of his peak in WWF. I didn't want to let his WCW run weigh too heavily in his favor.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Why are guys who struggled in the midcard during the same down times that Nash etc headlined (Bigelow for ex) not held to that same standard? If Luger loses points for bad booking like the Summerslam countout, it seems like Bigelow would be even further down the totem pole than that. Worst finish ever vs OMG at Wrestlemania 4, loss to LT, Doink stuff. The WCW runs in 88, 90, and 98/99 were about a year combined.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I guess because I hold guys like Nash and Luger to a higher standard than Bigelow since he wasn't expected to headline? I don't know, I threw this together 5 minutes before I went to sleep to generate discussion.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
From a kayfabe perspective, Bigelow might be the most disappointing wrestler of all time. Almost every one of his WWF and WCW runs, he was brought in as a main eventer or a hot (heh) newcomer with potential to reach main event soon and everytime, before long, he ended up in undercard hell.

It's still weird that someone with his attributes never broke through but I guess he came along 10 years too late. Territory system really would have been perfect for a guy like BBB. He could've came in, headlined then bounced before he wore out his welcome.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't think Bret's WCW run is as bad as the consensus of the IWC and there are more bright spots than people remember but it certainly wasn't GOOD.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bret's WCW run was much better than Luger's WWF run. I was going through 1998 Nitro last year, and one thing that stood out was that Bret was still delivering quality matches on a consistent basis nearly every week. He was booked terribly, but WCW Bret in ring was very underrated.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
IIRC, he was one of two wrestlers (the other being Flair) that was a Triple Crown champion in both promotions... And there was also the legendary El Dandy promo.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Haku has really had one of the most solid runs a worker could ever ask for. Lowkey pick, even if he didn't become a massive star or anything. Still had main events with Hogan in two decades, teamed with Andre, was a mainstay in the WCW midcard for years and was their final hardcore champion.

Reactions: Laz

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Luger’s standout wwe moments that are better than almost all the moments of other careers no matter where they wrestled:

- when he first drank a glass of milk as a debuting bodybuilder at mania 8, live via satellite. Sure hogan told kids to drink their milk but how many times did he actually do it? If Luger doesn’t drink milk here then Kurt doesn’t have his milk truck moment, the line is direct
- posing in front of a mirror in front of all those lovely ladies with the fireworks at mania 9
- body slamming yoko
- 94 rumble finish
- telling mr perfect THATS BOGUS MAN at mania 10.

I could go on but I think I proved my point

Valeyard

Reaction score
Barry Darsow had a really solid run as well. Sure had a way lower ceiling but he maintained that spot for like ten years, which in those days is a fucking feat.