Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Brody and Friends talk about the AWA (Brody has no friends)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

More outlaw/indy shows in Verne's heartland!

200 year old Bruiser teaming with SILO SAM! Yikes!!

Sam did the AWA battle royal tour in either 86 or 87

IIRC Bruiser's last shot with Verne was Feb 87 when they also brought back Billy Robinson for the closing of a historic Twin Cities arena. WWF countered that show by bringing back Mad Dog Vachon for an "appreciation" night.
I WAS WRONG!! It was Feb 88! Stupid brain! Tom Zenk worked Robinson and obviously he wasn't working here and WWF at the same time. Fool!!

---

Curt Hennig breaks down the forbidden door as he takes part in the main event women's match even though he was already working for the WWF when this aired.

I'm going to check the woman's match out as the comments on the video say it is business exposing BAD!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I kind of want to see how the Apters covered the Hogan/Saito angle as they kicked the feud off with Saito playing a Japanese dignitary or whatever who was to gift Hogan an award or somesuch, only to attack him instead. Hogan almost had to have shared Japan cards w/ Saito. Plus Saito was WWF tag champ and a star in Florida and other places, so Hogan looks the fool for falling for this.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score

I kind of want to see how the Apters covered the Hogan/Saito angle as they kicked the feud off with Saito playing a Japanese dignitary or whatever who was to gift Hogan an award or somesuch, only to attack him instead. Hogan almost had to have shared Japan cards w/ Saito. Plus Saito was WWF tag champ and a star in Florida and other places, so Hogan looks the fool for falling for this.
Surprisingly just one tour earlier in the year. Hogan and Saito crossed paths in 1977 in Florida in a few battle royals, Hogan so early in his career that he was actually working as the Super Destroyer. They mention Japan as canon with Hogan beating Inoki so we can't sweep that under the rug. But this is Saito's first AWA appearance so unless you read the magazines, you'd be in the dark.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
@BruiserBrody writes "Simply put...an absolute masterpiece"

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Here's a Crusher promo from his GA run during one of the times where he and Verne were in a money spat.
Heenan was in GA as well.
Crusher supposedly did not get over as his career was as a mid west star mostly and the southern fans just saw a 50 year old instead of the toughest man alive.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
OMG! @BruiserBrody has definitely posted about one of these matches before. There's supposed to be a bodyslam match between John Nord and Kokina Maximus (baby Yoko) but Yoko bails for some reason and his manager Sheik Adnan al-Kaisey has to fill in and get his old ass slammed.

Seriously, I'm lirl at a promotion so incompetent that they mess up something so simple as a bodyslam match!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

This channel is doing God's work as they upload 1990 Hospice AWA weekly.

I love how Verne, after being on TV for 40 years, still seems dumb founded to how to act as he looks around as he cuts his "promo". (The Wrestling Classics crew once told me that was part of his folksy appeal.)

Sarge has several segments here, however his WWF return vignettes starting airing a week before this AWA show made air.

Wendi Richter appears in the main event. From what it appears from both crazymax and wrestlingdata, the match actually was taped 9 months earlier. Baron and Sarge both do promos with the women, so either the results are lost or they taped the TCS promos way back then and decided to air everything late.
Crazymax has nothing that matches this TV card but does say the June St Paul show was canceled. I wonder if this whole show is old matches with new wrap arounds by Groovy Greg to cover for a TV taping being canceled? (They did do some TV re run matches in the past but I'm not sure about whole shows?)

Buck Zumhofe cuts a promo that is "funny" (creepy?) in retrospect as he talks about the million dollar TCS prize by saying "You can't believe the things I'd do for 15 dollars, much less a million!"

Baron VR is in full fuck it mode as he cuts a promo in a casual dress shirt instead of his Baron gimmick and does a very silly promo on the Wizard of Oz, ending by making a wacky face and hopping towards the camera. (Yes he did silly shit in the past including dressing in drag to help Martel vs Garvin and Precious)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
OMG! @BruiserBrody has definitely posted about one of these matches before. There's supposed to be a bodyslam match between John Nord and Kokina Maximus (baby Yoko) but Yoko bails for some reason and his manager Sheik Adnan al-Kaisey has to fill in and get his old ass slammed.

Seriously, I'm lirl at a promotion so incompetent that they mess up something so simple as a bodyslam match!
I just watched that over the weekend or something like that.
To be fair, the AWA had a history of shitty booking such as the Blackwell vs Brody (heh) series of "Lights out" matches that would end with Blackwell beating Adnan instead. (A trick Dusty pulled off at least once in JCP IIRC)
=
I also meant to mention how the AWA's final "season" switched music to something almost sort of somber instead of the more upbeat music that the 1980s TV shows had. It really feels like a wake instead of an action show. If I'm not wrong, they kicked off that music and the final season with a retrospective on all the stars from over the years, which made their rookie class working in front of empty seats all the more depressing.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Buck Zumhofe cuts a promo that is "funny" (creepy?) in retrospect as he talks about the million dollar TCS prize by saying "You can't believe the things I'd do for 15 dollars, much less a million!"
GettyImages-587967668.jpg

"Are you looking for a vacation spot, Mr. Zumhofe?"

Do you think that Wendi Richter should have been a bigger star post WWF or do you think that there wasn't much there without Cyndi Lauper and WWF machine?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Lauper/Richter act didn't even draw when it was the most pushed thing on WWF TV. The WWF had to add more headline matches to the MSG show where Richter beats her on MTV just to prevent the home audience from seeing a major arena that was half empty.

AND I LIKE ALL THAT SHIT! So I'm speaking strictly on a business basis.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Lauper/Richter act didn't even draw when it was the most pushed thing on WWF TV. The WWF had to add more headline matches to the MSG show where Richter beats her on MTV just to prevent the home audience from seeing a major arena that was half empty.
sorry I'm going to refer to modern stuff, Brod BUT...

I think it is important to have historical perspective when we discuss current events like WWE & AEW ticket sales dropping. WWF experienced dips in popularity intermittently during the '80s boom period (aforementioned late '85 period and the spring/summer of '87 when there was a bunch of post WMIII injuries and firings). Now a dip might be indicative of a full blown crash but sometimes, people not buying tickets is more of "I'll see you later." rather than "Goodbye forever". I almost wonder if historically, fall isn't one of the worst times for wrestling attendance?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
sorry I'm going to refer to modern stuff, Brod BUT...

I think it is important to have historical perspective when we discuss current events like WWE & AEW ticket sales dropping. WWF experienced dips in popularity intermittently during the '80s boom period (aforementioned late '85 period and the spring/summer of '87 when there was a bunch of post WMIII injuries and firings). Now a dip might be indicative of a full blown crash but sometimes, people not buying tickets is more of "I'll see you later." rather than "Goodbye forever". I almost wonder if historically, fall isn't one of the worst times for wrestling attendance?
Considering most territories had huge Xmas and Thanksgiving shows, I don't think the thesis works.

You can also point to the overall lack of matches they had Wendi work, which was odd for a 2-3 crew circuit they were running, Wendi vs random woman A and getting a clean win should have been easy and obvious booking, It's not like many of their other upper tier stars didn't work lower competition to gather W's on random house shows.
--
Plus if other promoters thought Wendi could move tickets, we probably would have seen her again before mid 1988 AWA 3 years later.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Not quite AWA, but a gimmick that fit the Milwaukee area.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So this was a Twins Cities produced series in 1999 to capitalize off the wrestling boom.

1999 Verne opens the show with "Today we are covering a guy I'm not a fan of"
LOLOLOLOL
I wonder if it stung that Hogan was still headlining as a world champ 16 years after Verne lost him.

Ol' Verne is still looking all over the place instead at the camera.

Polish Joe is producing.

Verne plugs the Minnesota NCAA wrestling team. They should have dug up the now middle age Koslowski Brothers for a cameo tp give it the full 1988 AWA feel.

Oh, and there's some vintage Hogan matches too.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's hilarious that the late '90s wrestling boom was so huge that AWA was able to get a clip show back on the air (even though Idk how widespread syndication was).

"Hey kids. You like what you see on Monday night? Well, here's an old, bald hairy French Canadian acting like a dog."
@BruiserBrody woof