Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The WWF B, C, and D shows.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Genuinely curious what direction that they were going with with John Tenta during the '94 WWF run. Guessing a straight up singles match with Yokozuna at King of the Ring and/or SummerSlam '94 was inevitable. Were they really going to make him the #3 or #4 babyface in the company?

Also he was only 31 at this point! I always assumed he was super old (well in, his early-mid '40s) during the Golga days but he was only two years older than I am now. Jfc.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Wasn't Typhoon also around at this time doing job duty?

People are generally taking better care of themselves nowadays and also the road ages the boys a lot. We don't see too many wrestlers at 30 looking like they're 50 anymore (and that's a good thing!).

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I don't know what was really left but he certainly had more value to the WWF than WCW. My hope would be him going with Dibiase, IRS leaving, and Kama instead coming back as Papa Shango.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Wasn't Typhoon also around at this time doing job duty?

People are generally taking better care of themselves nowadays and also the road ages the boys a lot. We don't see too many wrestlers at 30 looking like they're 50 anymore (and that's a good thing!).
Typhoon litterally came in to replace Tenta's dates if thehistoryofwwe is accurate. I believe the WWF actually showed a Yoko attack at a house show to write Tenta off.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Typhoon REPLACED Earthquake after Quake bailed out of WWF again. They were never in the company again at the same time after the set of TV tapings after Royal Rumble '93. And according to HistoryofWWE, they were mostly working singles between Survivor Series '92 and Royal Rumble '93. So maybe we would have gotten the Natural Disasters feuding again if they had stuck around like their spot in the Rumble teased!

Valeyard

Reaction score
We really did kind of deserve face Disasters vs Two Dudes With Attitudes in a Coliseum Video exclusive tag title match.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Closest we got was Diesel Vs Typhoon at the Sunday Night Slam before SummerSlam '94.

I GET why Earthquake went with WCW in '94. It was move I would have made if I was lucky enough to be John Tenta but I think New Generation Quake could have been a lot of fun. Earthquake Vs HBK, Earthquake Vs Luger, Earthquake Vs Diesel. Here for all of it tbh!

Valeyard

Reaction score
Blake Beverly lasted a while. I like Mike Enos and all but that expiration date. That brief semi-face run of the Beverlys against Money Inc was a nice change though

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really think it's more of a character thing than age. He was only 26 at that point. Have him cut off all his hair and change the name, he'd be a fine midcarder. But yeah, Beverly Brothers shtick was probably outdated even by the time they arrived in 1991. Why they couldn't have just been a variation on the Destruction Crew, Idk

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Beverlys were kept on because they were one of the few teams who could take the Steiner's offense. They wrestled under masks v Steiners in enhancement matches multiple times.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
(New Generation thread crosspost)

More I think about it, rarely has there been a more glaring example of "wrong team at the wrong time" than The Steiners going to WWF at the dawn of the New Generation Era. I mean, talk about miscasting. And yet, they were such a good tag team that they still managed to have a passable run that quite a few fans enjoyed. I think that run kind of broke their spirit and they were never the world beaters they were in the early '90s ever again.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I really think it's more of a character thing than age. He was only 26 at that point. Have him cut off all his hair and change the name, he'd be a fine midcarder. But yeah, Beverly Brothers shtick was probably outdated even by the time they arrived in 1991. Why they couldn't have just been a variation on the Destruction Crew, Idk

Yeah, character. It just was done. The Beverlys would've fit pretty well into WCW's deep tag division around then though. He deserved a little better than Guy Hall Interrupts and those couple months of Rough N Ready.

Re: Steiners I don't think they had anyone good to work with consistently. Can't be the Headshrinkers all the time, and when Dibiase went back to Japan that was the end of Money Inc. Heavenly Bodies weren't around often enough or taken seriously. Total waste of time for them and they got fucked out of good Japan money so why care too much? Shoulda turned em heel and let them kill some Gunns and Men On A Mission.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Also as I said I'm 100% sure Alex Porteau was a rib on the Steiners. Pug instead of a Dogface Gremlin, coming out to their music, jobber.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Now we know who Michael PS Hayes stole his 1999 look from.
I've said this before, but getting a 1983 wrestling magazine at a rummage sale in 1990/91ish and seeing "Iron" Mike Sharpe as one of Backlund's top contenders melted by 9 year old brain.

He had size and pedigree to earn a push...somewhere, but likely made more money overall spending a decade staring at the lights several times a week.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He got good pushes elsewhere.

As much as I love Luger's I just can't rank him above Sharpe on the "in ring shout" scale.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He got good pushes elsewhere.

As much as I love Luger's I just can't rank him above Sharpe on the "in ring shout" scale.
Yeah I think he actually left the WWF in 84/85ish to go to Mid-South and came back not to long after.

He was a 10 year vet by the time he hit the WWF in 83. I guess he just stands out as he actually stuck it out unlike most of the territory mid-tier stars who got WWF jabroni duty (Scott McGhee, Butcher Vachon, etc)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Iron Mike Sharpe story that stands out is him being such a germaphobe that they locked him in the Boston Garden cause his post match shower was so long that they had to close up the arena.

Story is so weird that I kind of believe it's true. At least, I like to imagine him doing the AUUUGH yell when he gets out of the shower and realizes he's been left alone in the arena again.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I think Sharpe was pushed a bit pre-Freebirds WCCW. I'm surprised he did not wrestle more in Japan where the Sharpe name would carry some weight.

Recently Curtis Axel struck me as this generation's Sharpe. A second generation with size and some skill but not enough charisma to rise above JTTS status, who hung around the margins.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Huh. I thought Tama just vanished after the Islanders ended. Also it's taken years and years but I finally realize why Makin' A Difference Fatu did absolutely nothing: he was the shitty half of a tag team that never existed. I now realize Tama and Fatu as Samoans Makin' A Difference in the tag division would've probably gotten over.