Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Coronavirus

Staff member
Reaction score
q5i0qrwu3ld71.png

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Major overreaction. Unvaccinated people are never gonna get the picture. How long are we supposed to work our lives around them?
I also hate giving an opinion on children when I don't have any of my own but covid hospitalization rates for kids was roughly equal to what the normal flu rates are/were ("just the flu" durp) so I don't like using that as an excuse, either. Besides, people with concern for their children are taking preventative measures without the government being forced to tell them to, anyway.

I did see a brief post about there being more vaccinations yesterday than there have been in quite some time but I'm not sure if enough have been swayed to make re-instituting restrictions worthwhile.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How long are we supposed to work our lives around them?
I think until someone in the government has the cojones to step up and make vaccinations mandatory for certain segments of population. Which sounds like will be the fall in blue states and probably never in red states. Or maybe if they get really really clobbered in the fall/winter.

Look we shouldn't have gotten to the point where it went this for. It would've been nice if we weren't forcing people too but the GD right wing zealots pushed it to the point where I think it has to happen. At least for people who work with the public. That article I posted about 40% of nursing home workers being unvaxxed is insane. I don't know where you draw the line but we can't be playing with this BS when we know we can end it.

What a fucked, dumb country we live in rn.

I did see a brief post about there being more vaccinations yesterday than there have been in quite some time but I'm not sure if enough have been swayed to make re-instituting restrictions worthwhile.
Don't like giving the devils their due but I think the red state governors doing the Sunday morning show rounds to promote the vaccines (plus Fox News hosts half assedly promoting it) had some effect. It would be nice a certain former President that likes to take credit for the vaccine would promote it more too.

Last edited:

Staff member
Reaction score
The people who would be helped by this are also just not gonna do it. Nothing anyone says will make them do it. So how long do we accept that and continue to let our life revolve around them?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's just a matter of making more jobs and events require vaccinations. If people want to stay at home, wallowing in their illness and filth then so be it. I'm gonna include it in every post ITT for time being but it's insane that almost half of nursing home workers are unvaxxed. That level of cognitive dissonance is insane to me.

Reactions: Laz

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NYC is requiring them for cops and firefighters (and I think teachers?) by September. I don't think it is totally unreasonable to require them for jobs that involve constantly working face to face with the general public. Tricky part is where do we define working public. Does having a large number of co-workers at a factory or warehouse constitute as working with the public? Idk.

I'm hoping at some point in the next six months, anyone beyond the most hardcore galaxy brained people will be like "You know what? Frig this. I'm (literally) sick of this." and get vaxxed.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The CDC can "recommend" all they want but there's no going back after they screwed the pooch with their initial "masks off is cool, y'all!" announcement. All the blame can't be placed on them, of course; they can make suggestions/guidelines/recommendations, but they can't enforce shit themselves. Still, they *had* to figure people would take what they would say as a "we beat it" and live life accordingly.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And what also annoys me is early pro-vaxers taking this "nah, fuck 'em" attitude...even if breakthrough cases among the vaccinated remain minimal, that hospital ERs are overflowing with positive cases among the unvaccinated still has a negative effect on the vaccinated! You or someone you love could need urgent though not life-threatening care but you can't check into a hospital without waiting who knows how many fucking hours to actually get seen thanks to all the covid-positives!

I get being mad at the people who've refused to get vaccinated all this time. I'm pissed at them, too! But you can't pretend this will never affect you just because you made the right decision at the right time.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And what also annoys me is early pro-vaxers taking this "nah, fuck 'em" attitude...even if breakthrough cases among the vaccinated remain minimal, that hospital ERs are overflowing with positive cases among the unvaccinated still has a negative effect on the vaccinated! You or someone you love could need urgent though not life-threatening care but you can't check into a hospital without waiting who knows how many fucking hours to actually get seen thanks to all the covid-positives!

I get being mad at the people who've refused to get vaccinated all this time. I'm pissed at them, too! But you can't pretend this will never affect you just because you made the right decision at the right time.
This shit was happening pre-covid but I get you

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The ER has never been a fast-food drive-thru but yes, it's even worse now thanks to the unvaccinated.

Reaction score
This is why I’ll always be wearing a mask around groups of people. Too many dumb fucks in this country. Trust no one outside your circle.

There isn’t a thing that’s going to convince these people. They’re too dug in. They don’t want to look stupid and admit they’re wrong. It’s too humiliating. So we gotta live like this and hopefully slowly but surely, people get vaccinated on the down low or some shit.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm hoping at some point in the next six months, anyone beyond the most hardcore galaxy brained people will be like "You know what? Frig this. I'm (literally) sick of this." and get vaxxed.

you need to face up to the fact we are already at or very very close to that point.

Inc's point about things like emergency room access are true and valid points but I think a lot of the "fuck them" is also just an exhausted venting. Most people don't actually want them to die and would prefer they get vaccinated.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Medic friend, without indicating where or who, encountered a relative of a patient who said, "I don't believe in that shit" during a "trouble breathing" call. While medic friend had his PPE on, he still had to ask the scripted questions while administering the O2, "hey has your relative been exposed to COVID?" The redneck said that and basically "stop asking questions and get moving!" Like idiot they need to know the person's exposure prior to bringing him to the hospital. But here we are, a year and some change in, people still denying it even exists.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The gov had a presser today. Basically encourage people to mask up regardless of vaccination status. He said "business and schools know what to do," implying that he is leaving it up to individual places and districts to determine whether they want to require masks or not. He also said unvaccinated state government employees (at least those in the executive branch) have until September 1 to get vaccinated or they will be required to wear masks and will be tested weekly. Basically: nothing changes for me.

Here are some stats:

0.00367% of people who have been vaccinated have been hospitalized or died or one out of every 27,223 fully vaccinated individuals

Only an estimated 0.1% to 1.9% of covid positive children required hospitalization. Less than 0.03% of all child covid cases resulted in death. Combined, that is 3 out of every 10,000 cases.

Studies have shown that these percentages are roughly on par with a normal flu season for children. Some studies have even suggested that the flu is more dangerous for children than covid.

Basically, covid has seriously affected people's understanding of risk assessment.