Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Rob Zombie to Write/Direct a Munsters movie

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score

I heavily doubt this will be a good movie. That being said...I'm glad he's doing something different. It was obvious with "31" and "Three From Hell" that he was tired of doing evil redneck movies, so fuck it, why not a change of pace.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
You know, Sherri Moon has gotten decent enough in front of a camera where I'd buy her as a solid Lily Munster, and I can only imagine we'll get Bill Moseley and Richard Brake in some capacity.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You know? I'm cautiously optimistic for Rob Zombie making a family friendly comedy just because it's so out of his wheelhouse that it seems like he'll be really motivated to make his best movie in 15 years.

Laz

Reaction score
You know, it'll be interesting to see Rob Zombie's take on sitcom humor. Makes me think a toilet will flush and then an out of tune organ will play.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The most I ever liked Sherri Moon Zombie is when she's more reserved and less over the top and campy (The Lords Of Salem, parts of Halloween), so she might grate on me as Lily. I'm hoping he finds some completely random 70's/80's/90's genre guy to play Herman rather than his usual stable, but I doubt it.

I've seen every Rob Zombie film and have only liked maybe 2 and 1/4 of them (Lords Of Salem, Devil's Rejects, First 20-25 minutes of House Of 1000 Corpses), but this is getting him out of his comfort zone and I've wanted that for a long time. For all of his flaws as a writer, he does have an intriguing visual flair that keeps bringing me back and I just find him really likable when he's talking about horror for the most part. So, I want him to do better, but he keeps letting me down lately.

I thought the first 2 acts of Lords Of Salem with him trying to go into Fulci/Argento/Polanski territory rather than the Hellbillies was great and I wanted him to continue in that direction. But, then The Lords of Salem bombed huge and was a big headache for him, so I can see why he went back into familiar territory. Him doing a straight up comedy will probably be bad to me since I find the humor in his movies to be the worst parts, but it's way more interesting than 31 and 3 From Hell.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Zombie, as much as I love him as a musician, never made a film i thought was above average but as others said, the fact that he's going a bit out of his wheelhouse assures me that I'll give this a chance.

Frank Langella as Herman plz.

Laz

Reaction score
Herman flipping his hair back and giving Eddie a Jacknife would be too sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eet

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ugh, Sheri Moon. I guess it was inevitable, though. I did like her in Devil's Rejects but I'm not sure how well she fits here.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Me: Jeff Daniels as Herman Munster? Huh. That's interesting but probably good casting. I'm surprised he would do a Rob Zombie movie!
"No. Jeff Daniel Philips!"
WHO!?
Rob Zombie only casts well known actors on rare occasions (such as Nicolas Cage" in the best of the faux trailers in "Grindhouse"), as he's more likely to cast genre vets, character actors and his wife.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Anyone give this a shot yet? I want to check it out but Zombie being an immensely underwhelming filmmaker tells me I can put it off.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I'm almost scared to but I'll probably grin and bear it and give it a look. The trailers turned me off immensily though and I've read nothing but terrible reviews so far.

I mentioned it in another thread, but it's telling as fuck they released this on VOD, Bluray, AND Netflix same day.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Music wise, I'm a big White Zombie/early Rob Zombie fan but I can admit with zero irony that the fake Werewolf Women of the SS trailer from Grindhouse was the best thing he's ever produced as a filmmaker.

In fact, there should be another Grindhouse. Do Zombie/Rodriguez but put the former's movie first.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I'm shocked there never was a Grindhouse followup as I thought the concept was great. IIRC it kinda bombed in the theaters I think.

A triple bill of Eli Roth's Thanksgiving, Zombies Werewolf Woman, and Edgar Wright's Don't would be a great bill. There has been talks in the years for at least a Grindhouse 2 double bill of Thanksgiving and Don't, actually. Tarantino had some ideas too for a followup on his end with some sort of kung-fu gimmick too.

I think the Dimension blowup with the legal troubles with Weinstein pretty much put things to rest at the time, but hope someone revisits the concept again.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah, it didn't fare well in theaters. I get it. People just aren't going to want to sit for 4 hours even though it was an enjoyable experience for me. IIRC, They split both flicks up toward the end of their theatrical run, at least in my area.

I haven't seen Planet Terror in years but I appreciate Death Proof a lot more now than I did in 2007. It's definitely on the lower-tier of Tarantino flicks for me (Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, and Basterds are top three and I'd put Death Proof, Jackie Brown, and Django on the bottom) but it's a damn good thriller with a good antagonist and earned action.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Yeah I dug Death Proof for the most part, the last moment of that film had me literally laughing out loud at the grindhouse approach towards it.

I can't recall the ending of Planet Terror, but could RR conceivably do a sequel to it? Granted Rose McGowan is in a whole different planet herself now so to speak, but still....just saying

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I enjoyed Grindhouse when it came out, but liked Planet Terror when it first came out. The fake trailers were great, too. The movie ended up bombing in a big way because audiences for the most part didn't get the idea. I think a series of them, with different directors and fake trailers would have been awesome. Now, I appreciate Death Proof more. It seems like Rodriguez was making a "Grindhouse" style movie, while QT made a movie that would be played during the height of the grindhouse days, and made the movie feel more authentic.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Grindhouse, conceptually, was too good for this modern world. But I would love them to try again.

Munsters still looks awful so I'm waiting. I'm the one person who has faith in Zombie as a filmmaker (any other aspect, no). But I didn't realize Herman was the Geico caveman until like yesterday and now I want to see it even less, which is an achievment.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Wife and I watched the first fifteen minutes. We weren't feeling it at all. I don't want to say flat out that it's bad because I didn't see the whole thing. But it wasn't promising.