Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

ROH in 2021 Thread: Now Moderately Less Problematic!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, it does seem like a very puzzling signing on her end but I guess hopefully, it's a sign that ROH is finally taking women's wrestling seriously. And ROH lets almost all of their talent besides the half dozen or so tentpoles (Lethal, Briscoes, etc) work indies if they want to so she can still get extra seasoning there.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I hadn't thought of possibility of Bray in ROH but if Bray can get same deal that Marty Scurll got two years ago (huge contract and he gets to run creative), why not?

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Sinclair is probably the only ownership group with more money than the Tony/Shahid. It's just a question of whether they see AEW and think there is room for them to grow in a similar fashion.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Wow, so they are still doing this Honor for All show? I was wondering if this was going to be pulled but apparently not.

Word is that ROH is taping this coming weekend, which would include this show.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Huh. A lot has changed since I last posted ITT. Eep

Anyway. My speculation that ROH is trying to latch onto GCW's cult success was correct. The Briscoes are defending the GCW Tag Team Titles against the Second Gear Crew on an Honor Club special next weekend.

There's something so right about EFFY and AJ working an ROH show. And man, I want EFFY to get the pin in one of his really extra gay ways on both Briscoe brothers.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
I was told by someone who apparently worked it that the Honor for All show was already taped FWIW

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NJPW: Man, AEW knocked our PPV out of the limelight... can it get any worse?
ROH: (meekly, from bottom of a hole) hello...hello. Is anyone still there?

It's cards that don't warrant a thread!

It's possibly ROH's penultimate event (hopefully not) and the last event of the empty arena era (hopefully...no new crazy variants, please)

ROH Honor for All
November 14th, 2021
From Chesapeake Employers Insurance Arena in Baltimore, Maryland

No Disqualification match (non title)

Bandido Vs Demonic Flamita

ROH World Tag Team Titles match
La Facion Igobernables (Dragon Lee and Kenny King) (c) Vs The OGK

GCW World Tag Team Titles match
The Briscoe Brothers (c) Vs The Second Gear Crew (Effy & AJ Gray)

Match to determine #1 Contender for the ROH World Title
Brody King Vs Jonathan Gresham

Pure Rules match
"Hot Sauce" Tracy Williams Vs Taylor Rust

Four Corner Survival match
Holidead Vs Quinn McKay Vs Trish Adora Vs Vita VonStarr

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
NJPW: Man, AEW knocked our PPV out of the limelight... can it get any worse?
ROH: (meekly, from bottom of a hole) hello...hello. Is anyone still there?

It's cards that don't warrant a thread!

It's possibly ROH's penultimate event (hopefully not) and the last event of the empty arena era (hopefully...no new crazy variants, please)

ROH Honor for All
November 14th, 2021
From Chesapeake Employers Insurance Arena in Baltimore, Maryland

No Disqualification match (non title)

Bandido Vs Demonic Flamita

ROH World Tag Team Titles match
La Facion Igobernables (Dragon Lee and Kenny King) (c) Vs The OGK

GCW World Tag Team Titles match
The Briscoe Brothers (c) Vs The Second Gear Crew (Effy & AJ Gray)

Match to determine #1 Contender for the ROH World Title
Brody King Vs Jonathan Gresham

Pure Rules match
"Hot Sauce" Tracy Williams Vs Taylor Rust

Four Corner Survival match
Holidead Vs Quinn McKay Vs Trish Adora Vs Vita VonStarr

The show ended up being a fun watch. Ian and Caprice are great on commentary. The stand out matches that are worth watching are Brody King vs Gresham (holy fuck did this match rule). The GCW tag title match was a lot of fun, and the main event was really good. ROH Tag Title match is worth watching if you have time. Pure Rules match was very solid. I love Trish and Holidead, so if you do, too, watch the women's match, otherwise it was ok.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rick Knox is creepy looking even by weird middle aged bald guy standards.

I'm the last person to fatshame (or hairshame *rubs* forehead) but if I were AEW, I'd make Todd Sinclair lose some weight before I brought him on. He's looked like he's about to keel over from a heart attack the last few years.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
NOT BOBBY CRUISE!

He was actually ring announcer for my local indie in '01/'02, which has to be my most mundane "Before they were stars..." sighting.
Bobby Cruise did the announcing for XWA (when it was basically the ROH farm league), and he was a great heel manager during a damn fine "ROH invasion" angle.

If there's any footage available of the JT Dunn/Warbeard Hanson XWA title match, you can find me cheering on all the XWA guys as they try to make the save (...except Antonio Atama), and Cruise's heel work was a big part of getting me into it all.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd love it if Bobby Cruise replaced Justin Roberts as the ring announcer for AEW tbh. Justin Roberts is not only a creep but he just comes across as too corny and insincere...which is weird since he is a lifelong hardcore fan. Sadly I doubt that will happen since it seems like he's buddies with a bunch of the big stars/brass.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Cruise turning off the announcer voice and talking in his native Boston accent is hilarious, FWIW

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He was trying to not frontload it with '00s stuff, which I get but honestly, Idk if anything post 2012 deserves to be included on any GOAT ROH matches list.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The Aries/Black series is what killed ROH for me. Summed up so many problems.

That Dragon Gate six-man from Supercard Of Honor should be on that list though. I don't care where.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm surprised DRAGONGATE six man didn't make it considering it kind of made North Americans realize "Oh yeah. Six man tags can be legitimately awesome and not just TV/house show filler." for the first time since the late '80s.

I was going to say maybe they didn't want to make it too puro heavy since Kobashi/Joe and Danielson/Morishima were already on the list but that still would only account a quarter of the list. Plus the writer of the article wrote/hosts Way of the Blade: 100 of the Greatest Bloody Matches in Wrestling History, which has covered way more obscure puro matches. I'm just going to unfoundedly going to accuse Bill Simmons of forcing his xenophobia on him!