Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2004-2009 Music (RIP Heath Ledger)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't imagine a bluegrass version of "Baba O'Reilly" not kicking an incredible amount of ass.

Really the only Who song I don't want to hear done in bluegrass form is "Squeeze Box", which I don't want to hear in any form.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Daltrey sounds great on "Squeeze Box" though. That's all it has. That and it being hilariously shoehorned in on the album that was basically Townshend's various suicide notes set to music makes it totally worth something in certain contexts.

I could see a bluegrass "Eminence Front" being kinda lit under the right circumstances.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Curious what your line is. Was it just more or less the dying off of the non-Jack White bands and the rise of the realness of Kings Of Leon?

"All My Friends" by LCD Soundsystem is why I can't hate 2006. The kind of song that happens once a generation. Thanks TSM.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
KoL didn't break through on mainstream rock radio until 2008 IIRC. Things got marginally better in the late 2000s and early 2010s (and how bad did things have to get that Mumford & Sons and the banjo playing hipsters were an IMPROVEMENT over what was happening) but I don't think mainstream rock has really ever truly recovered.

2006 mainstream rock music, in my mind, is just Nickelback knockoffs, the lingering fart fumes of nu-metal and Grey's Anatomy soundtrack BS. It's bad when the best stuff is late era RHCP and mainstream emo.

What's Sean Ross Sapp's username here?

For unintentional comedy purposes, I really had hoped that ho-wop was actually going to become an ongoing thing but the two songs did produce a lot of memories for teenage Kamala.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I need to revisit 2006. That was a big year for me musically. TV On The Radio, Decemberists, Gnarls Barkley, that pointless Who album. TONS of big deep dives I just don't do anymore elsewhere. I had a lot of fun.

Valeyard

Reaction score

2006 had The Information and frankly I consider Beck to be one of the most consistent performers walking.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Agreed 100%. I don't think Beck is brought up enough as a generational great. I'll put up his discography against almost anybody.

Idk if he ws getting played on rock radio a bunch by the mid '00s. I think he might've been moved over to adult alternative.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I can only vouch for hearing Guero played all over the place so after that I can't say. My listening to his stuff doesn't mean regular radio played it.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Beck has the scientology stink on him. He's not as charismatic as Tom Cruise so it's harder to ignore. I agree though, super talented and I've liked most of what I've heard.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Beck isn’t a Scientologist , at least not anymore though. He probably was one for a long time but he was always vague about it and not like preaching it like Tom Cruise or Travolta.

Leah Remini called him a pussy over him being so wishy washy with his thoughts on Scientology!

Valeyard

Reaction score
I never got the impression that it was something he took seriously, at least compared to others. He does come off like someone who was brought up around a religion he didn't care about but still had an effect on him, though. Not unlike the people who come from Christian homes that are not Christians but still definitely got shaped by Christianity, for example.

Alien or god or whatever he believes/d, "Sexx Laws" is still fire so praise be.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Looking at 2006, and there was some great metal that came out, including (heads up: long list)

-Ruins of Beverast-Rain Upon the Impure
-Insomnium-Above the Weeping World
-Katatonia-The Great Cold Distance
-Agalloch-Ashes Against the Grain
-Mastodon-Blood Mountain
-Drudkh-Blood in our Wells
-Melvins-(A) Senile Animal
-Drawn and Quarted-Hail Infernal Darkness
-Warning-Watching From a Distance
-Pagan Altar-Magical and Mystical
-Cult of Luna-Somewhere Along the Highway
-Celtic Frost-Monotheist
-Summoning-Oath Bound
-Cannibal Corpse-Kill
-Negura Bunget-Om
-Enslaved-Ruun
-Wolves in the Throne Room-Diadem of 12 Stars
-Solitude Aeturnus-Alone
-Deftones-Saturday Night Wrist
-Kayo Dot-Dowsing Aneome With Copper Tongue
-Gaza-I Don't Care Where I Go When I Die
-Ahab-Call of the Wretched Sea
-Isis-In the Absence of Truth
-Melechesh-Emissaries
-Last Days of Humanity-Putrefaction in Progress
-Amorphis-Eclipse
-Sunn0))) and Boris-Altar
-Converge-No Heroes
-Negative Plane-Et in saecula saeculorum
-Om-Conference of Birds
-Gorod-Leading Vision
-Death Breath-Stinking Up the Night

This year in particular is important to me because

1.) this was the year I really started to get into metal, and I haven't been the same since

2.) Several of these albums are what I consider either the band's best (Ruins, Insomnium, Melvins, Agalloch, Warning, Negura Bunget and a several more) among their best (Wolves, Celtic Frost, Drudkh, Cult of Luna, Cannibal Corpse and Pagan Altar) or just underrated (Deftones, Isis, Converge and Death Breath) Hell, I'm probably forgetting something so anyone else knows help me out. All I know is that it's hard for me to pick a favorite

Long post short: 2006 is a one of the most important years for me from a music perspective.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
Tings Tings came on at work and I marked a little because "Shut Up And Let Me Go" is what's up.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yearly reminder that there was a short lived super group in the late '00s with Taylor Hanson, James Iha from Smashing Pumpkins, Adam Schlesinger from Fountain of Wayne, and Bun E Carlos from Cheap Trick. I saw them on their one tour at the Paradise Rock Club and James Iha had the least funny stage banter I've ever seen. I guess hanging around with Billy Corgan for years has that effect.

If Matthew Sweet wasn't saying "Taylor Hanson? What am I? Chopped liver?" in 2009 then he should've been.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Looking at 2008 and it has two albums in particular that hold a special place in my heart in "Deathconsciousness" by Have a Nice Life and "Third" by Portishead. Also the year of my favorite Flying Lotus* album ("Los Angeles"), my favorite Earth Album ("The Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull"), Q-Tips "The Renaissance", TV on the Radio's "Dear Science", Causa Sui's "Summer Sessions Vol 1" (some great, laid back stoner rock), Steve Wilson's "Insurgentes" and pre Anti-Semitism Kanye West's "808s and Heartbreak". Some great metal as well, but I'll get to that later

*unless his mixtape as Captain Murphy counts

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the Alternative hits Billboard list and it seems 2006-2008 is when I really started moving out of mainstream rock... Dani California, Miss Murder, Animal I Have Become, Snow (Hey Oh), Icky Thump (which is a fucking fantastic song), Paralyzer, Pork and Beans, and You're Gonna Go Far, Kid were all titles I recognized from that time frame.

So I missed that whole Kings of Leon/Cage the Elephant/Muse stretch with a couple songs (FTP's Pumped Up Kicks and Gotye's hit) leaving an impression on me.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Breakups don’t really have the same punch when there is only one original member and you know that they will probably just “reunite” when their solo career flops.

Looking at you, Billy Corgan…

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Breakups don’t really have the same punch when there is only one original member and you know that they will probably just “reunite” when their solo career flops.

Looking at you, Billy Corgan…
I heard "High Hopes" at the grocery story about a year ago and felt annoyed the rest of the day. That is all I have to add to this conversation

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
‘00s indie rock nostalgia is really back now.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Not until we get some blueberry bloodshed at a Firey Furnaces show.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Since the thread updated, notable metal albums from 2007 (heads up-big, possibly helpless list here that is in no order, and a possibly long post)

• Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autre monde
  • Deathspell Omega - Fas – Ite, maledicti, in ignem aeternum
  • Insect Warfare - World Extermination
  • Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty
  • Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters
  • Between the Buried and Me - Colors
  • The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls With Sand
  • Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today
  • Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works
  • The Ocean - Precambrian
  • Furia - Martwa polska jesień
  • Primordial - To the Nameless Dead
  • Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscent
  • Dark Tranquility - Fiction
  • Ackercocke - Antichrist
  • Portal - Outre
  • Nadja - Touched
  • Drudkh - Estrangement
  • Evoken - A Gentle Caress of the Void
  • Reverend Bizarre - III: So Long Suckers
  • Walknut - Graveforests and Their Shadows
  • Virgin Black - Requiem: Mezzo Forte
  • Lunar Aurora - Andacht
  • Rotting Christ - Theogonia
  • Marduk - Rom 5:12
  • Earthless - Rhythms From a Cosmic Sky
  • Amorphis - Silent Waters
  • Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb
  • Candlemass - King of the Grey Islands
  • Minsk - The Ritual Fires of Abandonment
  • Witchcraft - The Alchemist
  • Black Dahlia Murder - Nocturnal
  • Darkest Hour - Deliver Us
  • In Vain - The Latter Rain
  • Paradise Lost - In Requiem
  • Abigor - Fractal Possession
  • Farsot - IIII
  • Blotted Science- The Machinations of Dementia
As I said, long list. Thoughts

-Kind of a notable year for shoegaze inspired metal. That Alcest album may be contentious, but it's the first true "Blackgaze" LP and is tied with their second as that genre's crowning achievement IMO. That Angelic Process album is, along the first Jesu LP, one of the heaviest and best examples, and something of an emotionally crushing experience

-That Insect Warfare album is one of the best "one and done" full lengths of all time IMO.

-The Dark Tranquility album is probably my favorite of theirs.

-On one hand, 2007 is when more mainstream outlets started to pay attention to Black Metal. On the other hand, the two bands and their albums that got the most attention-Deathspell and Wolves-deserved the praise

-That Ackercocke album deserves more attention. Hell, the band themselves do

-"Precambrian" is still The Ocean's best album, and one of my favorite examples of post metal.