Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2021-22 What Are Those Clowns in Washington (House and Senate) Up To Now? thread

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

He was all over tv as well after congress failed to pass the act. His work on this stuff has been fantastic for years and years. @909 has talked about it in chat but he should think about running for office of some kind.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
The problem becomes how one defines, in a legal sense, what an "assault weapon" is. There's easier ways to define a large capacity magazine, because you can set a limit on the amount of rounds that can be fit into it, but there are enough different kinds of inner mechanisms that can be used in a semi-automatic firearm that outlining the restrictions can become tiresome and, moreover, outdated as technological improvements happen.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad stuff like that passes the House but it doesn't mean much if it stalls/gets shot down in the Senate.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. I doubt we'll see that many Republicans flip in the Senate (maybe Pat Toomey since he's in "Screw it. I'm already leaving anyway." mode) and you have to worry about Inc's girlfriend and that ding dong Joe Manchin voting against it.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Yeah. I doubt we'll see that many Republicans flip in the Senate (maybe Pat Toomey since he's in "Screw it. I'm already leaving anyway." mode) and you have to worry about Inc's girlfriend and that ding dong Joe Manchin voting against it.
Reading through it briefly, and it looks like the definition of "assault weapon" they're using is basically "any firearm that is not pump/lever/bolt action or a revolver." Some of the qualifications for rifles can be circumvented with a quick design change (namely that a semi-auto rifle could utilize a slanted grip that is built into the stock, which would neither qualify as a pistol grip nor a foldable/detachable stock), but the handgun parts worry me.

Not because I'm a gun nut by any means, but because I'm pro-2A for self defense purposes. Limiting one's self defense options seems counter intuitive to me, especially when previous legislation of this sort was ruled unconstitutional. Which means people found in violation of the laws that would follow this bill passing in the Senate would find themselves imprisoned over laws that have been overturned in the past and would likely be overturned again. Arguing that a weapon with a rifled barrel should be banned is, to me, a blatant misunderstanding of firearm technology over the past century.

Also, allowing law enforcement to continue using these kinds of weapons while disallowing the general populace to own them (unless previously manufactured and grandfathered in) is a push further into the over-militarization of police, which isn't a good move after the last few years.

Something needs to be done, and something along these lines is a good step, but I'm not sure I like the broad definitions contained therein.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As Inc puffs a stogey in Jacksonville's Financial District

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I have no clue what he's thinking. Republicans should be focusing on inflation, housing/rent prices and the economy. Making the upcoming election about abortion is the absolute worst thing they could do.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I believe the thinking is to stake out 15 weeks as a "reasonable" limit in order to claw back votes from moderate voters & to force Dems to vote against said "reasonable" limit & look out of touch with the general populace. It's called the "Protecting Pain-Capable Unborn Children from Late-Term Abortions Act", so yeah.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dishonest politician? Why, I never!
I think that's part of why everyone thinks it's such a gaffe. If he said 20 weeks, Idk if it's a slam dunk but it has a better argument IMO.

Wall Street just had its worst day since June 2020 while Biden was bragging about how the economy was back is on track and it should be an easy slam dunk for the Rs but South Carolina's gentleman bachelor just helped snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I'm not sure why Democrats strategy of "playing it safe" is "Don't do anything that will fire up the base."
The base will then be forced to get out and vote (in theory) to ensure the votes are there to make such a move.

The GOP had the opposite problem as it was stated right away when the Roe/Wade overturn was looming that the GOP was losing a major source of fundraising by not being able to appeal to the religious nuts.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't think Republicans have such a problem. They continue to raise funds and have elected politicians work towards actually taking these freedoms away from actual people.

also too the BASE

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I don't think Republicans have such a problem. They continue to raise funds and have elected politicians work towards actually taking these freedoms away from actual people.

also too the BASE

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, Republican fundraising has crashed since Roe Vs Wade got overturned. I'm sure Snuffy will accurately point out that they have way more DARK MONEY than the Democrats though.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Personally, I hope the Republicans lose somehow and maybe women and other people can regain some of the rights and freedoms that have been taken from them.