Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2021 MOTYC/Recommend A Match Thread

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
4/10- JD Drake Vs MV Young- Effy's Big Gay Brunch
4/10- AJ Gray Vs Billy Dixon Dog Pup Collar Match- Effy's Big Gay Brunch

There are so many matches I want to add from this weekend, but I'm only going to do a few. I'm going to do one bigger post for it, but I want to shout out the AJ vs Billy Dixon match. That match was pretty much perfect. It was built up over multiple indie shows over the past few weeks, and even on FTC the night before. It was intense, it was well built, and had a great story. I didn't expect it to be so bloody, though. Deathmatch AJ is my favorite version of AJ.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
4/8- Gary Jay Vs Billie Starkz- IWTV Family Reunion Part 2
Probably the best match ever involving a 16 year old.

4/8- Daniel Garcia Vs Kevin Ku- IWTV Family Reunion Part 2

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One of best finishes I've seen in a while as well. It takes brass balls to all but guarantee a MOTY (at least on the independent level) but I think it was a rare case where they knew they could deliver (and they did!) I can't wait to see Round III for the IWTV Title (as well as Garcia Vs JD Drake).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
4/20- Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, and YOSHI HASHI Vs KENTA, Taiji Ishiimori, and Yujiro Takahashi- Road to Wrestling Dontaku

I really hope that the NEVER Openweight Six Man belts get a nice showcase at a dome show one of these days. CHAOS boys always kill it in these B show main events. And most importantly, YOSHI HASHI got his dumb bow staff back! :)

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Catching up on DG finally so adding some to the list:

1/12 BxBHulk/KAI Vs JasonLee/Minoura,
3/7 Mochizuki/Yoshida Vs BxBHulk/KAI
3/7 Shun Skywalker Vs Kaito Ishida

I really dig the Hulk/KAI tag team and it's nice to see Hulk picking up again after years of seeming like a shell of his former self. Shun's run as DG champ has delivered in-ring whatever problems he might be having on the mic. His match at the end of march with KAZMA was also really good and I almost added it here too since I went in with low expectations and really liked it.

All DG needs to do now is undo the damage it did to KZY and make him top dawg and/or lure Tozawa home and I'm their number one fan.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
5/1 - Edith Surreal vs Everett Connors (JCW - Opening Day)
5/1 - Ninja Mack vs Dante Leon (JCW - Opening Day)
5/1 - Lee Moriarty vs Joey Janella (GCW - Ashes to Ashes)
5/1 - G-Raver vs Jimmy Lloyd - Glass Ceiling Match (GCW - Ashes to Ashes)

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
1/10 Daisuke Harada Vs Hajime Ohara,

I'm into early March in NOAH and this is one of the only matches I really dug from the company. Harada in general is a guy I like and was a really good pick up from the ashes of Osaka Pro. He and the other guys they got from there like Kotoge (and Zeus and Bodyguard in AJPW) are greats of why Japanese companies should be consolidating and not always splintering.

Ohara also worked for several companies before signing with NOAH too! This is NOAH at it's best, finding young (or at least younger) underappreciated talent and giving them a chance. Something they really started to do after they lost Misawa and co.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now I'm onto catching up on AJPW! After this it's BJPW and I'll be up on everything I watch through mid-march/april and I can start the rotation over again.

1/2 Miyahara/YumaAoyagi Vs ShujiIshikawa/Suwama
1/3 Suwama Vs Yuma Aoyagi

These two matches play directly into each other. Ishikawa/Suwama are the big boss tag team of AJPW and have held the tag belts for a full year coming into the match. Suwama is also the Triple Crown Champion and he has a title match with Aoyagi the next day so Aoyagi is even more determined to come at him. All of which leads into the singles the next day. This is AJPW at its best.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
5/14 - The Unguided (Damian Drake/Matt Vandergrif) vs Jai Vidal/Eli Everfly - FSW Changing The Game. The Unguided are fantastic young tag team out of Vegas that is starting to gain momentum from working with GCW recently. They were actually formed due to Konnan working with FSW and bringing Damian and Matt down to work a AAA show. He needed a tag team and put them together and they’ve worked ever since. Jai Vidal is far and away the breakout star on the indies as he’s had many MOTY candidates in FSW.

5/15 - Ricky Marvin vs Jordan Oliver - GCW Draft Day

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Having just finished watching GCW Draft Day, I’m adding one more match from that show

5/15 - Lio Rush vs Starboy Charlie. This was fantastic. Starboy is only 18 years old, has already been wrestling for about 2-3 years, and went toe to toe, move for move with Lio. It was much more than just high spots, it told a great story.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
1/2 Yasufumi Nakanoue Vs Okabayashi

Catching up on BJW now. The non-death match stuff in BJW is so great. Okabayashi is a fucking beast. Nakanoue is going to have to pull out all the stops just to have a chance.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
6/5 - Alex Colon vs Atticus Cogar - GCW Tournament of Survival 666 Final. These 2 had what I considered my deathmatch of the year earlier this year, and this match was even better. Colon might be the best American DM wrestler right now, and Cogar is the best young DM wrestler in a sea of very talented young wrestlers.