Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2021 Summer Olympics? In Tokyo???

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Discussed this a bit in the the puro thread but probably deserves its own discussion not buried by nerds celebrating Shingo Takagi.

Olympics are set to happen in six weeks in Tokyo despite 80% of the Japanese public and a lot of politicians and health officials strongly advising against it. Now the very not corrupt and sketchy IOC is claiming that the Olympics will and can go ahead regardless of what the Japanese government wants.

So get your popcorn, Pepsis, and pizzas cause it looks like we're going to have an interesting showdown.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I was wondering about this. Also, are the next Olympics still slated for 2024 or is the schedule getting skewed with the delay of 2020? 2025?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I always thought it was super weird that previous to now, the Summer Olympics were always held in the same year as a US Presidential Election but then I realize I'm just being a self centered prick and the rest of the world shouldn't really be centered around American politics (even if it kind of is IRL)

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kind of weird to think we're only eight months away from the next Winter Olympics as well.
That's the way it used to be when I was a kid, except the other way around. Winter first and then Summer 6 months later.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Could @tekcop or @Slayer or one of the other boards Japonophiles (probably wrong term) summarize briefly (perhaps using hand puppets) a country so public health minded botched this so badly? Like a 3% vaccination rate six months into them being available is NOT GREAT!

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Could @tekcop or @Slayer or one of the other boards Japonophiles (probably wrong term) summarize briefly (perhaps using hand puppets) a country so public health minded botched this so badly? Like a 3% vaccination rate six months into them being available is NOT GREAT!
Read an article a month or so back. In short, extreme historical vaccine skepticism.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
the country is run by a bunch of old men who in some cases have literally never used a computer https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/15/jap...ecurity-admits-hes-never-used-a-computer.html

their technological infrastructure (ask @tekcop about fax machines lol) is really bad and there are several other factors to do with an aging and incredibly overworked population.

A much better reason for them taking so long to approve and get the vaccines going than skepticism is the paralysis of their bureaucracy.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. Other than maybe blaming the overall populous for voting for constantly voting in useless old dinosaurs, you can't blame them for the terrible vaccination rate and articles to that affect are written in bad faith.

There was a landmark court case as mentioned in the article alkeiper posted whether the courts ruled the government couldn't require the HPV vaccine due to concerns about its safety, but I'd say vaccine skepticism in the mainstream stops there and that can almost entirely be blamed on the stupidity of that ruling.

Its actually impossible to say whether or not people in Japan are hesitant to get the COVID vaccine because it's not available in any major way yet.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Yeah after reading that article and the WHO stats TekCop posted in the puro thread, plus a cursory review of some academic articles from the last few decades about immunization in Japan, I don't think Japan is skeptical of vaccines overall as they're really solid with all the well-established vaccines (e.g. DPT, MMR, polio), it's mainly with newer medications like the HPV vax and I'm not sure it even extends beyond that

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
2016 double Silver Medalist Madeline Groves, of Australia, pulled out of the Olympic trials due to misogynistic perverts in sports.

Well I guess it's not COVID related.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They're allowing up to 10,000 spectators for Olympic events despite public health officials and Japanese PM recommending that they take place behind closed doors.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Team USA lost to Nigeria in a men's basketball warm up. There were actually a number of the guys that'll actually be on Team USA this summer playing. Mike Brown (!) is the coach for Nigeria so might be only team he ever outcoaches Pops.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
USA is lucky that the rest of the field is ass too and they might still end up stumbling ass backwards into at least medalling but this definitely seems like worst team since '04 if not worst USA Basketball Team since they started letting pros in in '92.

I might give '04 the edge. A lot of their failings were due to Larry Brown doing a terrible job coaching them. I feel like Pops or Coach K could've won gold with that roster.