Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2021 Summer Olympics? In Tokyo???

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Had dinner at Mom and Pops Kamala's last night. Pops Kamala is one of the only American people left still into Olympic Boxing and I found it mildly amusing that with sooooo many channels airing Olympics stuff, there's STILL some sports where they're like "Nah. We'll just stick it in on a streaming service." I know Olympic Boxing in the US hasn't been relevant since the '80s but yeesh.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
That's frustrating because boxing really is an easy sport to watch and follow. Full days of time trials and scoring events and you don't know who won until the end? Pass. But boxing gives you a winner every 10-15 minutes.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. I don't get why boxing is one of the fourth tier sports of Olympic programming. Maybe it's because they assume kids are watching and they think it's too violent? Even then they're wearing headgear and larger gloves so it's a lot less violent and bloody than the pros. Besides I watched plenty of pro boxing as a kid with my dad and I turned out (relatively?) fine (?)

And boxing isn't as popular as it used to be arguably but at least it had a long period of relevancy! Vast majority of sports at the Olympics, I only see during the Olympics. That brings another reason maybe why they don't show it. "Who cares about the amateurs when you can see the pros every weekend?" Idk. It's fine really. My dad knows how to use streaming services!

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. I don't get why boxing is one of the fourth tier sports of Olympic programming. Maybe it's because they assume kids are watching and they think it's too violent? Even then they're wearing headgear and larger gloves so it's a lot less violent and bloody than the pros. Besides I watched plenty of pro boxing as a kid with my dad and I turned out (relatively?) fine (?)

And boxing isn't as popular as it used to be arguably but at least it had a long period of relevancy! Vast majority of sports at the Olympics, I only see during the Olympics. That brings another reason maybe why they don't show it. "Who cares about the amateurs when you can see the pros every weekend?" Idk. It's fine really. My dad knows how to use streaming services!
All this tells me is that you and Pops Kamala need to start a YouTube channel teaching his peers how to use paramount plus so they can binge watch Yellowstone.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The coverage here is fantastic but the decisions at times are a little baffling. As an example last night Canada had a boat in the women's pair rowing final (and they ended up winning bronze). Figured that's automatic to show on at least one of the 5 channels with coverage. Instead 4 of them showed the same Canada-Brazil rugby match and the other men's golf. Thankfully CBC streams everything but was a little weird not to show a potential medal instead of a prelim rugby game.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
... Thankfully CBC streams everything but was a little weird not to show a potential medal instead of a prelim rugby game.

Based on how I've heard the service described (I've never actually watched it, because I don't like football), Olympic coverage needs an equivalent to the RedZone channel, that just cycles between any medal game/match/event final, all day.

alkeiper

Reaction score

Staff member
Reaction score
Rest of the team is playing like shit so KD is running Spain off the court by himself.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Spain leaves the Olympics without medaling for the first time since 2004.

I still think Team USA might stumble their way to gold. Yeah, they aren't as good as they once were but unlike '04, it's not like their competition has gotten better either.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
If I remind you guys on the front end that I'm not attracted to ectomorphs, am I still going to be accused of being horny, if I say that I wish Sydney McLaughlin had reacted to breaking the world record while winning the gold medal in the 400m hurdles, the same way that Karsten Warholm did last night?

Staff member
Reaction score
If I remind you guys on the front end that I'm not attracted to ectomorphs, am I still going to be accused of being horny, if I say that I wish Sydney McLaughlin had reacted to breaking the world record while winning the gold medal in the 400m hurdles, the same way that Karsten Warholm did last night?

A lot of the girls in that final were very cute. Her especially. So it's cool

alkeiper

Reaction score
Yes

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
His parents named him Gable Dan Stevenson... He never even had a choice. He couldn't have wanted to grow up to be, like, a gourmet chef.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Sarah Hildebrandt's leg lace skills are no joke. She went from being down 0-2, to winning by technical superiority, some kinda fast!