Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2021-22 What Are Those Clowns in Washington (House and Senate) Up To Now? thread

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

this shit gets funnier and funnier

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wasn't the well regulated militia/2ns amendment originally intended to and used to suppress popular uprisings and such?

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Can't believe people are still breaking out the "have fun taking on the US military!" argument against the hardcore 2Aers when the last four years, plus a certain event from the beginning of this year, have shown the real issue is these people taking up arms in defense of a bad government (provided it's the "right" kind of bad, of course)

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

This is why I say Gohmert is the stupidest person in congress.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Republicans blocked that bill. We don't need to do any wacky brain gymnastics to carry their water & blame anyone else.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
She's neither a celebrity nor a god emperor so she might not do the internet posts herself. May have been posted by a staffer, may have been a scheduled post, etc, and then stuck in traffic, family situation, yadda yadda. Meanwhile, the Republican party killed the paycheck fairness act. But hey, if the Washington Times and other august outlets want us distracted by another blame-Democrat squirrel, what are we to do but oblige?

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just in case there's any confusion: it needs 60 votes. A 50-50 split wouldn't do it. The only 2 Dems who can share in any blame for this, or any other bill during this era, are the 2 Dems that are still sucking off the filibuster.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe this is a better question for an Arizona or West Virginia based forum (Um maybe @Baby Shoes (if he returns) or @Dandy can relay it) but I'd be curious to know what Democrats in their home state think of their Senators.

Sinema hasn't been around long enough for people to develop deep seeded feelings for probably but I'm guessing Manchin is the Democrat equivalent of Susan Collins here in Maine. The State Republican Party really doesn't like her and wishes that she was more far right (or further than she already is if you ask me and the rest of the libcucks) but it's a Devil you know is better than the Devil you don't type deal.

Also just judging from what little I know (and again Dandy feel free to pistol whip me if I'm wrong) but it seems like West Virginia is last stronghold for pro guns, pro life Democrats.

Dandy

Reaction score
I can elaborate further if there is any desire for that, but here is a basic synopsis.

Manchin was very much liked by the majority of the state when he was a state senator and then as Secretary of State. He had lost a primary for Governor previously, but won in a landslide when the incumbent decided not to run again and Manchin had announced his running again. He was a very popular Governor for both terms.

When Robert C. Byrd died, Manchin appointed his young legal advisor as the interim and then announced that he would run for the open Senate spot. He won the special election.

Once in Washington, West Virginia began souring on him. This was mainly because West Virginia Democrats were becoming Republicans. It is a very long and winding road, but the basics are that southern West Virginians were 85% Democrats because John F. Kennedy’s father sent people with money down to secure JFK’s presidential election. Look up, “Don’t buy another vote; I won’t pay for a landslide.” But the majority of these people were not heavily educated and did not want progress or outsiders. They wanted to have the husband work in the coal mines; the wife in the kitchen; and a white couple next door.

Just like the Dixiecrats, these Democrats became Republicans and DINOs (Democrats In Name Only). They hated Manchin because he did not denounce the Democrats and become a full-blown Republican. (Carpetbagger, douchenozzle) Attorney General Patrick Morrisey ran against Manchin in the latest US Senate election and Manchin squeaked out a win. He will not win another term. This state is 1960s Mississippi right now, and Manchin is too moderate for them.

Long story summation, the Democrats did not want to vote for Joe Manchin but knew he was the only bastion of hope against having a rubber stamp Republican toadie in his spot.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
JD Vance should move to West Virginia if he wants to be a senator. Seems like it'd be practically guaranteed as opposed to the slightly more difficult Ohio. Why do so many people throughout this country so desperately want their own lives to be miserable?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Why do so many people throughout this country so desperately want their own lives to be miserable?
Because racism. I will never be surprised by how many people in this country will set themselves on fire, if it meant being assured that black and brown people will get killed by the smoke.

Dandy

Reaction score
Uneducated regions with very little choices for work were targeted by the GOP for recruitment. Like Slim mentioned, appealing to their inherent racism was one avenue. Another was making them think they were included with the rich; that the GOP was working for *them.* I have acquaintances and friends that complain about the lower class and they make $30,000 per year. They include themselves in the upper class like the GOP want. The GOP targeted poor, white, evangelicals (as well as people that want others to think they are Christians).

Instead of fighting the GOP for that demographic, working on voter turnout for people that are being held down or discarded is the way to go.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

If passed, the bills could force Apple to change how it runs its app store, break apart Amazon's control of its marketplace and halt Facebook and Google from buying smaller rivals in an effort to remake the online ecosystem.

I'm totally for this but we need to apply it to a lot more than just big tech companies that the republicans think are bullying them. It needs to be applied to all the mega-corporations. As deeply concerning as Amazon/Apple/Google are I'm not as worried by them as I am any number of other companies who are better at operating under the radar.