Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2022 NFL Offseason

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
For teams officially (or never in) on the outside looking to next year, let's get this thread ready.

5 Offseason Questions
#1: What is your team's #1 and #2 needs?
#2: Looking at spotrac or overthecap, which players would you bring back? Who do you let leave?
#3: What free agent signing (name preferable but position is fine) is an absolute necessity?
#4: Which positions should your team target in the NFL Draft?
#5: Name up to 3 FAs that would be great fits for your team that non-fans may not know (whether it's scheme-related, past history with a HC, etc.)

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Patriots signed OT Arlington Hambright to a futures/reserves contract. He was a 7th Round pick of the Chicago Bears, starting 1 game at LG in 2020, then spent 2021 on their practice squad.

They also are bringing back 6 players from their own practice squad: RB Devine Ozigbo, WR Tre Nixon, WR Malcolm Perry, WR Kristian Wilkerson, OT Will Sherman, and K Quinn Nordin

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing to watch is what the fuck the Saints do to just try and get under the 2022 Salary Cap. They are currently sitting at 74.061 MILLION above the Salary Cap including $11.5 Million to Drew Brees in Dead Cap room. Cutting WR Michael Thomas and LT Terron Armstead post-June 1st saves them above $24 Million alone but still leaves them at $50 Million over.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't even want to imagine that line without Armstead. I've already made peace with losing MT. But yeah, GM Mickey Loomis has been into some salary cap fuckery for a while and it is surprising we had the talent to go 9-8 this year. This is the point in Madden when you just load up on UDFAs for a few years and build through the draft.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
People really underrate how many pieces elite championship teams needed on both sides of the ball. Even just looking at the 1997/1998 Denver Broncos, people are like, "Well, Elway finally got a RB so of course they won Super Bowls."

Offensively they also had WR Rod Smith, WR Ed McCaffrey, and TE Shannon Sharpe plus a damn good OL. Defensively they had: Neil Smith, Keith Traylor, Trevor Pryce, John Mobley, Bill Romanowski, Ray Crockett, Tyrone Braxton, and Steve Atwater.

A lot of the struggles for the 00s Colts with Peyton was because they (IMO) lacked the elite LBs/CBs despite having guys like Dwight Freeney and Bob Sanders. The 00s/10s Saints largely never consistently had all 3 levels of elite defensive talent and same for the Packers.

I'm not 100% sold on the axiom that "defense" wins championships but if your defense is a liability and your team's built around winning an offensive shootout, you put yourself in a much harder position to win if that offense has an "off" night (see the 00s Rams post-2001).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Team with the best QB wins majority of the time but Nick Foles, super washed Peyton Manning, and Joe Flacco have all won rings in past 10 years. I'm not sure if I'd say having an elite QB is overrated persay but it's not the absolute must have that a lot of bullheaded football "experts" seem to think it is.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Team with the best QB wins majority of the time but Nick Foles, super washed Peyton Manning, and Joe Flacco have all won rings in past 10 years. I'm not sure if I'd say having an elite QB is overrated persay but it's not the absolute must have that a lot of bullheaded football "experts" seem to think it is.

The Ravens didn't just win with Falcco, they also won in 2000 with TRENT DILFER.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If Rams won the Soup, Idk if I'd put Stafford in category of marginal QBs to win a Soup. He's clearly a good quarterback that spent almost all of his career in a rotten environment. Not saying there's any scenario where he ends up an all time great but I think his career trajectory probably looks a lot different if he gets drafted by Kansas City or Seattle.

Looking at his Pro-Football Reference page
Players whose career was of similar quality and shape
Tony Romo, Mark Brunell, Steve McNair, Jim Kelly*, Joe Namath*, Jim Everett, Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Terry Bradshaw*, Joe Theismann

Star indicates Hall of Famer. If he does win a Soup, it's not too unreasonable to imagine him becoming a HOFer?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
The modern era Packers are almost like an inverted Ditka era Bears team. Bears had everything but a QB (and mostly lacking WR talent too once Gault was traded) but their running game, o-line and D had them win 10+ games a bunch of years in a row and shit the bed in the Playoffs (often at home).
---
Who's the most obscure guy to win several Super Bowls? I think of a guy like Derek Loville, who won one with the Niners and 2 more in Denver.
Gale Gilbert was on 5 straight losing teams.

Staff member
Reaction score
Matthew Stafford isn't a HOF player unless he wins Super Bowls two years in a row.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For the ongoing OT rules debate, I saw this clip on a proposed solution, and it's surprisingly not bad? The full idea is combined between the caller's original suggestion, plus Rich Eisen's further thoughts. It still might not be perfect, but it should cater to the 'don't let a coin toss decide the game' crowd, at least a little bit.

Recap for those who don't want to watch/listen to the entire clip:

- There is no OT coin toss.
- The only coin toss is the one at the very start of the game, and the winner still decides if they want the ball or defer to second half, like normal.
- If they defer, they also defer at the start of a potential OT. If you receive, you also receive at the start of OT.
- The key is that once the game begins, it is already determined who receives an OT kickoff, so act accordingly--especially as the 4th quarter winds down in a close game.

Could lead to many interesting scenarios. If they know they're kicking off to start an OT, more teams might be willing to go for 2 for a win, instead of a game-tying extra point. Teams who win the coin toss probably tend to defer more often than not these days, but maybe that changes a bit? Or maybe not, because only a small percentage of games actually make it to OT.

First time I've heard it and it seems interesting, if anything.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If a game is tied just do the hockey thing and do a FG contest but the other team gets to select three opposing players to kick.

better hope your third string nose tackle has a strong leg.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ClearChillyDeinonychus-size_restricted.gif

He missed.