Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

4K and UHD TVs

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody got anything yet? I'm strongly eyeing a 40" Samsung (about $530-$570 depending on sale/deal price) but want to hold off and save up some money as mine's hitting around the 4 and 1/2 year mark.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
My HDTV was fried by a storm this past Friday. Heading out this afternoon to look at some UHD options. First world problems out the ass, I know.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, most 40-48" sets are starting to drop down to the $500 range (with the right sales) so I'm aiming for September or October to start looking harder at these. More content should be out for them by then too and streaming from Amazon/Netflix should be improved.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I bought my first TV last November. I went HDTV because I wanted to go bigger and a little cheaper. Most of the articles I read at the time were that 4K/UHD were not necessary yet, but will be much more prominent around the start of 2017. I think good deals will be had around Black Friday and the first quarter of 2017.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
On the cheaper sets just watch to make sure the refresh rate is ok. I've heard on the cheap/low end ones, they could have a crappy rate on there which effects the viewing experience.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Avoid 60hz refresh. Spend a couple extra bucks and get a set with 120hz. If you want that BBC stage presentation look, go for 240HZ with a high contrast ratio.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Off the top of my head I can think of three households we frequently visit that have the newest of new in TV technology and the picture just looks like it's moving "too fast" for what I'm used to on a regular old 1080p(?) TV.

Is my brain just too slow to process UHD/4K or is there some sort of setting I can suggest they adjust. Also, I'll probably need the information for my own personal use at some point when I join you guys in the 21st century.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Saints_Fan_H said:
Off the top of my head I can think of three households we frequently visit that have the newest of new in TV technology and the picture just looks like it's moving "too fast" for what I'm used to on a regular old 1080p(?) TV.

Is my brain just too slow to process UHD/4K or is there some sort of setting I can suggest they adjust. Also, I'll probably need the information for my own personal use at some point when I join you guys in the 21st century.

Depends on the TV Brand but I always assume they have some sort of Motion Control/Motion Plus/SOAP style effect automatically turned on and don't know to turn it off (unless they like that kind of effect). It can usually be found in Advanced Settings/Picture Options.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally got a 40" 4K UHD Samsung with HDR for $549 at Best Buy (Samsung lists the retail price at $1049). Had to tweak it a fair bit to get it to work for general HD but the 4K Netflix is some glorious stuff.

As for the above, SFH, it may be that they have their TV Picture set to 'Dynamic'? I changed it to 'Movie' and it looked more Film-like (even Standard looked less Motiony).

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
So my Samsung is suffering from solarized images on the display (tested it on my 4K UHD Player & PS4 inputs too). Like watching an acid trip but most people have said it's T-Con Board related usually.

Gonna stop by Best Buy, as it's still under warranty, tomorrow to see if I need to bring the TV to them or if they'll just completely replace this one or if it needs to be shipped to Samsung themselves or what.

This is the closest to how my current image is. It's not super bad but light colors/whites are horrendous.
698717.jpg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Started up my TV after getting home and it's back to working normally. Very weird. Said it was updated to Version 12.03.96 or something, even odder since I tried to update it manually yesterday and it said my TV was the current version but I also have it set to Auto Update.

Wonder if they sent out a patch or something to fix the issue.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Picked up a 50" Sony Bravia LED TV 4K UHD for about $600 as my Samsung was being wonky with Fubo.tv and I needed an upgrade anyway.

Holy Shit is the 4K through my 4K player insane quality and I thought it looked good on Samsung but this blows it away from a TV Quality/Sound perspective.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
Any notable differences between the Sony and Samsung? I've always stuck to Samsung because I tend to do that with brands.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Any notable differences between the Sony and Samsung? I've always stuck to Samsung because I tend to do that with brands.
Massive, massive difference. Sony is the go-to for audio anyway but the picture quality is a massive difference even just right out of the box. The contrast (darkest blacks vs. lightest whites) is the major factor but even color clarity/sharpness is better IMO. I could never quite get the pure white factor on my Samsung despite a ton of tweaking and this hits it right out of the box.

It gives me that same mind-blowing feeling I had watching 4K for the first time on my Samsung back in 2016.

Last edited: