Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

A to Z Rock Project Copied from 909 That Will Probably Never Be Finished

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm gonna do a A to Z rock project and listen to major band discographies from "A-ABBA to Z-Zeppelin," except I'm not gonna listen to Abba and Zeppelin will be under L. Also, I will go against the spirit of this type of project and not listen to obvious trash, because there is no way I'm gonna listen to Everybody's Rockin' when I could just skip ahead to Freedom (I'm sure Inc. probably still has something good to say about the former).

Maybe I will post thoughts here, or maybe I won't. Maybe I'll also get tired of this project after slogging through 90s AC/DC, but we will see. After all, I reserve the right to skip anything I want.

A to C

AC/DC
Aerosmith
Alice in Chains
Allman Brothers Band
Anthrax
Bad Brains
Band, The
Beatles, The
Black Crowes
Black Sabbath
Blue Öyster Cult
Boston
Bowie, David
Browne, Jackson
Cars, The
Cheap Trick
Clapton, Eric (incl. Derek and the Dominoes)
Clash, The
Cooper, Alice
Cream
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young)
Cult, The

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For bands like the Beatles which released a ton of standalone singles, I'll probably also listen to appropriate tracks on "Red"/"Blue albums

Pumpkin Spice Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I probably meant the trio of crud between For Those About to Rock... and Razors Edge. Actually, those two also have a lot of filler, so I may not make it past the title song of the former!
Yeah, mid-late '80s is AC/DC's crappy material but I guess it depends on how much you like AC/DC. Obviously, some of their albums are better than others but they're kind of like horror movies in the sense that if you really like one, you'll probably like all of them to some extent.

And I feel like listening to like 4 to 6 albums throughout a band's discography should suffice (especially if it's a band with only 4 to 6 albums). Even artists with great late era work have plenty of chaff and sidebars that really don't say anything about their legacies.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Adding a few I forgot earlier:

Beck
Costello, Elvis
The Cure

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Actually may make this more of a classic rock/heavy rock/bigger alt rock band list. I may do another one on alt rock after this.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The only of Young's Geffen-era albums I like is Old Ways, but I really, really like that one a lot. From that era, I know Trans has its defenders, but I'm not one of them.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If an artist isn't listed, it's because I have no interest in listening to their discography. Sorry, Bryan Adams

Valeyard

Burn
Reaction score
Just try not to turn a project like this into an obligation. It should be fun.