Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Abortion

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
No matter what side of the coin you're on (I'm pro-choice) it's insane that this shit in Mississippi is valid even in cases of incest. I feel like that should be the one thing that 100% of people just understand is way over the line. I can not see a good life for anyone finding out they were a product of that unless they're the newest member of the royal family.

Also, even though I am pro-choice, I had seen stories of women getting pregnant and going through abortions just to cause mental anguish to the fathers, or just because they thought it be fun (??!!!), and those ladies can rightly take a flying fuck at a rolling donut.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where have you seen those stories. If that actually happens they would be incredibly uncommon. That sounds more like ProLife propaganda where they took something that never happened or was very isolated and blew it up online.

Staff member
Reaction score
While there definitely isn't an equal share of blame here, it's crazy how Democrats decided not to codify this into law. I hate this shit but the chickens are coming home to roost on this one. We had fifty years man. The fuck were people thinking

Dandy

Reaction score
Yeah, it is like the bogeyman of late term abortions and The Right saying women are getting abortions at 39 weeks. What female would carry that long and go through all that to use abortion as birth control? That is asinine. But what does happen sometimes is medically necessary that The Right wants to make sweepingly illegal as all “abortions.”

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
nobody does this
I'm sure it has happened but it's at such a negligible number, it shouldn't even be brought up. I don't think us can grasp how physically, emotionally, and mentally draining the procedure is. It's not something you get on a whim. Especially if you're getting it in the last trimester. Overturning Roe V Wade isn't going to stop abortion, it's just going to make it insanely more dangerous. Scary times for all those in birth giving bodies!

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Oklahoma governor signed a bill outlawing abortion in the state, with no exceptions for rape or incest, only "medical emergencies".

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Mainstream Democrats are either incompetent or insincere and I'm not sure which one is worse.

I guess it's better than outright evil so VOTE! *sigh*
They could have made this this the official law of the land during the Obama years, so I’m gonna go with insincere. With some exceptions, they don’t give a shit about us or this.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mainstream Democrats are woefully incompetent and demonstratively insincere. This should have been codified with Clinton, to be honest but everyone kept thinking that despite it being a major party issue since Roe, Republicans wouldn't go as far as they have. The more I look back at the Obama presidency, I understand just how much of an absolute pussy he was in trying to fight against conservatives, and that's acknowledging the stack he had against him with the GOP owning the Senate and Congress.

Pelosi asking for money after she and a majority of "Top Dems" backed Cuellar here in Texas, knowing he was like the lone Dem to vote against abortion rights is not only a Holmes-ish dick slap to the face but a reminder of just where she and other's priorities are.

A friend of a co-worker on Facebook said this was a "state's rights" issue, and when I told her that was the Confederacies stance to justify slaver, she literally said "different issue - different time."

Fuck each and every conservative, moderate, and "moderate" democrat.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looking at a map, the closest state to me with legal access is Illinois. Not a bad drive in one day. I posted on my personal social media that Mrs. SFH and I are willing to take a road trip with anyone that finds themself alone with no where else to turn. I'm surprised at the amount of people commenting that they'll either join the ride or just straight up chip in for gas money.

We're willing to deal with the cost of gas and eat Ramen and dollar store frozen burritos for a month if our budget has to help someone in our area with no other obvious allies.

Right now our energies are focused on anger in the news, but at some point I (and the rest of us) need to invest some energy in praising people finally coming out of the woodwork to also express anger. Maybe we all should have been more vocal previously? I would assume if I'm turning up to every election to vote and my friends that were on the DL supporting abortion access were also voting, we're doing what we can in a completely out numbered context.

One of the New Orleans burlesque troops, I have casual acquaintances in this one, donated all of tonight's proceeds to the New Orleans abortion fund.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Question for the legal beagles here for tek, broward, and all of the TSMers in blue cities in deep red states...is it possible for a city to legalize abortion or is that something that can only be done at a statewide level?

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
From my very brief reading? Kinda. There are Utah laws that the SLC prosecutor has openly said he will not hear cases on, effectively meaning that the two clinics within his jurisdiction wouldn't be affected by the state laws so long as he remained prosecutor.

This is similar in execution to states that have legalized cannabis early on by just refusing to enforce the federal laws.

Atlanta, too, had something similar, where the city would refuse to prosecute, or hear cases against, doctors providing reproductive health services and/or the women who've utilized them.