Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Abortion

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Question for the legal beagles here for tek, broward, and all of the TSMers in blue cities in deep red states...is it possible for a city to legalize abortion or is that something that can only be done at a statewide level?
Not sure if an emergency room physician counts, but yesterday I heard the ER doc telling his nurses, "if you think the DA here has the time to prosecute that shit, you got another thing coming. They are already overworked and back logged." Then they noticed me standing there and went back to work.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
The way these people think in a nutshell, from the trolling with the racist comment to the outright admission that they don’t mind states having the power to dehumanize.

A2C38F9D-CFBA-4F59-A966-C44275DD4FBE.jpeg

1656251890283.gif

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen so many people including some who claim to be pro-choice defend this as a states' rights issue and I just want to bash my head against a wall.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
It's only a states rights issue because Dems who ran on LGBTQIA+ and Women's Rights tickets decided not to flex their goddamn muscles and get the fucking job done.

Now? It's a states rights thing. So vote for the furthest left option this cycle. Boycott and picket businesses that help fund pro-life assholes.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I honestly don’t understand the argument that it’s a states rights issue. In these peoples mind, how is that suppose to be better?

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
It's only a states rights issue because Dems who ran on LGBTQIA+ and Women's Rights tickets decided not to flex their goddamn muscles and get the fucking job done.

Now? It's a states rights thing. So vote for the furthest left option this cycle. Boycott and picket businesses that help fund pro-life assholes.
Ok. But we live in Tennessee.

Laz

Reaction score
Ok. But we live in Tennessee.
And the governor seat is up this year. Bill Lee is likely to retain, but he's facing competition, and the growing rate of residents moving to the area from California and the Northeast may help the state trend purple.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I honestly don’t understand the argument that it’s a states rights issue. In these peoples mind, how is that suppose to be better?

It's not, just a slight dog whistle, along with it "not originally being in the Constitution" that people that are truly pro-life but don't want to catch any heat for or just want Conservative legislation go through.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Remember. Southerners (and racists) still think that the Civil War was over "states rights". It's been a dog whistle term for 150+ years!

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
And the governor seat is up this year. Bill Lee is likely to retain, but he's facing competition, and the growing rate of residents moving to the area from California and the Northeast may help the state trend purple.
"Realtor Emily Learned of Village Real Estate agreed that clients have most often cited more conservative politics as the top reason for moving to Tennessee from California."

There was another, better article that echoed the same idea, but I can't find it right now. Nashville's mostly getting Calfornia's bougie Republicans.

Staff member
Reaction score
"Realtor Emily Learned of Village Real Estate agreed that clients have most often cited more conservative politics as the top reason for moving to Tennessee from California."

There was another, better article that echoed the same idea, but I can't find it right now. Nashville's mostly getting Calfornia's bougie Republicans.

Yea, blue voters who leave move to Colorado, Nevada, Oregon, or Washington.

States like Texas, Arizona, Kansas, and Tennessee get our trash.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We have a Democrat governor that I voted for twice. He even supported exceptions for incest/rape. Guess what, he put his signature on a complete ban anyway!

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
Yea, blue voters who leave move to Colorado, Nevada, Oregon, or Washington.

States like Texas, Arizona, Kansas, and Tennessee get our trash.
We do too, I meet a lot of transplants who are taking visitors on a tour and yeah, they came down to South Carolina for a reason and that reason wasn't the weather.

Staff member
Reaction score
Btw in this era of digital surveillance I suggest if you plan on transporting people from state to state, you do all your meetings with the group in person and not online. Otherwise you'll find yourself in prison mad fast, you aren't just going to get away with planning crimes (that shouldn't be crimes) using the internet or your phone.

Staff member
Reaction score
Also think about leaving your phone at home whenever you do something like this

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also think about leaving your phone at home whenever you do something like this

Is it illegal to go across state lines for an abortion? I don't know if this is in place yet.

Also, is California going to allow states to extradite Cali citizens for aiding and abetting? I think there are still lots of unknowns here

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it illegal to go across state lines for an abortion? I don't know if this is in place yet.

Also, is California going to allow states to extradite Cali citizens for aiding and abetting? I think there are still lots of unknowns here
In some states yes it is going to be, or it will be illegal to aid.

CA already said they aren't gonna cooperate with any of this shit and we're going to change our state constitution.

Staff member
Reaction score
They'll also wind up having their AG usurp those DA's somehow. There's no reach around victory that's gonna happen here, these people are really evil and really smart, they've already thought of everything.

Staff member
Reaction score

Laz

Reaction score

Lmao so next time you need the people you elected to fight for you? Might as well not hope for it. That was one of the few options left.
"We swear, THIS TIME we'll do what you want us to do when you vote, we promise"

Staff member
Reaction score
Until they talk about expanding the court I see no reason to vote for them. That is literally the only thing that solves this problem. SCOTUS will strike down every law they don't like.

Laz

Reaction score
RE: the laws that say you can't leave the state for an abortion

What's the workaround? Because it seems, in my limited understanding, that a state cannot charge you for a crime if the location wherein it occurred it's either (a) outside of their jurisdiction, or (b) legal. For example, if Texas were to try to prosecute somebody for traveling to Oregon for an abortion, how would that not be a violation of jurisdictional limits (as Texas state laws do not apply to Oregon), the Right to Travel (as ruled by Kent v. Dulles, which allows citizens to travel freely unless under investigation with due process), the Fourth Amendment (protection against unreasonable search and seizure, ie. "traveling out of state is not probable cause to assume illegal activities have occurred"), and/or the Fourteenth Amendment (which Roe was ruled under, but still does not allow prosecution for activities that occurred in jurisdictions where such things are legal)?

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
RE: the laws that say you can't leave the state for an abortion

What's the workaround? Because it seems, in my limited understanding, that a state cannot charge you for a crime if the location wherein it occurred it's either (a) outside of their jurisdiction, or (b) legal. For example, if Texas were to try to prosecute somebody for traveling to Oregon for an abortion, how would that not be a violation of jurisdictional limits (as Texas state laws do not apply to Oregon), the Right to Travel (as ruled by Kent v. Dulles, which allows citizens to travel freely unless under investigation with due process), the Fourth Amendment (protection against unreasonable search and seizure, ie. "traveling out of state is not probable cause to assume illegal activities have occurred"), and/or the Fourteenth Amendment (which Roe was ruled under, but still does not allow prosecution for activities that occurred in jurisdictions where such things are legal)?
It seems like they are going to start with civil action first: