Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW in Summer 2022: This was supposed to be the Summer of Punk.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
So are they planning not to have Page on the PPV at all? Or is he facing Cole in a match? I think it would be a big mistake to leave him off of the PPV.
Agreed, and I don't know....part of me thinks they are going to end up doing Okada and Page after all, it makes the most sense...both guys lost their world titles recently, etc. The talk last week that Okada isnt working the ppv might all be a swerve, hopefully. Just seems weird Okada wont work this ppv but did a throwaway tag with Romero in DC? But then again isn't his wife expecting soon?

As far as Black goes, I wish he could be in there with White, would be a phenomenal title match, but it looks almost a lock (since Penta can't work the ppv) that he will be in that four way with Ishii, Pac, and Miro....that match should fuckin bring it.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I didn't realize how much I wanted a White/Black (lol) match until that fourway made me realize I really want a Miro/Ishii singles match. I love back but still.

This all said as someone who would unironically book Pac/Fale instead because it would be awesome.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I still think it’ll be a triple threat between White/Page/Cole with Cole taking the pin from White.

I also think that was the original plan with Okada before they realized he was taking time off.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
So TK was on Busted Open this morning, and mentioned there will be four new matches added to the ppv on tonight's show.....predictions what is coming?

We have already talked about it a bit....who will face White for the IWGP title? You got Cole and/or Page (maybe both) but unless that was all storyline last week, it appears neither will face him and who knows on the Omega rumors. There really is a good amount of AEW talent with no direction for this show, such as Keith Lee, Swerve, Wardlow, Scorpio, Darby, Sting, Jungle Boy, Samoa Joe, etc. Out of those names, Joe stands out as maybe an ideal opponent in this situation, unless he's fully out with his acting gig. Part of me is still sticking to the idea they may be rushing Omega returning to face him at the ppv, banking that fans will know and be aware of their previous storyline in NJPW and that angle in Impact too.

I have a bad feeling Danielson won't be able to work on Sunday, so that leaves ZSJ without an opponent. Maybe this is where Page fits in to take the place of Bryan in that match.

I think a Bullet Club vs Undisputed Elite multi-man almost has to happen. Cole/RD/Bucks vs. Good Brothers/KENTA/Hikuleo/ELP (Fale/Owens could be in there instead of a few others listed)

Not sure what else is going to be set but I almost feel like another faction war match perhaps. Guys like Naito, Shingo, and LIJ have no spot at all, throw them in a multi-man against who from AEW? Looking back at the names above.....Sting/Darby/Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus or something along those lines?

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Do you think they would do Jungle Boy v. Christian this early? My guess is since they are doing an all AEW Womens Title match that two of the four matches may be with just AEW talents.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Do you think they would do Jungle Boy v. Christian this early? My guess is since they are doing an all AEW Womens Title match that two of the four matches may be with just AEW talents.
It's possible they do a mix of AEW/NJPW talent in a six man situation with those two, similar to how they are doing the Jericho six man. But I'd almost think that match could be saved for a future Dynamite main event in July.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
Were is this idea that LIJ can't wokr the show coming from? They don't work in Mexico. LIJ is a japanese gimmick loosely tied to CMLL. CMLL isn't the one banning guys from working the NJPW show it's AAA I thought. If it was tied to the "Los Ignobles" name for some insane reason they'd just not use the unit name.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
i literally said in the thread before the show started to 909 and brocklock that bryan was going to announce a replacement for blood and guts and the ppv that was new to aew. I said Cesaro or Chris Hero

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
i literally said in the thread before the show started to 909 and brocklock that bryan was going to announce a replacement for blood and guts and the ppv that was new to aew. I said Cesaro or Chris Hero
It'll be Cesaro. Just wondering if he stays as Cesaro (or possibly a play off the name) or returns back to Claudio Castagnoli

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe Gresham?

It’s a tough spot because I think ZSJr has to win this match, but the person will also be in Blood and Guts.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Gargano is trending on twitter and since I can't watch I really hope this isn't the case.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
okada megaover there

I assume it's okada/page vs jay/cole with CAN THEY TRUST EACH OTHER especially on the BC side. That sets up a ton of future matches and should be great. lot of dynamics in that match

Staff member
Reaction score
Rampage is also looking good and they usually announce one more PPV match on there. My only complaint about Forbidden Door is that I'm not going to be there.

Staff member
Reaction score
There is one more PPV match and it's Kanemaru and Despy vs Keith Lee and Swerve.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
At this point Kip still being under the box just has to be a mean rib.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's comical how much Scooter Keith hated this show and is dreading Forbidden Door Vs CXF's reaction to it.

(I cannot stress this enough. I did not base my initial skepticism on Forbidden Door on 2022 Useless Moron Scott Keith reviews btw, CWM!!!)

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
I'm not particularly excited for the show and am looking at it like ECW's One Night Stand 2005 where the entire crowd is going to know everything about everyone and cheer them like gods. It's an interesting one-off curiosity. Those are fun to watch even if I don't know who most NJPW people are. One thing I can say in the build is that nothing has made me say "hmm, I should give that other company a look."

The best part of the show being this weekend is that AEW can sort of return to business afterward and hopefully sort out a rhythm again. It's been rough lately.