Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW x NJPW: Forbidden Door

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Also, has to make AEW consider moving to 6 ppvs a year. I know they don't want to kill their market, but it seems like there would be demand. Perhaps the impending recession might make them hold off?

Staff member
Reaction score
The best part was seeing the bullshit theory that Japanese wrestlers couldn’t get over dissolve almost immediately upon their entering the arena. People are always going to look back on this show through justified rose colored glasses. It was the kind of thing that only happens when everyone involved loves pro wrestling as much as the hardest of hardcore fans do.

They put Moxley, Danielson, Regal, and Claudio in a faction dude.
Sting bridged the gap from the Horsemen to the NWO to Bullet Club.
And there’s a fucking War Games on Wednesday. Not sanitized bullshit but a real one!

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Like I said earlier, positive buzz on this show and fact that roster HOPEFULLY will be healthier for the sequel really makes me think that Forbidden Door II should be their first outdoor stadium show.
Also, has to make AEW consider moving to 6 ppvs a year. I know they don't want to kill their market, but it seems like there would be demand. Perhaps the impending recession might make them hold off?
I almost wonder if the ROH PPVs are going to be proxy AEW PPVs tbh so they do essentially end up with 6-8 PPVs a year.

Last edited:

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Damn, how did they not have Yano mix it up with Danhausen? They need to follow up on that idea!

Anyway, got back last night from Chicago, what an amazing show it was being at live. We had killer seats too, probably yall saw me marking out in the lower level in front of the ring with my bright ass yellow/green RVD shirt. Really, from almost top to bottom (even including the preshow matches) this was one memorable live event for sure. I think I enjoyed it more than last years All Out and last years Full Gear, and it probably had more strong matches than those shows as well. Eons better live than Double or Nothing this year was too.

So some random notes from the show......first off, that fight in the stands was no joke during the main. In fact there is a video floating around of the first guy really trying to fight off security and met with punches galore by staff near the top of the section. The second guy, needless to say, didn't resist nearly as much after that.

Pop-wise, holy fuck did Claudio get absolutely the biggest pop of the show, with Okada maybe a far second. This was maybe the best crowd I've ever been a part of, really.

Really I can't complain about too much other than that I thought maybe the show should have ended a bit differently instead of another angle to lead to Blood N Guts. It just didn't fit well unless there was a big surprise run-in planned. I guess we finally got the swing, but again, I just didnt feel like this was the place for it on the show.

The women's match and maybe a few of the preshow matches were a bit low end, but still not that bad. Of the pre-show bouts, I really enjoyed the Lee/Swerve vs. Despy/Kanamaru bout the best. Out of the main card, Osperay and Cassidy blew me away, and I also really got into the Sting tag match. But really, the whole show flowed super well, felt like a 3 hour show but it ended up being 5. Both title matches were pretty great as well, shame on the Cole injury situation but I felt like they were close to the finish on that one anyway.