Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW Year 2, Thread One

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I was thinking it’s been awful quiet on the RVD front but based on his last Impact run, he feels really out of place outside scuzzy indies at this stage.

I’d actually see him more of the ladder match entrant than the major surprise, though Khan was a big ECW guy.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I don’t believe it would be Punk but I also feel that whoever it is would deny it if asked because it ruins things. Why waste the big deal reveal answering some dope on Twitter?

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For real, it's gonna be a guy who was at the top of the cards for a bit, but never given a proper chance. Became one of the first casualties of meme culture and his career never recovered. He has a family connection to Cody and has long been underrated by the meathead wrestling journalists

maxresdefault.jpg

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Finally watched the show this week. For as little as he cared promoting it, Shaq definatley brought his working boots and deserves credit for that, at the very least.

Yeah, the more I'm thinking about it, the more I think Angle is the big surprise this Sunday which would be fine, I guess. I'm just kind of over all these legends being signed at this point. If it was Lesnar, that would be awesome but highly doubtful.

I don't care what anyone says, JJ and Tully were awesome in their respective roles. Tully still moves pretty damn well.

I'm still looking forward to Sting returning to the ring on Sunday. It'll likely be a cinematic match but what they do with it is what I'm interested in.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
I love Kurt Angle, he's in my top five all-time all-time, but I really hope it's not him. He's in the Sting vein where I love the guy, but I don't need to see him wrestle ever again, or really even need him on my TV. Leave the memories alone, etc.

That said, based on current intel, that's absolutely my guess.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Some twitter rumbling it could be Chris Hero, which I would prefer over Angle but it is what it is.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Man that would be the dumbest fucking thing.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Folks...we got our man. Game changer:

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
So, is Chris Hero one of Tony's all time favs?

As seen in the clip below, Khan talked to host David LaGreca and his co-host, WWE Hall of Famer Mark Henry, and said the new AEW signing is one of his all-time favorite wrestlers. Khan was asked if this signing really will be a huge topic of discussion on Monday morning.

“Yes,” Khan answered. “One of my all-time favorite wrestlers I’m very excited about.”

Khan added, “I am fired up.”

Henry and LaGreca expressed their excitement over the big reveal at Revolution.

“I’ll say one thing, it’s one of my all-time favorite wrestlers,” Khan continued. “I tipped this on AEW Unrestricted [podcast], I said the gender is a male. He’s coming, he’s going to do great things for us, he’s committed, he’s going to sign a contract on Sunday at Revolution on pay-per-view.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Easing into the final final Raven/Dreamer match.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
No disrespect to Hero because I do like him but I can’t see how anyone thinks the way Paul Wight basically gushed about this person in the promo and hyped up the impact of this signing is going to lead to Chris Hero. Tony Khan doing the interviews the way he did - he probably likes Hero but this has to be someone more significant to get this treatment. That would be too big of a hype for even someone like Miro who is destined to be a top guy and a known commodity to broad modern audiences. General audiences and casual audiences don’t know Hero. Unless they want to use it to turn Wight heel already, it has to deliver on a big name at this point.

The closer we get, the more I am thinking it may really be RVD. I would think Angle or RVD if it is someone intended to work in the ring, even only for a few matches. Christian isn’t a bad guess or a letdown but the one thing that has me unsure is whatever his contract is. I’d assume he was on some kind of deal to do some of the broadcasting he was doing. Anyone of those guys, even having a handful of matches would be similar to AEW trying to bring in Edge, which was the catalyst for WWE to give him a big deal to come back.

Although I don’t want it, with the impending expansion of shows I think the speculation of Mauro is more appropriate to this tease than Chris Hero. That’s a broadcaster who has been on huge events outside of wrestling and whether you like his style or not, brings credibility and recognition from fringe viewers.

I hope Hero does show up at some point. I think it would be good for him and AEW but debuting him like this would only be detrimental to him.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Lawler is another one - Hall of Fame in-ring and broadcaster. He and JR still hang out regularly. Another one that I don’t necessarily want regularly on TV but he could bring a lot to the talent and it would feel like a big departure since Lawler has been part of WWE for the better part of the last thirty years.