Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW Year 2, Thread One

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I don't think Page for sure. I think they see him as the future face champ. The problem is if you create the new 4 horsemen you really gotta have them go for the world belt, and I think that is where Omega is going. So, either Omega is in it, or the 4 horsemen are neutered from the start.

But, what I really want is Cody leading it as a heel and going after face Mox. I think that would be an awesome feud, and great matches. You would then have MJF in the Tully role feuding with Jericho and FTR as the tag champs.

The Omega heel turn is what confuses me over all of it.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Having Cody/Omega in the stable is weird, if you factor in past beefs and all of that. I know they made-up near the end of their NJPW run, but it just seems that those two would be diametrically opposite of the other. So if you keep those two, there's a weird dynamic of Cody being Flair with a mid-card title but having the "look" and backing of being a true leader while the perceived 2nd in command is the one vying for world titles and possibly getting more TV time.

So I'd go FTR, Omega and as a weird wildcard pick, Wardlow after Omega uses whatever EVP strings he can pull to reconfigure Wardlow's contract to not be tied to MJF.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
if you're talking about doing an actual 4 horsemen stable then they just shouldn't do it. It won't be as good as the previous incarnations and will only invite comparisons. They need to establish their own identity as a company not constantly look to the past (some is fine!). WWE leaning too heavy on nostalgia was actively harmful.

If we're talking about a 4 man stable similar but different to the Horsemen then FTR, Cody and someone they see a lot of potential in would be good. They could even play with the idea of it being like the horsemen as a subtext just don't really rub it in the face. I think that would be more interesting.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
if you're talking about doing an actual 4 horsemen stable then they just shouldn't do it. It won't be as good as the previous incarnations and will only invite comparisons. They need to establish their own identity as a company not constantly look to the past (some is fine!). WWE leaning too heavy on nostalgia was actively harmful.

If we're talking about a 4 man stable similar but different to the Horsemen then FTR, Cody and someone they see a lot of potential in would be good. They could even play with the idea of it being like the horsemen as a subtext just don't really rub it in the face. I think that would be more interesting.

A friend of mine at work over skype the other day mentioned Cody, FTR and Jack Perry as the group he would pick. With Perry playing up his Hollywood side for now, and setting up the eventual Cody-Perry feud when Perry would turn face.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
that could be interesting but I have a hard time picturing Perry as anything but a face. OTH getting him away from Stunt would be wonderful.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Doesn’t Sean Spears have the same manager as FTR? Does that mean he’s in?

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I think what you look at if you're AEW is the 876 vs. what AEW did for their Anniversary show on 10/14. I believe that was 826K. I think that comparison should give AEW an idea of how their booking has been the past few months. They need to tighten some stuff up. And not everyone should have control over their character (looking at you Rusev).

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
"We'll hear from" probably means a promo about how he isn't about singing and dancing and about ass kicking and when all this is over he's going to come back better than ever and as soon as he does he'll win the world title so Mox watch out.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
AEW is reportedly having trouble selling the 950 tickets they put on sale for Full Gear. There are probably multiple reasons for it. But, I think it's another little sign of the issues with the booking the last few months.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I can see the election argument. But, they sold out All Out within minutes of the tickets being put up, and that was also during the pandemic. I think if you had hot feuds culminating in a ppv you still would've sold out quickly.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The entire national climate is different than it was a month or two ago. The absolute last thing people should have on their minds is going to see a wrestling show. Frankly I would expect them to bump the show anyway. Booking is a nonfactor this time.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm amazed they scheduled a show for weekend after Presidential election in first place. And it's not like its even one of their flagship PPVs (inasmuch as AEW has flagship PPVs). I'd be more surprised if it sold out right away.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It could be both but I think even if the product was really good, it still might not sell out in current environment. If the most divisive election of our lifetime isn't happening week before, it might still sell out even with a middling product.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I'm listening to WOR from Saturday. It didn't sell out, but there were only 60 tickets left. Yes, it didn't sell out right away, but it's not like there are over half the tickets still not sold.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
They've been running the same market constantly for months in a pandemic, this has nothing to do with election fears.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don’t think there is anywhere in America with a population over 1,000 that isn’t concerned about what the hell is going to happen after this election.

But you also brought up another good reason why no one is going...they have ran once a week for past 2 or 3 months. Hard to draw non stop sellouts unless you got white hot shows.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I could see that argument for regular shows. But, I think if they had good booking they could sell 950 seats for a ppv quickly. We aren't talking about 10K or something here.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'd like to think even the dopiest of the dopey AEW fans recognize this is a shitty time to do anything. Show shouldn't have been booked when it is anyhow. I can't fault them as much for running the same area given the circumstances, though. Booking has always been the worst thing they do so again I can't blame it given the world.

Staff member
Reaction score
They've been running the same market constantly for months in a pandemic, this has nothing to do with election fears.

Yep. I mean of course they aren't going to be able to sell tickets for as long as they've been selling them. There's only so much live wrestling people can handle. It's not like sports where if you have season tickets you get to see every player, and really hardly anyone has a vested interested in wrestling like they do sports at this point.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
First AEW show I have watched in about 5 weeks because I am on the fence on this PPV coming up.

AEW does a tremendous job on their PPV hype packages. I think part of it is because they only have 4 per year instead of 16 like WWE does, but it goes a long way to make someone on the fence like me to order it.

I liked the Mox-Kingston segment and I do think Kingston has been one of their three non WWE signings, but I have a hard time buying him as a #1 contender and headline the PPV as a challenger. That said it sounded like (I didn't order the PPV), that Mox-Lee was a great match and that build up wasn't as good as this one.

I'll probably get the PPV because I'm on Quarantine so what the hell else am I going to do, but I also feel like a lot of these matches we have seen some version of before.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I bet Kamala was as excited about the Cinderella video as I was, though I must say the song was poorly edited. I could have done a better job in Audacity.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I feel like Mox-Kingston being the World Title match means FTR and the Bucks get the main event. But I also could see them not going last so they don’t have to cut time and can make the match as long as they want.

I’m looking forward to Kenny-Hangman but it has seemed obvious since before Mox got the title that Kenny will dethrone him and then the logical story is Hangman beating Kenny. Not complaining that there is logical storytelling but it does feel slightly less suspenseful.

My main hope is Shida retains because I don’t think we need a Nyla Rose reign. Not now. I really think the only move for now in the Women’s division is getting the title onto Britt Baker but since she already feuded with Swole, I really don’t even know who would challenge Britt, outside Thunder Rosa or Allison Kay signing. But Kay is better as a heel when I’ve seen her, so even that doesn’t seem to match.