Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW Year 2, Thread One

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
He's got so much use it isn't funny. There's nothing I want to see him really do as a worker, at least in the US. Freakshow stuff, maybe, depending on what. He could be to the young AEW crew what Dusty was to the young NXT crew though, in my opinion.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Didn't watch because I was watching NBA games tonight, so I'm only going on my thoughts from earlier in the day.

I think he can be helpful to AEW and not be that big of a deal as well. Hopefully he does help the bigs in how to construct a match and he may be able to help as a commentator, but I think a lot of what his appeal outside of wrestling in the last ten years is "WWE's The Big Show".

Ultimately a really big signing for AEW that will raise the water towards WWE is a guy that is active and would raise AEW's profile while hurting the WWE, and I feel like the WWE would just freeze out guys that haven't renewed their contracts from here on out.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Was Darby Allin's entrance from the rafters the first time anyone's attempted that type of entrance since Owen?

EDIT - I guess Booker T (as GI Bro) made a similar entrance in 2000.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like Sting rappelled from the rafters a few times in '00 during the Vampiro storyline (though I think he did stop for 6 months or so out of respect)

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I was overly excited about the El Gigante trading card. The sneakers are just the cherry on top. Would love to get those except they’d probably have an insane price tag, if available.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was about to say that I would definitely be interested in doing this after getting vaccinated, but if I am paying $25+ for admission and snacks, I’d probably rather just get the show at my house and split it with a friend or two.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Unless they are going to run some type of angle for something to happen later in the show that seems like a puzzling decision. Seems like you would want to build up to it to try and get the highest rating possible.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Unless they are going to run some type of angle for something to happen later in the show that seems like a puzzling decision. Seems like you would want to build up to it to try and get the highest rating possible.

The ratings for when Shaq is on the show, or anything to do with the match, has been very good. Their idea, which is smart, is to hook people from the start, and even if there is a slight drop, that the numbers will still be higher throughout the rest of the show. Both AEW and NXT start high and then go down throughout the show, so if they bring them in higher, at a drop they hope the have a higher number by the end than usual.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I’m guessing they want to try to entice the audience to stay and not skip it by not changing the channel in time, for those who still watch live TV.

I know some casuals and non-fans who would probably watch Shaq if it’s at the start of the show and then tune out as soon as it ended. We will see if there‘s an angle like RAW did for Lashley-Miz the other night or if there is some other rationale.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Given how little Shaq is promoting it, I get impression that he's not putting a ton of time into training and I wonder if they're putting it on early to kind of get it out of the way instead of making everyone sit through the whole show for a certified stinker.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe he'll do the first match first and then do something with Big Show later in the show?

And I hope Tully Blanchard doesn't get hurt.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Jericho just wants to be able to do shows with his shitty band. Disco is a gimmick. Madusa...no clue.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
This is shocking. I would’ve sworn Madusa would’ve been surrounded by super liberal people in the monster truck circuit.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is shocking. I would’ve sworn Madusa would’ve been surrounded by super liberal people in the monster truck circuit.
Somewhere in California Steve Austin is shaking his head in disappointment in Medusa.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I had to stop following her (and Missy Hyatt) in 2016 for the MAGA shit. Total letdown on both counts.