Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW Year 2, Thread One

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I heard some people speculating that the huge, huge signing was Paul Wight signing on to be a wrestler on top of his announcing.

That would be the ultimate troll job. I can't believe AEW would be that stupid though. That is the wrong kind of heat.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I heard some people speculating that the huge, huge signing was Paul Wight signing on to be a wrestler on top of his announcing.

That would be the ultimate troll job. I can't believe AEW would be that stupid though. That is the wrong kind of heat.

The press release already mentions him wrestling, so it I'd say it wouldn't be that.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Only one man that NO MORE BS considers a worthy equal to him and that’s

ITS GOTTA BE ITS GOTTA BE ITS GOTTA BE GLENN JACOBS! HERE IN THE AEW ZONE!

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean not that it's anywhere near first time it's happened but last time Brock was at WWE event, he allegedly was flipping the fuck out at Vince. More than anyone in wrestling, at least since Shawn Michaels & Bret Hart, I think Brock Lesnar totally operates on spite. I don't see him as a WWE loyalist at all. Money's important but I think doing what the fuck he wants is even more important and I think AEW might be appealing to him in that sense?

I think there's a lot of truth to this. Yes, money is important to Lesnar but it's not the only thing.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Is Angle really a "huge, huge star" in 2021 though? Don't get me wrong. He's one of the best North American wrestlers of the past 20 years but his last WWE run proved he is absolutely cooked. Like he's not even on level of Big Show where I could see him having a couple matches of year. And unlike Big Show, it's not like he has an awesome screen presence that translates into being a compelling non wrestling character on the show. (cue @Baby Shoes passionately defending Kurt Angle's Professor X GM Run on 2004 Smackdown!)
Many times lately, it’s like you don’t even know who I am...

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think in that case, @Baby Shoes , I was projecting. I break into uncontrollable fits of laughter anytime I think of Angle crying and yelling about how getting chokeslammed by The Big Show made him impotent.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
GFA-07.png

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Honestly, mid '00s Angle might be my favorite Angle. Peak is when he talked about wanting to make tap Jesus out at (IIRC) New Year's Revolution '06.

Staff member
Reaction score
It should be someone from NJPW who jobbed out of the New Japan Cup. Considering they have a deal with NJPW I would not even be remotely surprised if someone like Naito showed up.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Naito is kind of in a transitional period too in NJPW with no feuds on the horizon (although we never got a resolution to his beef with HONMA!) so that'd make sense to me too.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Thinking even more outside the box (I've heard the NJPW idea float around), I'd mark out hard if it was Chris Hero or Mike Bailey since his US ban is about to be over, or just lifted.

The one thing is for certain, these surprises have wrestling fans talking and interested, and that's a good thing.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Thinking even more outside the box (I've heard the NJPW idea float around), I'd mark out hard if it was Chris Hero or Mike Bailey since his US ban is about to be over, or just lifted.

The one thing is for certain, these surprises have wrestling fans talking and interested, and that's a good thing.
While those names would be good to see, I think they would be largely seen as disappointing for the hype.

It‘s gotta be a legend like Angle or someone on loan from somewhere else with main event credibility. Hero and Bailey are really good talents that could main event but this is being hyped like it is a surefire, undisputed World Title contender. There isn’t anyone on the market that fits that mold, as even CM Punk falls more in the legend category since he’s been gone for over seven years now.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like even independent wrestling stans like myself have mostly forgotten Mike Bailey. Poor guy got banned from the USA just as the indy boom of the last decade was heating up.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
The Mike Bailey one is more of a pipe dream, but would be a good 6th for the ladder match since his ban is either over or just about over.

Hero would be awesome, and I totally get that to outside fans that might be stretch. Just trying to come up with other names that could help them.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea who Mike Bailey is. Love Chris Hero, but I'm with Kamala on that one, too.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
My hopeful-but-realistic guess is Naito. Maybe Okada.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eddie Kingston hates Chris Hero's guts (no fatshaming please) so I'm guessing that's why he hasn't shown up in AEW because if you have to choose between them, Eddie's the obvious choice in 2021 IMO.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eddie's the obvious choice there too. I mean Chris Hero can be funny but Eddie Kingston is legitimately funny not just funny by wrestling standards.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been trying to avoid 49th Anniversary Show results all day since I'm going to watch the show tomorrow and then I get spoilers in the AEW thread. Sometimes I wish that Forbidden Door REMAINED SHUT.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I've been trying to avoid 49th Anniversary Show results all day since I'm going to watch the show tomorrow and then I get spoilers in the AEW thread. Sometimes I wish that Forbidden Door REMAINED SHUT.

All I said was could. If he wins, he moves on, loses he could show up. I haven't seen the show either and don't know the results. Okada has a match on Saturday, while Naito's was today.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, I had been avoiding this thread until I could watch this week’s show, only to see you tagged me so I looked and got spoilers because you wanted to associate me with 2004 non-wrestling Kurt Angle