Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Album Recommendations

Cheech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So I've been working out of home a lot more lately. The upside to this is I can spend the day listening to music. The downside is that I am getting really bored of my music selection.

Got any albums that you want to recommend? Doesn't have to be anything obscure or weird either. Just recommend something you really like.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I recommended like five or six albums in my jazz thread. If you're unwilling to check those out, here's some other stuff you may or may not have heard before. These are albums I listen to a lot when I'm out running.

Andrew Bird - Noble Beast
My favorite album of 2009 if only because I've sorta given up on staying current with new releases. I'm at, like, three. It doesn't sound too different from Armchair Apocrypha, maybe a little more acoustic and organic, still full of whistling and lyrics that are sometimes clever and sometimes emptily wordy. Good mellow springtime album, I feel. Listen to it on good headphones at your local forest preserve or cross-country trails.

John Cale - Fear
Probably somewhere in my top twenty favorite albums, it's basically Cale plus Roxy Music minus Ferry plus Eno as producer, playing slightly askew '70s art-rock that I'm guessing was pretty big on freeform FM stations that nobody had really thought to listen to yet. Highlights: the freakout at the end of "Fear Is a Man's Best Friend," the fog of really pretty reverberating vibraphones throughout "Ship of Fools," Manzanera-via-Eno's treated guitar solo on "Gun," and all of "Bamboo Floor." I think you'll probably like this on the first pass, since it's not so dense or avant-garde as to be overtly challenging or offputting; it's more like something you listen to and enjoy and then sort of realize "hey, this guy's a little odd."

Camper Van Beethoven - Key Lime Pie
One of my ten favorites. I don't know what to really say about it other than it's perfectly sequenced and I love it. Let's cut to the chase: hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?ynmtd0pb7jm

Why? - Elephant Eyelash
I got Alopecia first and it was my favorite album of 2008, but I think I like this one even more. You might not take Yoni Wolf's voice immediately, but it grows on you. "Gemini" is obv the zenith of this album, with the first five tracks building up to it really well. Loses a step on "Waterfalls," but "Sand Dollars" has that cool 1+2+3E+A4+ rhythm in the beginning and the "these are selfish times, I've got selfish dimes" line that makes me smile in spite of it being showoffy and lame, and if you liked the first half you'll like the rest, or dislike/hate.

Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne
My favorite non-Wilco album in the Expanded Wilco Universe, it's a little more polished than No Depression (this is worth checking out too if you want more distortion) and pretty clearly paves the way for Being There and Trace. Best track here is "New Madrid," best run is the leadoff track up through "We've Been Had," because "Fifteen Keys" suffers from that weird Jay Farrar Syndrome that I seem to have where I just sorta tune him out when the music's not compelling enough. Lots of pedal steel and banjo and stuff like that, which I love.

Any new ground being covered there?

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Alopecia is a pretty good album, a little strange and a couple parts that make me cringe, but good. I haven't heard anything else by Why?, I'll have to check that one out.

It would help to know what your favorite music is Cheech, but going blind, this here's a couple favorites from recent years

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
The Black Keys - Attack & Release
The Good, The Bad & The Queen - (Self Titled)
Portishead - Third
Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson: Lecherous French dude sings/intones about having an affair with a teenage girl (voiced by Jane Birkin) over groovy orchestral funk-rock arrangements. It's a legit masterpiece and one of my favorite albums ever. It just got re-released in the states and so it can be purchased for fairly cheap ($11.99 @ Amazon).

Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin - Ballade De Melody Nelson

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Elvis Costello - Get Happy!!. Rocker does soul and instead of coming off as pandering, it's a triumph. 20 stellar tracks, fast-paced and lush, and perfect for 68-degree weather. I like the idea of listening to this and Melody Nelson back to back and getting two very different tastes on Europeans who can groove.

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
Pretty much anything by Nick Drake is a given. Pink Moon is my fave, though my second favorite tends to skip-sometimes it's Five Leaves Left, other times it's Bryter Layter.

Cheech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It would help to know what your favorite music is Cheech, but going blind, this here's a couple favorites from recent years

I was hoping that we'd use this thread to suggest albums for everybody, not just me. But since you asked, I have a fairly eclectic palette, but I spend most of the time listening to 70s rock.

chchchchchchczech it out said:
Any new ground being covered there?

Yes! Thanks.

Oh and for Gary Floyd, I love Nick Drake. Just started listening to him recently and my god, what great stuff.

Gary

Reaction score
Early, pre-doom Pentagram is some pretty great stuff if you love 70's hard rock at it's best.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've recommended it to you before on the old old board but I think you might dig The Beach Boys- Sunflower. It marks both the brief return of Brian Wilson to the fold and the emergence of Dennis Wilson as his near equal. I don't think The Beach Boys as a whole have been better than they were on this album.

Also this recommendation is timely since the remastered vinyl for this is being released in June along with the inferior but still worth listening to follow up Surf's Up.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Any progress on your assignments (so to speak), Cheech? (Or anyone else who checked stuff out from this thread? Which I hope you did?) Here are a few more of mine that I listened to outdoors yesterday and today.

The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree
This is my favorite outing of his/theirs, and retroactively my favorite album of 2005 (since I wasn't declaring such nonsense to myself till 2007). I'm atypical among Mountain Goats fans in that I love the later stuff and cannot fully appreciate the first chapter of John Darnielle's career, i.e. the stuff he recorded solo on a cheap boombox with a mic that picks up the grinding of the tape heads. While the songwriting is just as good (or better) on the old stuff, he never did his work justice till he finally supplemented himself with some solid-if-not-flashy instrumentalists and put them all in an actual recording studio. So anyway, what we have here is some nice crisp folk-rock from a guy with one of the great acquired-taste voices of our generation, with the arrangements generally consisting of guitars (mostly acoustic), piano and/or organ, bass, the occasional mandolin, sparse percussion, and a well-placed string ensemble here and there. The album's themes are basically redemption and revenge, dwelling on John's shitty childhood wherein his stepdad beat his ass. Amusingly literate lyrics with Biblical allusions, obscure Romanian pianist namedrops, extended Romulus & Remus metaphors, and so forth. The first five tracks are among the best in the Darnielle songbook; if you don't like these songs, abandon ship before Track 6 and save yourself the time, and don't even bother with anything else he did, for that matter. If you don't like unorthodox vocalists, you're quickly going to ask "what's this guy doing recording himself and selling it to people?", but he'll worm his way into your heart if you let him.

Why? - Alopecia
I decided to listen to this today as well, and on the heels of recommending Elephant Eyelash, hey why not. I can't put a finger on why, (SO TO SPEEEEAAAK), but Yoni Wolf and John Darnielle seem to have a lot in common as far as these niche songwriters go. Stylistically their music is pretty divergent (though both of them started as solo projects who evolved into bands, now that I think about it), and their respective life experiences heretofore are a little different, but they're both excellent lyricists who hit you with at least one really clever or powerful lyric on each song, some sharp little fragment to grab hold of and really keep with you. Somehow I find myself caring quite a bit about what each one has to say, and I wouldn't be surprised if I were to confirm that most people who care deeply about X also care deeply about Y (or Why?, as it were). Anyway, Why? seems to get hit with the "alternative hip-hop" label a lot, which is a little bit of an unfair and prohibting misnomer, as the melodies and harmonies here are just as compelling as anything we're calling "indie rock" these days. Is there some white-boy rapping? Sure, but it's more of a speaksing like Lou Reed or Frank Zappa than, say, Eminem, and a lot of these lyrics are full-out sung and backed with mostly standard rock band instrumentation with some drum machines or sequencers here and there. It's more a collection of idea fragments than one of fully-formed songs, with many of the tracks here diverging into unrelated interludes and codas, though nowhere near as scatterbrained as, say, your average Fiery Furnaces outing. Vis-a-vis Elephant Eyelash, it doesn't have that clear top-of-the-mountain moment like "Gemini" (specifically that third verse about masturbating to her legs) but "Fatalist Palmistry" and "These Few Presidents" are totally awesome, and as a complete body of work, this one might get the edge.

Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring
You could make a decent argument that Talk Talk and Radiohead follow the same career trajectory, at least until Talk Talk runs out of albums before Radiohead does:
1) both hit the scene with just-better-than-average entries into their respective then-popular genres (New Wave, grunge),
2) followed those up with solid improvements rooted in maturation and increased funds,
3) were able to make some kickass experimental rock albums while staying mostly within typical constructs,
4) went totally off the deep end and alienated everyone who had any faith or investment in them
5) further went off said deep end once more.
Now of course Radiohead is a bigger deal than Talk Talk, and if you were to put each of those up against each other in some intercatalogue match play, Radiohead probably takes it 4-1 (Laughing Stock d. Amnesiac rather handily in my post-rock world), but that's no slight on The Colour of Spring, a transitional album I rather like since it builds on everything I like about "It's My Life" (the one No Doubt covered, not the Bon Jovi one), while hinting toward the expanded arrangements and freeform weirdness that would come on Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. While those last two are positively timeless, there's still a little bit of '80s stink to this production, with a few instances of dated drum machines, drum reverb, and that sort of digital brightness that comes with a lot of contemporary releases where you can tell engineers hadn't really fine-tuned their new toys just yet. Minor annoyances, though, not enough to drag it down or anything, since they seem to do everything else so right. It's a really organic and live album in spite of all that. "Happiness Is Easy" is a great tone-setting opener, "Life's What You Make It" is begging to be sampled, and if "Living in Another World" doesn't excite you, I don't know what to tell you. Great outdoor music here, but if you can blast it on your home speakers on a warm sunny day, that's a good setting as well.

There. It felt good to go longform about some music I like as a bit of a respite from all the procedural crap and one of us apparently growing a dick in public down in Et Cetera. I hope King Kamala and others don't think I'm so much of an asshole now, or at least they can upgrade me to the good kind of asshole!

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Edwin said:
Elvis Costello - Get Happy!!.  Rocker does soul and instead of coming off as pandering, it's a triumph.  20 stellar tracks, fast-paced and lush, and perfect for 68-degree weather.  I like the idea of listening to this and Melody Nelson back to back and getting two very different tastes on Europeans who can groove.

Thanks for pointing this out to me, since I"ve picked it up I've been listening to it non stop.

Also, never heard of the guy before this, but after reading up on Serge I find him to be pretty fucking cool too.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hooray! I love it when a plan comes together.

Cheech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Czech, I haven't had a chance to check out the stuff you recommended. You sort of distracted me with the Zappa flow chart. I'll get to this stuff soon though; thanks for all you've done!

Kamala, I checked out the two Beach Boys' records you discussed. I'll try to comment on them later.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't like Get Happy!! very much. I think the first two Elvis Costello albums are his best. It's weird: I generally think reggae is horseshit, but "Watching the Detectives" is one of my two or three favorite songs by him. I like the Police too. I think it's the difference between sprinkling cinnamon on your toast and eating a bowl of cinnamon.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Do people really, genuinely like Serge Gainsbourg? As in listening to him? I've never been able to shake the feeling that people are more in love with his persona than his actual work. It's not that the music is bad; he has a handful of songs I like, but most of it is so MOR and boring, in spite of the provocative lyrical content.

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score
I like Bonnie and Clyde (both the song and the album) quite a bit. I think that one is considerably more accessible than Historie de Melody Nelson and probably a better starting point for people just getting into his music. I don't really see it as being MOR or boring. It's just good pop music.

Get Happy!! is my favorite Costello album, too. There's just something about it that really tickles me the right way. I've never liked This Year's Model all that much, for whatever reason. Most critics regard it as being his best, but I think that has more to do with those critics being in love with his "angry young man" persona from that period than the actual music on that album. He did that style better on Armed Forces. Trust is probably my second favorite of his.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Trust is the most underrated of his albums from his classic run. Lots of wonderful songs.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I only learned about Serge's persona after I listened to the album, so it didn't have a lot to do with my opinion at first.

I agree with Kinetic that Histoire.. is just a solid pop album with great little bits of groovy 70s funk here and there. His voice fits perfectly with the way the songs just creep along. The string section and piano is used pretty well too, always coming in at the right time and never being overdone.

What's MOR? And for that matter what's AOR?

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lisa Hannigan- Sea Sew

If anybody has ever listened to Damien Rice she was featured on quite a large amount of songs and (at least in my opinion) she overshadowed Rice on most of them. This album, arrangement-wise shares some similarities but there's a bit of a jazzier take on some things. Hannigan has some very nice soul behind her vocals. Great album.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hey, here's a good old thread. I spent the last week in a Dickensian debtor's prison (though it was voluntary and so I was free to leave whenever I liked), so I'm gonna get back into the swing of messageboarding by talking about albums I like that you should like too!

Nellie McKay - Get Away From Me
Faithful boarders will recognize that I've been trying to sell this one for years, largely to no avail. But what can I expect? It's a hostile audience: the really faithful boarders will recognize that "Nellie" was either the name or pseudonym of the Ballston girl, and we alllll know that :(TSM Hates Women:(. When you build the connotation of waxy vaginal discharge upon a sturdy foundation of (largely fictitious) misogyny, why, it's certain that nobody will take a flier on that. Or it could just be that we're not particularly amenable to cutesy lounge-pop with profanity sprinkled in. In spite of all that, you should still give it a try if you haven't yet, because she's too damn musical and clever not to appreciate. She plays most of the instruments on the album, to the best of my knowledge, which is all the more impressive considering she's written stuff lightyears ahead of tired-ass I-IV-V power chord progressions. Stylistically, she jumps from one broadstroke genre pastiche to another in between more traditional jazzy offerings, while maintaining enough of the same songwriting sensibilities to cohere an overambitious attempt at rapping on "Sari" to synthpop on "Waiter" to smoky cocktail lounge fare on "Manhattan Avenue." The one blemish on this, the best of her three albums (advance to Pretty Little Head and the qualitatively superb but quantitatively disappointing Obligatory Villagers if you like), is "It's a Pose," which is just about how white men suck, and I do enough self-loathing about my lot in life without some GRRRL piling on. Skip it and you're still left with 57.45 of seventeen inspired tunes, more than most albums will give you. Fun fact: noted TSMer Al Keiper went to middle school with her.

The Thinking Fellers Union Local #282 - Strangers from the Universe
I discovered the Fellers, as surely dozens have, by noticing the longest wackiest band name on the list of back catalogues on Mark Prindle's site and diving in based on his rave reviews. Not the only nomenclatural standout I discovered through Prindle: this was also my entry into the world of Neil Hamburger, though I never could procure anything from "Just Farr a Laugh!", and I never got past reading the reviews for BUTThole Surfers side project "Fearless Iranians From Hell." The Prindle thread in Etc prompted me to revisit the Fellers, who had been lying dormant in my music collection for some time. But when I opened the folder, F:\An ocean of noise\Thinking Fellers Union Local #282 - 1994 - Strangers from the Universe, I noticed something that I hadn't noticed before: somehow the scans of the liner notes had made their way into the folder! I could read the lyrics as I listened now! Of course, I could've just looked them up somewhere and found them, but you're always working at about 95% accuracy when you do that, and the thought never occurred to me anyway, preferring to let the words wash over me largely undeciphered. But it turns out this was a stupid approach to the album! Taking in the lyrics makes this album kick even more ass! Getting the full lyrics to "Socket" really brings out the flavor, so to speak, the flavor in this case being the inability to sense things after being severely electrocuted. Goes well with "Operation," which is not about a hospital, but ostensibly about being stabbed--if not severely disfigured and dismembered--on a city street and left for dead while people loot the narrator's apartment. I pick up a lot more restlessness and anxiety from "February" when I can tell he's saying "everything's the same, it's just more of the same" at the beginning. There's nothing deeper to get from "My Pal, the Tortoise," though. It's just a tortoise who files a proclamation of tortoise intent! The interludes of practice-space noodling just are what they are, whatevz, you get Feller Filler on every release. There are several Fellers albums out there, and Prindle pretty much likes 'em all (Mother of All Saints being his fave, IIRC), but this is far and away the most accessible, even when you go years before fully understanding all the lyrics.

Grant Green - Idle Moments
Here's a brain-meltingly cool guitar-centered jazz album, also featuring tenor saxophone "middleweight champion" Joe Henderson and vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson (personal favorite of mine). If you're an atonality acolyte who scoffs at softer (though not smooth god no) jazz offerings fit for audio wallpaper at dinner parties, or believe that electric guitar can only exist with overdriven amplifiers, I can't believe you'd like this at all, but just let down your defenses and relaaaax in a big soft chair with a nice cup of tea and take it in. Given the musicians on this date, the playing is top-notch, with Hutcherson's vibes stealing the show at times. The 15-minute title track will blow right by in what feels like a small fraction of the time. One of the things that I take note of is how well they play at pianissimo, especially the tenor, which can be worlds harder on a wind instrument than playing balls-out ffffff or whatever. Trust me. The restraint and balance that the guitar/vibes/tenor demonstrate on the head is the sort of thing that makes you almost involuntarily give out that quiet little aspirated "nice" in appreciation. Green's guitar chops are so good that even ardent rock/metal fans should be able to enjoy what he does on his solos, not just on the title track I've been blabbering about but on the other three charts as well. If the first tune puts you to sleep against your will, fear not; the other 28 minutes aren't nearly as soporific. Nonetheless, the name of the game remains discretion throughout the album, never getting too loud, too ambitious, or too meandering.

I hope at least one person likes at least one of these three and justifies this post. I know Black Lushus won't, because he complains about me at a board where I'm not registered and says that he'll avoid anything I endorse just because I'm me. As far as discovering new music goes, this is probably a sound policy (pun intended) because I suck at liking things, but geez, just say it to my face or something.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
You got me to listen to Nellie McKay, and she's pretty awesome. I listened to it a lot around the holidays.

For that matter you also turned me onto Camper Van Beethoven.

pbone

Something tells me that you want to go home.
Reaction score
Neill Finn - Try Whistling This

Finn appears to be the average singer/songwriter, but TWT is anything but average. The album espouses a general tone, sure, mostly because of Finn's inflection remains pretty constant the whole way out. Nevertheless, TWT dips its toes into rock (of course), as well as some funk and jazz, but manages to steer very clear from the awful parts of the two genres that so many songwriters adopt for who knows why. There's not a lot of bullshit on the album, just a whole lot of good tunes. "Sinner," taking its spot in the middle of the album, is the single and probably the best song released in 1998. It also marks the change in the direction from smile-inducing rock to white-people-bump-n-grind songs. The rest of the album, with one or two exceptions, is pretty fucking sexy. I'll leave it at that.

Gary

Reaction score
Manuel Göttsching-E2-E4

Some great 80's electronic music that essentially became a blueprint for much of what would follow. Even today it sounds modern.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Both Acid Bath full lengths, When The Kite String Pops and Paegan Terrorism Tactics. They're so depressingly beautiful, and both (but especially Kite String) have enough non-heavy stuff to keep you hooked. Dax Riggs has maybe my favorite voice in all of heavy music.

The Misfits, Collection I and Collection II. I'm choosing those because they cover almost all of the Danzig-era, outside of a few select songs, but everything you've ever heard by them is likely covered in those two discs. An incredibly influential band whose glory years were all too brief, and indirectly lead to the extreme metal underground as they were a huge influence in the early days of thrash metal.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So that this thread can be a two-way street:

Neil Finn - Try Whistling This
This is pretty cool. It's that sort of oblique pop that sorta has Infectious Hooks but is a little too challenging for that sort of thing, and so you need to listen to it over and over to fully appreciate it. In this regard, it's kind of like a late '90s version of Jules Shear's stuff from the '80s. You have any Jules Shear, pbone? Anyway, I'm on my third time through and it's really starting to click. I especially like the trip-hop dalliances like "King Tide" and "Sinner." "Faster Than Light" reminds me a little of some of the darker passages on Skylarking. I'm glad I picked this one up. Thanks!

Manuel Göttsching - E2-E4
I was really bobbing my head along to this and enjoying it till I got about 20 minutes and realized holy fuck that beat is never.going.to.end. It's a good beat, don't get me wrong, but even I have my limits when it comes to droning kraut. On the money when you said it could've been made yesterday. This sounds a lot like The Field. Mixed reviews on the guitar stuff on the second half of the album: I can't deny that the musicianship is there, but the combination of rambling light electric guitar over sequencers makes it sound like the background music from those old teletext services that UHF channels would carry overnight in the '80s, the ones that would give you box scores and weather reports. (Probably with music by Weather Report.) I'm going to give the second half further consideration and see if it grows on me. I sound negative, but I'm better off with it than without it. I'll pass on the recommendation to fellow electronic fans, but you better be patient.

I'm not listening to "Acid Bath."

Phil Upchurch - The Way I Feel
What do Christians do on Sundays? Phil Upchurch! Ain'tthatfunnyhahaha. Soulful solo outing from a much-in-demand session guitarist of the '60s. As opposed to the minimalism on the Grant Green I rec'd last time out, this one is packed with good old-fashioned Studio Muscle: big choirs, string sections, brass backing, reverb drenching everything. Sometimes you need that, y'know? I'm not enough of a guitar whiz to tell you precisely what it is Upchurch does well, but it's plain as day that he's a solid pro, and as the principal composer/arranger as well, seemed to approach this with more craftsmanship than just "pouring his heart out" or whatever. Though most of these are originals, my favorites among those being "I Don't Know" with its punchy brass, and "Wild Wood" with its cool Motown shooby-doos and sha-la-las, the real standout here is a cover of a Quincy Jones tune called "Time For Love (Is Any Time)," with one of the best guitar tones I've ever heard. Two charts are Gordon Lightfoot covers and don't fucking suck! This one was a jazz blog gem, so if you want to go for it, here it is: http://myjazzworld.blogspot.com/2008/06/phil-upchurch-way-i-feel.html

luke-o

www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
Reaction score
Screaming Mechanical Brain - Process of Assimilation

For fans of Strapping Young Lad and Mr Bungle. Really good debut full length album. Highlights include ZYQ9, The End...Tis Rising in Squares, Gloryhole and Smash TV. The follow up album There Is No God in Space is also good.

www.myspace.com/smb - you can download all of their albums (for free - they're not signed) from a link on their myspace blog.

Highly recommended.