Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Alien: Romulus

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score

Looks interesting. Will it be good? I dunno, but the trailer is promising and it’s “Alien”, so hey.

Last edited:

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I'm hesitant. I haven't thought highly of Evil Dead 2013 (Rise was loads better) or Don't Breathe, but I appreciate the hell out of Alvarez's affinity for gruesomeness.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I listened to a few Fete interviews after this trailer came out and I think he's the right man for this as it sounds like he wants the franchise to return more towards those feels of Alien and Aliens, more of a horror vibe too. Plus he mentioned that for the hardcore Alien franchise fans, you will really have a ball with this one as it's more self-referential to not just Alien and Aliens (this is taking place between those two films in the timeline) but to EVERY Alien film, yes even including the last few.

All I know is this trailer hit hard and fast, and makes me desperately want to see more. Job well done so far.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
7/10

Solid stuff overall and the first half was really tense, fantastic atmosphere reminiscent of the 1st and 2nd movies. A decision regarding the end didn't really hit home with me and I felt like it pulled the rest of the movie down with it. The characters were mostly solid with lead Cailee Spaeny being good and David Jonsson as Andy stealing the movie for me. The inclusion of
Ash
had some scenes that looked great and some that were very... uncanny valley/almost AI generated looking in a bad way.

The creature effects/set design were top notch though.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I really hated this movie. Not necessarily because it was bad (it was), but because it's a definitive statement that the Alien movies are no longer this weird set of stories, sometimes good, often not great, where creators with vision play around and explore ideas. Just a great example of the current state of the movie industry as it continues to consolidate. It's Disney's intellectual property now.

I could have handled the CW level casting and acting. I could have handled it having no interesting new ideas. But the soul of this movie is rotten and it's really depressed me. Just slop that thinks we're all children who are going to jump up and down for every new reference to something we used to love.

Also, I found the
Ian Holm
stuff absolutely nauseating and I wouldn't have paid money to watch this movie had I known going in that would be a thing.