Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

All Out 2024: Burning Down The House

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All_Out_%282024%29_promotional_poster.jpg

A lot of really great looking matches on this card and I'm super excited for the cage match.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Impressed by the quality of this card just two weeks after All In. Looking forward to watching this one tonight.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Still bothered by the overabundance of multiple person matches but the lack of Jericho absolutely helps.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i think its a lot less multi person matches than any ppv (not counting hhh 5 card shows) tbh. There's a tag title match and a 4 way match and 6 singles matches. All the garbage "get guys on the show" multis are on the preshow that most people won't watch.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
garcia vs mjf was really good. I've been very critical of Garcia at times but he showed a lot of fire here and won me over.

Will/PAC was everything you'd expect from these two and MORE. Just utterly insane and a crazy finishing sequence.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
willow vs stat was shockingly fun as I'm not the biggest fan of either.

Bryan Vs Jack was great. Some fantastic bumps by Jack off the Knee and Bryan is always the man.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That goes down as the most grim, violent show AEW has ever put on.

- Daniel Garcia loses, but tries to break MJF’s neck post-match with a piledriver off the second rope. Announcers wonder if he has gone too far.

- Willow and Statlander bloody each other with every weapon they can find. Willow, the lovable babyface, loses by getting choked out with a chain.

- Danielson wins, but then gets betrayed by his stable mates, who then try to suffocate him with a plastic bag.

- Swerve and Hangman nearly kill each other with a cinder block in an unsanctioned cage matxh. Hangman wins by sticking a syringe in Swerve’s mouth and then knocking him out with a titantic chair shot.

That is…a lot…for one night.

Staff member
Reaction score
The thing I would say about the main event and opener anyway, is that MJF and Swerve both got some of what they deserved. I would also say there was demonstrably less blood than I was expecting tonight.

But to me, this is more what pro wrestling is about than what they were doing last year. Jokes and memes shit only gets so far with me. Hatred and appealing to base human instincts goes so much further. If I'm sitting here yelling at my screen to please stab someone cause of what they've done, then we've finally hit nirvana

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It was extremely violent I agree. But I think it worked.

Danielson I don't remember really ever talking about Moxley while he was gone for months, so that's just a shitty friend!

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The pearl clutching for this show is hilarious. Maybe Hangman crippled his ass nWo style or if Mox used mustard and ketchup, everyone would be on the same page.

Probably my favorite AEW show, tbh. Surpassed my expectations and it felt like everything still has places to go. Only thing I wish they'd done differently is the tag title match, considering how the booking ended up.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I should probably clarify that me calling All Out grim and violent wasn't a complaint, just an observation.

Although I do think there is a argument to be made that watching someone nearly having their back broken by getting slammed on a cinder block loses a little something when it happens 20 minutes after another guy is smothered with a plastic bag and an hour after someone else has fluorescent light tubes shattered over their head, etc.

Staff member
Reaction score
I should probably clarify that me calling All Out grim and violent wasn't a complaint, just an observation.

Although I do think there is a argument to be made that watching someone nearly having their back broken by getting slammed on a cinder block loses a little something when it happens 20 minutes after another guy is smothered with a plastic bag and an hour after someone else has fluorescent light tubes shattered over their head, etc.
I think that's just an inherent issue with doing a big blowoff show, that being said, it was like the early Starrcades where they blew every feud off all at once. Starrcade 85 in particular is just violence on top of more violence and it never stops and it still holds up as being an awesome show.

They aren't going to beat the allegations of the company being 'ECW with a bigger budget' but you know, I'm alright with that. I really hated what American wrestling turned into between 2008-2018 and I'm glad they decided to pick the right direction going forward. They probably aren't going to bring in new fans, but the things they would have to do in order to bring in those fans would probably kill the company.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Yeah, the successes were an HD version of golden age NWA. Hangman/Swerve is as close to an evolution of Magnum/Tully as you can get, and if a complaint can be made it should be that this feud still feels like there's a TON left in it despite there being practically no way they can keep upping the violence. Both guys need a year away from each other in any meaningful way but the feud is not going to end until one of them can't walk, and wrestling hasn't had that --at least on a national scale-- in at least 25 years. It's the exact thing so many have pined for.

The Mox stuff is really funny because the argument feels so much like "it was fine when Terry Funk did it but now it's UNACCEPTABLE," and the segment could not have been more effective. If you watched that, and your takeaway was fake outrage and worrying about the business side of the company or how sponsors react and it isn't "I want Bryan to kill all these motherfuckers," you don't understand wrestling. This one is really interesting because I didn't ever expect to see the divide from people who are wrestling fans vs people who are fans of being smart fans ever presented as clear. If you don't want to see how this works out and want Bryan to murder Mox now, you deserve the PG shit that you complained about for the last fifteen years.

Statlander/Willow is two people who were in a feud that was kinda death for months deciding to put on a great hate-filled brawl. They reminded people that they are good enough, and in Statlander's case showed they are capable of putting on a great match when called for after a loooong period of struggling (and I like Statlander). The women, especially the women of AEW, spent so long not getting their flowers that when they do it gets nitpicked because of match content. They overshadowed the fucking high-priced signing they had who certainly did not look like they could hang with Shida.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I think complaining about the big chair shot even if it was heavily gimmicked is valid to an extent since I look back at old WWE shows and seeing guys get popped on the noggin only to have CTE symptoms later on. Having said that, I don't think it warrants the Helen Lovejoy outcry I've been seeing online.

Everything else? The syringe in the mouth is honestly pretty tame and the Suffocation thing was paying homage to Terry Funk doing the same to Ric Flair 30cor so years ago. Neither deserve such outrage. You wanted an alternative wrestling product? You've got it.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Call me a sentimentalist but syringes are lame and cartoon as GOD DAMN FUCK.

Give me a fucking ether soaked rag. If you can’t sell an ether job then leave the fucking business.