Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Atlanta

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Season 2 just started last week. I figured we had a thread but guess I was wrong. Season 1 feels so long ago now though as they took a little more than a year off.

Solid start to Season 2, though I didn't catch until seeing online later that one of the cops was NXT's own Percy Watson

A-54CmwVqvnjUXa_k_fe5Uf1CgPnnpda3j_jt53wM68.png

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Really like this show. Going for Broke is probably my favorite one from the first season. It was either that or the one at the club. I enjoyed the premiere and it was probably the only time I ever tolerated Katt Williams. Damned if I didn't notice Percy Watson!

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I think last season felt so long ago because I was really getting into it when the hiatus started, then basically a year and a half between Season 1 end and Seaosn 2 beginning. I agree the club one was one of the standouts from last year.

I also thought Katt was sneaky good in that episode. Hoping he has moving on from getting knocked out by children.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
"Why does he have a cape on?"
"He was a magician how was I supposed to know?!"

Great episode. I laughed throughout most of it.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Enjoyed this week's episode but I was watching this before bed figuring I'd get a few laughs and not ready for how dark the Teddy/Benny stuff got when it got to where it was going. Pretty opposite of last week's Paper Boi episode.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
This week's episode was weird. I didn't care for it. I liked last week's much better with Paper Boi.

I find it interesting how Earn didn't appear in last week's at all and only appeared briefly this week's. It fleshes out all the characters more.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
pujoljunkie said:
I LOVED this week's episode. It might be my favorite of all time. The little cutaway to the drive thru was hilarious.

Exactly. Those Sammy Sosa reactions were too real.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Late to the party but Season 3 and Season 4 are on their way so I guess it's good as time as ever. About two thirds of the way through Season 2. Damn. Hell of a show. It almost feels like an anthology series with each episode being its own mini movie. Teddy/Benny episode was awesome.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Season 3 so far? I'm curious if two episodes related to the characters of the show followed by one episode outside of the show's universe is the pattern that it's going to take for the rest of the season. I've liked every episode but I just find myself wanting to spend more time with regular characters. It makes me kind of wish Donald Glover would've just done a second anthology show!

Also having Doug from The Hangover play the white dude that's having his life ruined by reparations is fantastic casting. It's hard to think of a more generic white guy than the guy who played Doug in The Hangover.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That dude is also the white guy in the boat in the beginning of the season. That scene was a dream of Earn's, so I'm wondering if we are supposed to think the last episode was also a dream of Earn's? He says his name is Earn/Ern, is he supposed to represent himself in his dreams? Considering he dies in both episodes, the latter by suicide, I'm wondering what kind of head space Earn is in this season.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm also curious to figure out why the hell Van went to Europe to hang out with the lads (and why she's shoving people into pools for no damn reason).

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
She said she was taking some time for herself, so why not bum around Europe with some friends of your's, esp friends who have access to some touring-music-act-money who could cover some/all of your expenses?

Van was telling Earn he needed to live "more in the moment", I figured that was her way of following up by saying "see, like that!"

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It seems weird that Earn would invite his ex to bum around Europe with his crew but I guess we're less than halfway through the season so I'm sure we'll get some explanation as to why she was invited to tag along.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
40% of this season being sidebar episodes (at least...I'd have to assume the season finale is going to be related to the principal characters) is something else. Not that there haven't been good episodes but I think this show might be jumping the shark. All of Donald Glover's comments about the only show being comparable to his in terms of its greatness being The Sopranos indicates he is really overthinking and overestimating his abilities.

Also Chet Hanks and Kevin Samuels guest appearances in a few episodes span!? I'm kind of surprised Rachel Dolezal didn't make a guest appearance this season.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
All four principal characters hit it big following the last season so I can understand how difficult it was finding time in their schedules where all of them are around at the same time. Half this season being anthology episodes entries isn't ideal but I've enjoyed every episode sans the one about the black nanny dying.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I liked the black nanny better one better than this past week's. This last episode just felt like it was essentially making the same point as the reparations episode but in a less interesting way.

At least the two episodes everybody liked the least were the ones featuring weird problematic guest stars. At least, Chet Hanks was willing to poke fun at himself though. I'm not gonna complain about the Kevin Samuels guest appearance too much though I guess since he just died.

Last edited:

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
It was disappointing that there were more episode without the principal cast than with for sure but I mostly enjoyed the season. The finale was kind of weird but I actually appreciate the contrast in tone and presentation that this show offers.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, this season didn't really work for me either. A few really good episodes, understand why they needed to branch out but definitely weakest of the seasons. It's like they tried to say too much and ended up not really saying much at all. It's almost as if they were trying to convince everyone that Donald Glover should have done the new Twilight Zone instead of Jordan Peele.

I also didn't like the underlying "Cancel culture is wrong." theme of this season. Yeesh. I guess you can't escape it with modern comedy.

I still have enough faith in Donald Glover that I'm willing to accept that this might just be an interlude and the show will really stick the landing with its final season.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also didn't like the underlying "Cancel culture is wrong." theme of this season.
Gonna need some examples because I can't think of anything off the top of my head to back this up.

I wonder how much of Covid restrictions and the burgeoning movie careers of the main cast had to do with the lack of episodes based around them.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Gonna need some examples because I can't think of anything off the top of my head to back this up.

Alexander Skarsgard's subplot in the season finale. The Liam Neeson cameo (that script really must've been written in 2019 then revised hastily to remind everyone about Liam Neeson's pre pandemic scandal).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He doesn't have any dirt IRL afaik. Just his character being a skeev degenerate and then whining about how he is going to get fired from the Baby Shark movie.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

Going out with a bang it looks like. Seems like we're getting more episodes with the principle cast. Katt Williams is back!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Final season really snuck up on me. My girlfriend mentioned new episodes and I was like "Nah. Not yet" but no, it premiered two weeks ago. D'oh. Will report back to the thread with my thoughts later, I guess!