Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Away We Go - Krasinski/Rudolph

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Did anyone else see this movie? I figure at least bob barron has.

I loved it. It wasn't a particularly great film, but it had a lot of funny parts and it certainly was sweet and heartfelt. I just felt like John Krasinski nailed his character, which wasn't much of a stretch since he was mostly a bearded, less sarcastic version of Jim. But he was great as the supportive, odd, but not-too-odd father to be.

The best part, probably, was when they flipped out on Maggie Gyllenhall and her weirdo husband. Although, thinking back on the movie there were a lot of good scenes.

I recommend it.

mellow

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I didn't know that this was a Sam Mendes project until now. It certainly didn't strike me as being similar to his previous works, so I'm even more curious. The nationwide release has certainly snuck up on me.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
I originally thought it was going to be an indie type movie...weird for the sake of being weird.

But it wasn't like that at all. I think this movie can be enjoyed by a wider audience... I was in a row with all middle aged and senior citizens, which made me feel a bit odd during some of the dirtier parts of the movie.

Then on my way out I saw a girl about my age crying her eyes out... although nothing that would stereotypically cause someone to cry at a movie happened here. So I think it can hit home for a lot of different people.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mik said:
I loved it. It wasn't a particularly great film
Mik's entertainment consumption habits in a nutshell right here.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Ass said:
lebron-3-win-orlando-game2.gif

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
I think it's much better to be easily pleased then to pass through life being miserable and hating everything, but I guess that's just a personal choice.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If I recall, barron can't stand Rudolph...however, he's a big movie dork, so he'll surely be seeing this as well as anything else that comes out this year. Don't forget he has that running contest with his friends to see who can see the most movies in a year.

By the way, has Bobby been around lately?

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
It was an awful, ignoble affair. I doubt that any of the parties involved want the details aired out in public.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I searched around Twitter for TSMers. Found Barron's, alerted Maff clique and Slayer posted the transcript where I revealed this AND NOW HE'S GONE IT'S HORRIBLE

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maff chat makes an offhand remark about Bob Barron's twitter (dirty!) in a long-ass post and he runs for the hills. Maff chat changes the folder directory names to mock Jingus and he just sticks around to bitch at us till we change it back. Who gets this.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Twitter is something I just plain can't get in to. Not sure I even want to. Barron never struck me as the "take my ball and go home type". I guess there's a first time for everything?

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I dunno. Maybe he's just busy or camping or something. I'm about due for a board break myself.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ass Thom Yorke said:
I dunno. Maybe he's just busy or camping or something. I'm about due for a board break myself.

Barron camping...seems like kind of a wild guess. I'm having a hard time imagining him hanging out in the woods. For what it's worth, he's been absent from another message board that we both post at.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah if Barron got hit by a bus---would there be any way for us to find out? I doubt it. I'm damn sure I'm not going to write in my will for someone to tell TSM of my death. Mostly because I don't want the likes of Gary Floyd and JHawk zinging me after I'm gone.

bigolsmitty

stares Trick Daddily
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
Ass Thom Yorke said:

Barron camping...seems kind of a wild guess.

He could just be in the woods stalking someone.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So let's talk about this movie. This looks like more of the overdone over-quirky precious affected indie aesthetic that sent me up a wall with Juno and Vampire Weekend. I can't say that the premise, which appears to be two well-off happy youngsters globetrotting for The Perfect Place to raise a kid, appeals to me. To what extent should that even matter, anyway? And really, the luxury of cherry-picking Madison, Montreal, or Miami to raise a child with no regard for work, family, friends...I can't relate. People I know don't have these dilemmas. My parents didn't have this dilemma. Who has this dilemma? Well, a character played by John Krasinski, I guess, but I don't know. I get that a movie about starting a family in exurban Omaha because life is shitty and so you fucking have to would make a terrible movie, but I'm not sure this movie looks all that good either. Also, I turned out to not really like Dave Eggers as much as I'd like to/thought I did/ought to. I'll check McSweeney's every month or so like a good Internet elitist, but A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius left me cold.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I enjoyed What is the What a lot more than I expected to, given the way Eggers too often trucks in sentimentality and preciousness. He managed to reign it in with this one.