Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Bad Wrestling Fan Takes 2021

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Mittens is a bit of a creep, and I don't really like him, but he's a hardcore indie wrestling fan. Deathmatch Facebook groups are filled with fans going at it over GCW vs ICW. They want GCW to be the old GCW that had nothing but deathmatches, but Brett enjoys the non-deathmatches, so he wants to put on a more well rounded show, while Danny has essentially killed what ICW used to be and turned that into the full deathmatch company. It's pretty much worse than WWE vs AEW fans, if you can believe that.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ability to publicly throw Teddy Hart out of their shows aside, I can't think of a single reason why people would prefer ICW over GCW. And that's negated by the fact that they built the rest of the weekend around Dan Maff. Yeah. ICW features more death match wrestling. The type of wrestling that turns off a good portion (if not the majority) of hardcore wrestling fans.

They're both scrub promotions but GCW is the likable scrub you can carry a conversation with. ICW is like the scary scrubs you avoid walking down the same hallway as and kind of smells like poop.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I don't understand anything you or they are talking about.

Basically, Mittens is an indie superfan. He's called that because he wears a pair of those CM Punk hand sleeves when he's at indie shows since he's such a huge CM Punk fan. ICW is my old local company that started in Queens, NY, and has since turned into a touring deathmatch company known for their use of chains instead of ring ropes, as well as running some shows inside a fighting cage called Pit Fighter X. Mittens is close with the now owner of ICW, Danny Demanto, a semi-retired North East wrestler who used to be co-owner of GCW. Mittens goes to all kinds of shows across the East coast, but he's part of the ring crew with ICW. Since GCW used to be all deathmatches, but now they have shows with some regular matches along with deathmatches, and even some shows with no deathmatches, the deathmatch community has turned on them and taken ICW as their new company. Those people from Facebook are giving Mittens shit for being at GCW shows, since he's "Danny's boy." It's the same AEW vs WWE tribalism, but with indie companies.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
It reminds me of the CZW vs. XPW rivalry of 2001-2003, only sadder because those companies at least filled a niche that there wasn't an abundance of. And had better matches.

No, seriously. Zandig/Lobo from Deja Vu and Messiah/Supreme from Go Funk Yourself are better than anything GCW/ICW has ever put out.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It reminds me of the CZW vs. XPW rivalry of 2001-2003, only sadder because those companies at least filled a niche that there wasn't an abundance of. And had better matches.

No, seriously. Zandig/Lobo from Deja Vu and Messiah/Supreme from Go Funk Yourself are better than anything GCW/ICW has ever put out.
What a sad state of affairs when even the garbage death matches aren’t as good as the good ol’ days.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
It's almost like devoted fans of existing characters don't like when those characters get changed to fit other narratives, or something

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The only fan associations I have are on here and the people I know who will watch anything WWE puts out. Would 2021 IWC culture give that much of a shit?

Foley told the story when I saw him and it was exactly the same as the book (of course). Mason The Mutilator, Vince hating him, JR backing him, turd costume, etc. Meant nothing, but I wasn't on the pulse of smart markdom.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

confused-icegif-5.gif

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also don't much care about Reigns/Cena just because I like matches, especially title matches, where the outcome isn't super obvious. Not to say the match itself will be bad, because you know Cena will probably try his best to continue making Reigns look like a fucking badass, I would just rather WWE use championship opportunities to showcase their full-time stars, even in losses.

That being said there isn't a fucking universe where you could take those four specific guys and say Omega and White are "the biggest megastars to come from wrestling". In order to 'come from wrestling' you have to have gone somewhere else. Did I miss a press release where Jay White was going to be third lead on a new Kelsey Grammer sitcom? Is Kenny Omega the new face and head chef of a chain of fast-casual fusion restaurants?

For a percentage of wrestling's dwindling audience, what Impact/AEW/NJPW/etc are doing is exciting and must-see TV. For another (probably larger) percentage, OMG CENA REIGNS BAY BEE. And I'm not saying you can only like one or the other. Then again, I'm not a Professional Sex Haver. The amateur ranks aren't bad though, and there's always shadow boxing.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I want to preface this by saying Jay White is in my current Top 3-5 favorite wrestler. But when it comes to registering with casual WWE fans, he's probably about as close to me as he is to John Cena and Roman Reigns.

(Check me and my friend Jordan looking mildly confused/unimpressed after Bobby Roode's main roster debut on the Smackdown after SummerSlam 2017 on Peacock!)

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
damn man. you should check some njpw out. Jay is so great. Makes Kenny look like nothing. Which I realize isn't saying a ton but legit he's great.