Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
While this was a fun trailer, Keaton's "Juice is Loose" line came off like what would be the first take in how he said it, so I was surprised this stuck. I expected a bit more gusto or energy out of it. But have hope for this. Keaton has gone public to say the film really works from start to finish, they got a fantastic story that is well represented in the output apparently.

If you look close at the point in the scene where they are at the funeral, its very clear it's the Jeffery Jones character that dies, and unlike others within Beetlejuice mythos....he sure aint returning from the dead in this one. I'm even shocked they even acknowledged him to this degree.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Merchandising and promotional tie-ins for this film has gone off the rails. I was checking out at a frozen yogurt bar and when they showed me a tip screen, freakin' Jenna Ortega showed up with a thought bubble saying thanks for my tip.

I tipped 0 btw.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
This was fine 6.5/10. Some of the jokes landed and it wasn't bad but it wasn't tight enough plot or emotion-wise to stand up to the original IMO.

Catherine O'Hara was the MVP and they included more references to Jeffrey Jones' character than the trailer/reviews have implied. Michael Keaton was great in the role, as expected while Jenna Ortega was fine and Winona Ryder/Monica Belluci both kind of felt like afterthought characters unfortunately. I enjoyed the early actor cameo as the cleaner and Willem Defoe was my 1B to O'Hara's MVP performance.

There were a lot of subplots fighting for screen time and not all of them worked to my satisfaction. It's like the screenwriters kept coming up with ideas for characters and threw them all in when they should've focused on just 2-3 at their fullest. I personally would've emphasized
Astrid meeting the boy and them going to the afterlife with Lydia following while throwing in the father/husband aspect, Beetlejuice's obsession with Lydia tying into the Astrid plot & his pursuing the marriage to escape again like the 1st movie, and Defoe's character pursuing Beetlejuice/Lydia/Astrid
. You still could've used the death as the inciting point to get the Deetzes back to that location.

The effects and set design were all still top notch and the score from Elfman was great too.

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
I thought it was cute. It gets a bit too indulgent near the end and I would have liked it if Monica Bellucci had more to do, but otherwise I enjoyed myself. My favorite thing about it is that it's a legacy sequel that's more interested in Tim Burton throwing in a bunch of goofy bits instead of nostalgia.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
It was a perfectly fine, above average sequel. Payed homage to the original while doing it's own thing. Thought it was interesting keeping Jeffrey Jones's character without having the actor (monster that he is).