Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Billy Corgan buys the NWA..... WUT?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
http://411mania.com/wrestling/billy-corgan-agrees-to-buy-the-nwa/

According to Pwinsider.com, former TNA Wrestling President Billy Corgan has agreed in principle to purchase the National Wrestling Alliance; the purchase will include the name, rights, trademarks to the NWA as well as the rights and possession of the NWA championship belt. Back in 2002, the Jarrett’s licensed the rights to the NWA Championships for the first few years of the company before transitioning to TNA branded championships.

Under Bruce Tharpe’s leadership the NWA changed from a group that allowed members to join to a promotion that instead licensed the NWA letters out to those willing to pay to use them. They also worked with NJPW from time to time. This purchase is Corgan’s first move back into pro wrestling since his failed bid to purchase TNA Wrestling, which led to a court battle between the two sides

Corgan has teased getting into wrestling for years, almost buying into ECW in the late 90’s, and later worked with Chicago’s Revolution Pro in creative role and acquiring a deal to bring that promotion to AMC as part of a reality series before AMC opted to shut down its reality TV end.

At this time, no one knows what Corgan’s ownership means for the current NWA member promotions and what would this mean for the NWA on Demand Video service.

It's cool if he wants to toss money into making a good indy....but buying the name is ultimately pointless. It has been 29 years since it has meant a thing.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Definitely an odd choice. The NWA's like the Radio Shack of wrestling organizations. Yeah its kind of neat its still around, but you also know its never gonna have an impact on your life.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yeah...I feel like Corgan should've just gotten out of the wrestling business when TNA fizzled out. There were some interesting moments when he was there but nothing that made me feel he needed to go all in. He's known for being stubborn but I don't even understand what the end game on this is.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Corgan-2.jpg

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I don't see any value in owning the NWA. Isn't is just really letters at this point?

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
There's still a hint of a pull with those letters, though. It's like when you find out about a new project featuring members of a band you used to really like 10-20 years ago but they've been a shell since...

...holy shit, the pattern is revealed.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.gerweck.net/2017/05/31/corgans-plan-to-buy-the-national-wrestling-alliance-may-have-a-serious-bump-in-the-road/

The deal is “in jeopardy” according to multiple sources due to issues surrounding the transfer of the promotion’s existing copyrights and trademarks.

According to sources, the copyright and trademarks on the brand name lapsed last year. Bruce Tharpe’s International Wrestling Corp, LLC, which bought the NWA in 2012, re-applied for the trademarks on March 30th. The application has yet to be officially approved, meaning that it isn’t possible for them to be transferred to Corgan. Corgan has been in the process of buying the company from Tharpe including the name, rights and trademarks along with as the NWA Championship title belt, Tharpe’s stake in the NWA on Demand VOD service and licensing of the Paul Boesch wrestling library.

If the deal somehow does not go through, the future of the NWA is unknown although Tharpe would very possible continue the On Demand service as well as licensing the NWA brand name out to indy promoters. Corgan and Dave Lagana have been seeking to establish relationships with promotions which have licensed the NWA name.

Also..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JobI1LjOpXc

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/pDTPuiIGlUE
The webseries debuting Corgan's NWA is actually pretty good, guys.

Also I love it how the 53 year old Southern indy Dad Tim Storm is now the hottest name on indy wrestling Twitter.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Kamala said:

Also I love it how the 53 year old Southern indy Dad Tim Storm is now the hottest name on indy wrestling Twitter.

I know Dave Marquez personally and he is one of the nicest, smartest guys in the industry. The stories he has and everything he has built (including Championship Wrestling from Hollywood, which doesn't get enough love) are great.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That is NWA World Champion and middle school history teacher TIM STORM. 53 years old, the oldest World Champion in NWA history.

Michael Elgin, Joey Janela, and David Starr (amongst a bunch of other semi-prominent indy dudes) have challenged him on Twitter.

It's funny that Billy Corgan and a 53 year old with Dad Strength have made the NWA cooler than it's been in 25 years.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
It's weird because that guy is not really a good wrestler currently and is an average promo... but he seems like the best babyface going right now doing the simple "Old man has his last run" story with all the sincerity he can absolutely muster up.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, the ending to his NWA World Title match with Magnus was baaaad. So yeah not a WORKRATE GUY. I think he's a decent promo but not stand out. He does feel authentic though and that's something you really can't teach.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I've watched all the videos produced by Billy. I've got to say it's really a shame he didn't get total control of Impact. This is just what wrestling needs. A simple, realistic, sports based approach. If you had a company with some actual talent and television distribution producing a weekly show like this I really feel it would grow fast.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
HSJ said:
King Kamala said:

I know Dave Marquez personally and he is one of the nicest, smartest guys in the industry. The stories he has and everything he has built (including Championship Wrestling from Hollywood, which doesn't get enough love) are great.

I stumbled across CWFH on the Fite app a little over a year ago since many of the wrestlers from the companies I follow work there from time to time. My buddy Royce Issacs (formally of PPW fame) worked their last tapings. It's a great company, and I'm happy got their big tv deal. I can now watching them here in NY without the app every Sunday.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tim Storm showed up at the House of Hardcore show tonight in Philly. FIRST TIME NWA WORLD TITLE HAS BEEN BACK AT ECW ARENA SINCE '94!

He also had a funny Twitter exchange with Nick Gage and now I just want inspirational old man Tim Storm to defend the NWA World Title against all of the death match dirtbags.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
Now I just want inspirational old man Tim Storm to defend the NWA World Title against all of the death match dirtbags.

DPCjD07WsAEX9WU.jpg:large

Hahah yes...Tim Storm is gonna be using his Dad Strength to fend of all of these light tube swinging schmucks.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tim Storm lost the NWA World Title to Nick Aldis is a widely heckled match at last night's CZW Cage of Death.

Rasslin in 2017 is weird.'

I don't get why not put the title on Aldis in the first place if that is the guy you're gonna build around. I knew Old Man Storm holding the title was gonna be short lived but it feels like it could've been someone better than Magnus to dethrone him! Eh.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
Tim Storm lost the NWA World Title to Nick Aldis is a widely heckled match at last night's CZW Cage of Death.

Rasslin in 2017 is weird.'

I don't get why not put the title on Aldis in the first place if that is the guy you're gonna build around. I knew Old Man Storm holding the title was gonna be short lived but it feels like it could've been someone better than Magnus to dethrone him! Eh.

Brian Cage challenged Storm (now Aldis) to a title match on Championship Wrestling From Hollywood a few weeks back. He would have been perfect.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. Brian Cage would've been cool as a monster heel World Champ. Magnus isn't a bad choice for NWA Champ in 2017 but it just feels very uninspired, if that makes sense.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/iae2t4y7P-c

NWA will start doing a weekly show this fall

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Objectively speaking, Cornette is still a great color guy but it's really just a matter of time before someone trolls him and trigger him into blowing his lid again.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.pwinsider.com/article/130004/nwa-reveals-title-platforms-for-weekly-studio-series-return-to-ppv.html?p=1
Our guy Billy Corgan announced today that NWA's weekly TV series, POWER, is going to air on Tuesdays at 6:05 PM on Facebook and YouTube, starting next week. They're going to be posted on FITE.TV the following Saturday.

I can't say I get the time slot. Assuming when you do Facebook and YouTube Live, you get the choice of time slots so why the during a week night when everyone is getting home from work? Why not just do 6:05 PM on Saturday Night if you're doing explicit reference to classic JCP/WCW?

Also they're going to be doing a PPV on December 14th.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Yeah, I was a bit surprised by a Tuesday slot, but they must think there is merit being hooked to the same night as Impact so it can be a small back to back thing similar to, I guess AXS's Saturday Slam stuff. MLW does Mondays at 6 as a lead-in to Raw in a way, so I kinda get it. I'm sure there is the train of thought that this was going to be a night with no wrestling on at all until Impact announced their move last week. So maybe this was in the plans before Impact even got the deal and it was already set and nailed down.

Saturdays at 6:05 would be probably more ideal around and probably more familiar to the fanbase they are trying to get back from those NWA/WCW years. So not quite getting that as neither WOW or NJPW are running head to head with it.

This will be an interesting test for the brand for sure. I will be tuning in to support the effort, but with so much wrestling scheduled during the week, they are going to hard to stick out.