Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Boxing Thread

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
For those of you familiar with BestFightOdds, they have a sister site called:

https://www.proboxingodds.com/

It's less about odds for me and more about what are the important fights coming up. It's a good roundup.

A few observations:

There are barely any worthwhile fights coming up. The fact that so many odds are lopsided, boxing has a matchmaking problem. Even the big names, when you're that established you shouldn't be fighting guys that you are a 15-1 favorite over. The few close fights between elite boxers are like Bradley/PacMan III, fuck that.

The big fights to me are really big though. Povetkin vs. Wilder is gonna be hot fire, and Thurman vs. Porter is a great fight (though that's three months away). Errol Spence and Anthony Joshua are both in good prospect fights as well, but those should be showcase fights. Fury/Wlad ehhh I'm not letting myself get up for that one.

To me though the biggest fight is Abraham vs. Gilberto Ramirez. Ramirez gets hit a lot, but he's got the chin to take it. Super exciting fighter who would probably get KO'd by GGG but it would be a fight that everyone would love to see. Plus the reach/height, chin, output and powerful body shots make him a live dog. He wouldn't back down, which has been a problem with a lot of past GGG opponents. The fact that he has no hype and a lot of people don't even know his name, the boxing marketing machine can use some work. But a big win against AA and people will know who he is.

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Boxing 2016 Thread

Joshua just merked Charles Martin and won his first world title.

Reaction score

vlcsnap-2016-04-10-00h08m28s133-medium_trans++EDjTm7JpzhSGR1_8ApEWQA1vLvhkMtVb21dMmpQBfEs.png

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score

Pac/Bradley 3 was the best of the trilogy, IMO. Much more entertaining than I expected. It was too loud at the bar to really understand the post fight interviews, but did Kellerman drop Mayweather's name in there? I could have sworn I heard it.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score

Golovkin buzz sawed through Wade tonight on HBO almost no time at all. He was a -10,000 going into the fight. Don't see 100 to 1 odds so much anymore.

NoCalMike

Reaction score

Will be interesting to see if Canelo takes the GGG fighter after he takes out Khan. The money will be hard to turn down, even if it is essentially just to take an ass whooping.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

Canelo/Khan is tonight. Worth watching. Probably starts around 11:15-11:30 at the earliest, but some fights on the undercard are worth checking out so you won't be disappointed if you head to the local boxing bar before the main event.

Staff member
Reaction score

Khan has been chinny against guys who couldn't really punch so I think he's gonna get KTFO against someone who can.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

That's what most people think too, but I do think he'll use speed, footwork and smarts to make it a live fight for as long as it lasts. He is capable of winning a decision, but I agree that his chin will probably get wrecked at some point, I'm not sure he can survive for 12 rounds.

NoCalMike

Reaction score

If anyone is thinking about tuning in, the Main event is next. Here is a link if you want.

http://www.vipleague.se/boxing/370882/1/amir-khan-vs-saul-canelo-alvarez-:-world-middleweight-title-live-stream-online.html

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Canelo hit him so hard he didn't even celebrate. It was clearly the strategy the whole time. He didn't even consider trying to box with him. Just looked for that shot the entire time.

NoCalMike

Reaction score

Well that fight went about as predictable as it could. There were actually a couple shots earlier where I thought Khan might have been wobbled but he held up. That KO shot though....wow.

I believe GGG is mandatory opponent for Canelo now or his title is stripped so talk is now cheap.

Staff member
Reaction score

Oscar is going around saying Golovkin better be ready to answer the phone tomorrow.

It's going down.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

Also, this fight proved that weight classes matter yet old Floyd still didn't lose a round to this crafty power puncher. Can't deny his GOAT status.

NoCalMike

Reaction score

Dumb said:
Also, this fight proved that weight classes matter yet old Floyd still didn't lose a round to this crafty power puncher. Can't deny his GOAT status.

His haters were just ridiculous. Every opponent he took on later in his career was the guy that was finally going to "teach him a lesson" until Floyd schooled them in the ring, then suddenly it turned into "oh, well that guy was no good anyway"

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I'm starting to get concerned that I'm on meldonium and don't know it. That shit is everywhere.