Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Can someone recommend me a good detective-type game?

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
it doesn't have to be a police-oriented game per se, but I just want something that involves navigating through an interesting environment and having to deduce in order to move ahead and/or solve a problem.

i don't like lotr/mystical stuff (no disrespect, just not for me) and would prefer a real-city setting for this kind of thing.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I really dug LA Noire when it came out. I've got Dead Secret, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Vanishing Of Ethan Carter, and a couple Sherlock Holmes games that I just haven't gotten to yet. Knee Deep isn't bad but gimmicky. Police Quest is always great and Police Quest 4 is one of the most unintentionally funny games there is.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
I haven't really played this sort of game for a while, I used to be all about old LucasArts and Sierra games when I was younger.

The Tex Murphy series is one of my favourites but it depends on your tolerance for older games. The first three are sort of Sierra adventure game in look but from Under A Killing Moon they are mostly FMV. The Pandora Directive is one of the games that I always get the urge to revisit. They're a good mix of interesting characters and some difficult puzzles set in the future but borrowing from detective stories of the past.

muzzington

Reaction score
Contradiction is also a fun sort of campy FMV (but more modern) detective game that takes place in an English village.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I don’t mind older games but having a ps4 I’d prefer something that is released on it. I don’t really feel like playing anything on my computer. Lots of good suggestions so far, I just need to look into these a bit more, thanks guys

muzzington

Reaction score
Yeah I've always associated that type of game with the PC but like Vale suggested LA Noire and Murdered: Soul Suspect are good.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
dont know if its on anything aside from pc but i just started Disco Elysium and it's really good

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
100000% support Disco Elysium.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
You can download 8-bit Adventure Anthology on PS4 and play Deja Vu, the game I got for my 7th birthday.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna go with Disco Elysium. Thanks guys.

Also Kreese's idea because it's really cheap and I'm a sucker for retro gaming and I like the idea of being a retired boxer in the 40s. That's some true hard boiled shit.