Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Child's Play Remake & Child's Play TV Series Discussion

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
The really interesting thing is that they are doing this remake while the original series is still making sequels and a TV show. This is going to confuse a lot of people.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I love Aubrey Plaza, but this is kind of stupid. If they are gonna reboot a horror franchise, can't they do something that hasn't had another movie in a while. Dammit Basket Case is right there. There have been two Chucky movies in the last five years. I also read Brad Dourif might not be voicing Chucky and yeah this is a terrible idea.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm getting a big Slappy from Goosebumps vibe with that photo. Is this going to be straight up horror like the original or are they going the Bride route and just making it over the top fun?

I want my Jennifer Tilly cameo!

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
To be fair, I didn't realize Orion Pictures existed until I came across that tweet in article - so who knows t is there to like it?

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
Baby Shoes said:
To be fair, I didn't realize Orion Pictures existed until I came across that tweet in article - so who knows t is there to like it?

I watched UHF with Weird Al on commentary and he makes fun of Orion being out of business.

Anyway I don't think their should be a Child's Play remake.

Let's try Psycho again.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Epic Reine said:
I'm getting a big Slappy from Goosebumps vibe with that photo. Is this going to be straight up horror like the original or are they going the Bride route and jyst making it over the top fun?

I want my Jennifer Tilly cameo!

Its's upposed to be a straight up horror. And Dourif isn't the voice here. He's working on the TV show that ties into the regular series.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5lCpB_RLaM

Don't know how I feel about Andy being a pre-teen.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I kind of would like if Andy was in his late 30s - early 40s and one of those toy collectors that used to wreck the Hot Wheels aisle when I worked at Toys R Us looking for that one specific car he needs. It would still work.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really like Aubrey Plaza (I don't really buy her as a mom though) and Bryan Tyree Henry, but this just looks and feels like one of the most generic cash grabs since the Poltergeist remake no one remembers. The kid playing Andy is way too old to care about dolls. Isn't the original series continuing as well and there's a Child's Play tv show with Brad Douriff doing the voice? Do we need this much Chucky?

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Epic Reine said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5lCpB_RLaM

Don't know how I feel about Andy being a pre-teen.

Almost nothing shown although I'm fine with Andy being a little older (although it'll be interesting to see how they play out the kid/doll relationship aspect). I do like that it does look like it's going back to more serious, darker roots.

I don't expect much from the movie itself but I'm hoping it's a decent spin on the original that tries something somewhat new with the concept.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Not sure if the pre-teen thing is because rather than a doll, it is supposed to be an AI toy now.

Also, announcement yesterday that Chucky will be voiced by Mark Hamill.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
To be honest, based on the still photo of bloody Plaza taped up on the trailer above, I can't even bring myself to watch the trailer. Never a big horror person but I am okay with over the top cheesy. That image just seems too disturbing to me.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Epic by Faith No More said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeHNLikDiVw
Good cast, but I'm not impressed with this trailer. It actually looks like they are sacrificing Chucky's personality with a more generic "technologically advanced killer doll" instead of the more interesting "doll possessed by a serial killer." Also doesn't help that it's a CG creation when part of the charm of the franchise is the use of practical effects.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah that trailer gets a big ol' shrug of the shoulders from me. It looks fine I guess, but pointless.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I think my issue with all of this more than anything is that apparently they said its 80 percent practical effects in the film for Chucky, but yet everything I see looks like they CGI'd the fuck out of the character. Ultimately, the latest look makes it feel like graphics from the first or second Playstation or some shit, just not impressed whatsoever with the look.

Since they clearly want to go a different direction with this reboot, why did they even call the doll "Chucky?" They really should have just gone fully against the grain and named it different with a different killer attached. Or maybe they don't involve the Lee Ray character anymore at all, who knows. Obviously this is more in the vein of a robot that goes out of control kind of thing versus possessed, so they are trying to shift all of this.

The somewhat vital campaign for this is fun at least, as they are keeping the promotion out there with random Facebook ads, etc. That's about the best I can say about it all as between Hellboy and Pet Sematary, the year of the horror reboots have been a big fat dud to me. I wish it would just go away completely at this point with re-doing horror. I would guess I might like a few shifts in the story, but otherwise will not enjoy this one much. Hamill will bring something to the table I'm sure, too.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Gary said:
So apparently, this new one isn't too bad.

Average score there is a 6/10, which kind of surprised me. May end up checking it out next week at some point then. Mark Hamill as the voice of Chucky is already a selling point for me so the solid score helps.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
68% isn't enough for me to spend money to see it in a theater, though. Maybe Redbox.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I tried to go in with an open mind on this one last night, but I dont know.....I appreciated that this basically was 99 percent nothing like the original film, nor the series of films as a whole......but my god, this was a fucking mess of a story that could have been so much more interesting with the tech going bad concept. I also found the majority of the comedy attempts in this to be very flat and unfunny. I may have been in the minority on this though as a guy two rows down from me was laughing more than I thought was humanly possible.

I think also what got me about this was that the characters from the Andy character to Aubrey Plaza's mom character to side players.....most were ultimately unlikable as hell but that's horror for you. Some of the moves and lines these characters made were face palming bad. Plus there was a schizophrenic pace and tone to this that kinda felt like they were throwing shit on a wall and seeing what stuck, especially as it came to the doll character. The story around the technology and how everything was connected to each other like a knock on Google Home was interesting at first, but they went too all over the place with the idea. Some of the ideas would have worked a lot better if they would have thought through the script a bit and did some revisions to tighten up what was going on with all of that.

I guess on the positive end of things, Mark Hamill certainly didn't phone in his lines as Chucky but he was given some shit to work with for sure. Most lines were just repeating other character's lines, etc. More of a robotic voice than Dourif's version but that was the idea and Hamill did well with it. But there was a few gems of lines in there. Really, as I said before, and this was obvious when watching this too, but they shouldn't have even called the doll Chucky as this felt like a totally different character without the Charles Lee Ray hook to it. That said, any referencing or homage to the original or the series was minimal at best, so again I'm like why did they even call him Chucky? The gore factor was high here too. There was alot of lazy and silly bullshit in between the kills, which at least were creative and certainly bloody. I guess that's the most praise I could give to this. The effects were pretty good at times, especially when it was obvious they had animatronics, but then they would do this bad CGI with the facial expressions of the doll and it would ruin it. The look of the doll was weird....maybe a bit creepy at times, but generally out of place. Cartoony looking and hard to accept as a positive replacement for the original Chucky look.

Now seeing how haphazardly this seemed to be put together, I get how Don Mancini and other Chucky alumni were very critical of this and didn't want to endorse this. This felt like a blatant money grab by MGM that didn't need to be made as everyone pretty much assumed.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Epic for the Summer said:
So it's basically a theatrically-released Black Mirror episode?

That would be far too kind. The writing and flow of this was nothing like a Black Mirror episode.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Avid Warehouse Enthusiast said:
Soooooo...
It's really just "tech gone bad" and not "possessed killer doll"? Fucking lame.

Yep....

A tech that makes the dolls decides to unleash no restrictions on the AI of a particular doll and puts some special chip inside the doll that, I guess, makes him learn how to kill easier? It made little sense. I guess the tech was pissed he was going to get fired so released the AI unfiltered, and then for no fucking reason, the same tech ends up killing himself at the plant right after he does it (I guess so he doesn't get in trouble for it even though he was going to be let go at the end of the day anyway?). That is just one of many confusing plot points. Certainly not expecting perfection in a horror remake, but yikes...this took it to a whole new WTF level of storytelling.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Gary said:
So apparently, this new one isn't too bad.

I'm not seeing this in theaters but it's down to 60% which is three points higher than Pet Sematary 2019. I thought that movie stunk so based on this and some of what I heard, it looks about as useless and pointless as the PS remake.