Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

China: The Next Global Super Power?

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We don't have a thread on China which considering how important it is now we probably should! The big news right now now is obviously the economic crisis they're having http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-08/china-bans-stock-sales-by-major-shareholders-for-six-months

China’s securities regulator banned major shareholders, corporate executives and directors from selling stakes in listed companies for six months, its latest effort to stop the nation’s $3.5 trillion stock-market rout.

Investors with stakes exceeding 5 percent must maintain their positions, the China Securities Regulatory Commission said in a statement. The rule is intended to guard capital-market stability amid an “unreasonable plunge” in share prices, the CSRC said.

Also an article about how Islam is growing in China with the young'uns http://www.ibtimes.com/religion-china-grows-among-young-people-islam-most-popular-among-followers-under-30-1998282

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey we had a thread on china so i don't have to make a new one! I hope it goes better this time!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-blast/blast-outside-u-s-embassy-in-chinas-capital-wounds-lone-suspect-idUSKBN1KG0KP

China is downplaying this and claiming it was a "firework device" and I've seen other reports claiming they were trying to set themselves on fire.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
lmao at the time gap in between posts.

I'll make sure to post in this thread, brother, I got lots of ideas from this article I just read:

michael-scott-china.png

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So this is some really fucked up shit:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-uighur-muslims-xinjiang-province-qr-codes-security-crackdown-hrw-a8532156.html

China is installing QR codes on the homes of the Uighur Muslim community in order to get instant access to the personal details of people living there, according to a report by Human Rights Watch (HRW).

The development comes as part of a mass security crackdown on minorities in Xinjiang province, the charity said, which includes arbitrary detentions, daily restrictions on religious practice and “forced political indoctrination”.

I might have posted about this somewhere else but China also has begun implementing this all over the country:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-social-credit-system-surveillance-cameras/

By 2020, China plans to give all its 1.4 billion citizens a personal score based on how they behave. Some with low scores are already being punished if they want to travel. Nearly 11 million Chinese are not allowed to fly and 4 million are barred from trains. Next week, the program will start expanding nationwide.

The government says it is trying to "purify" society by rewarding people who are trustworthy and punishing those who are not, reports CBS News correspondent Ben Tracy. So like the credit scores most Americans have based on how they handle their finances, Chinese citizens are getting a social credit score based on everything from whether they pay their taxes on time to how they cross the street to what they post online.

Can see that kind of stuff spreading in the future.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/appledaily_hk/status/1264237172082700288

Jackie Chan was right.

Brb, throwing away all my Cantonese learning materials and switching to Mandarin.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

this is a big problem that’s embedded in big business thanks to economic reliance on their market. I hate to sound like a republican but it does seem like the tendency for liberals to associate criticism of foreign governments with racism is hurting the ability to recognize these problems and come up with a solution.

Last edited:

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Republicans in this country are doing literally the same thing right now with their attempts to ban teaching US history.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as internet nationalists go, they don't get much better than Chen Weihua.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't want to wish harm on Speaker of the House but c'mon, imagine how funny it'd be to see all of the far right, China hawks be confused about how to feel if China shot down her plane!

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A better (but still dumb) example would have been if Hawaii declared it's independence. I'd say half of America doesn't even remember PR is a territory most of the time.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

This drama over the balloon has been really funny. China claims it's used for weather research and went off course. Everyone of course wants it shot down and the fact it was over a military base for days without anyhting happening to it makes America look a little bad.

It's hard for me to get too worked up (although I do think they should have shot it down probably) when The US has every country on earth surrounded by bases, spy planes and satellites. The fact China managed to do this makes America look bad but America is able to look at everyone else at will so it is pretty insignificant.