Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2023 & On - College FOOTBAW Thread

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
James Madison is eschewing the waiting time and will be jumping to the Sun Belt for this season. They won't be eligible for the title/bowl game but it's pretty big news.

Dandy

Reaction score
Yeah, and C-USA is doing everything it can to prevent Marshall, Southern Miss, and Old Dominion from moving over to the Sun Belt this year instead of 2023. The Sun Belt and its teams are ready with a schedule to make it happen but here is the increasingly irrelevant C-USA desperately trying to hold on.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Arizona State has been having major coaching upheavals due to tampering issues and offseason contact recruiting issues. Very under the radar story IMO.

"Five assistant coaches at ASU have now lost their jobs as a result of the NCAA's investigation into recruiting violations in Tempe, either through resignations or firings, and several writers are once again calling for Edwards to be fired as coach as the overseer of the Arizona State program."

"... It continues to employ the assistant (Antonio Pierce) who coordinated recruiting when recruiting rules were violated. And it continues to employ the head coach (Herm Edwards) who supervised the recruiting coordinator and the four departed assistants connected to the scandal. That’s not innovation. That’s dereliction." - Kent Somers

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
What is going on with these coaches... Auburn & Bryan Harsin are going through their own drama. Sounds very similar to the Hawai'i situation except Auburn kept Harsin.

"At the root of the inquiry, sources said, was the overall volatility in the program and Harsin's treatment of players and assistant coaches. Auburn closed the 2021 season on a five-game losing streak, and after finishing 17th nationally (eighth in the SEC) in ESPN's early signing day rankings in December, the Tigers didn't sign any players in the February signing period.

Other players accused Harsin of not relating well to players. Former defensive lineman Lee Hunter, who transferred to UCF, said on his Instagram account that Harsin had the "true mindset for a winner but has a terrible mindset as a person" and added that players were treated "like dogs."

Sources told ESPN the actions of school officials and lawyers indicated they were digging for information on Harsin. School officials interviewed departed players and coaches to dig deeper into why 20 players and five assistant coaches had left."

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Art Briles has already resigned from his OC position at Grambling State due to the blowback upon being hired by Hue Jackson. A similar situation happened at Southern Miss a few years ago when they wanted to hire him as their HC and he received blowback/left the Hamilton Tiger Cats of the CFL in similar circumstances. Can't say I'm saddened by this. Art's coached in Italty and at a high school the last couple years.

"As we move forward together with Coach Briles, we ask people to keep in mind that no matter your views on this topic, please remember that people (aka Art Briles I assume) can and often do become re-traumatized and re-victimized by statements which may or may not be accurate (aka I wanted to coach with Art and win so the Baylor victims may've been lying too y'all)." lol... c'mon, Hue. Grambling of course immediately came out and said that statement was all Hue and didn't reflect their educational facility at all.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Not just the FBS... FCS has seen 7 teams transitioning conferences for 2022 with 3 more in 2023.

Sam Houston & Jacksonville State are both jumping to the FBS in 2023 too.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
The expansion of the Big Ten and SEC into a 20 to 24 team super conference has seemed inevitable. I'm pretty excited that the Big Ten pushed beyond the historically regional Mid-Atlantic/Midwest to bring in USC & UCLA. I'd really almost expect Oregon & Washington to follow suit to help form the core of a B1G Western Division. It may seem strange but with all of the history of the Rose Bowl being Big Ten vs Pac Ten/Twelve the fit doesn't seem totally out of place.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
Maybe it's the regional fan in me but the loss of geographical distinctions among conferences has killed a lot of the allure of college football.

"But now you get big matchups all season!" Yeah, but it's like MLB interleague play. The novelty of seeing the top teams who had no interaction previously is gone.

Staff member
Reaction score
If they bring Notre Dame, Stanford, Washington, and Oregon along then I approve.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be curious what happens to the ACC if/when schools like Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, or Virginia flee. I could see the SEC making moves for Clemson, Miami, and Florida State for the rivalry aspect/really locking up the south while North Carolina & Virginia end up in the Big 10.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mostly only bring up LSU to talk shit but I would love Clemson in the SEC just to watch the locals lose their minds over another "Death Valley" and "Tigers" situation.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
In more under the radar movement news, 3 C-USA schools will be moving to the AAC for the 2023 season: Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, and Texas-San Antonio.

"When all is said and done, Conference USA will have nine football-playing members in 2023. New members Liberty (FBS Independent), New Mexico State (FBS Independent), Jacksonville State (FCS; ASUN Conference), and Sam Houston (FCS; WAC) will join FIU, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, UTEP, and WKU."

Also, rumblings that ESPN and TV Rights are a big key to this movement, are not surprising: https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/fbs-ad-fox-espn-realignment-valuations.html

"…BC athletic director Gene DeFilippo, who was part of the 12-member ACC expansion committee, adamantly denied that the move was dictated by basketball interests, but he did concede that the effects of it may boost that sport more than football. The ACC just signed a new deal with ESPN that will increase the revenue for each school to approximately $13 million. With the addition of Pittsburgh and Syracuse, said DeFilippo, another significant increase will come.“We always keep our television partners close to us,’’ he said. “You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV – ESPN – is the one who told us what to do. This was football; it had nothing to do with basketball.’’

"It’s no secret that something like Ohio State-Michigan tends to be one of the mostwatched games of the year, which is why the Fox move to gain first pick of Big Ten games (which they’ve always used on that game) in the 2017 media deals was so important."

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fox getting the Texas/Alabama game this year and having it at noon is one of those "deal with the Devil" situations.

Do I want the game that early to use the Texas heat/humidity to fuck with Alabama? Yes.

Do I want the game on Fox? Fuck no.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fox getting the Texas/Alabama game this year and having it at noon is one of those "deal with the Devil" situations.

Do I want the game that early to use the Texas heat/humidity to fuck with Alabama? Yes.

Do I want the game on Fox? Fuck no.

Texas humidity lol. You've never been to BAMA, have you?

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Texas humidity lol. You've never been to BAMA, have you?
No, I haven't.

I also quite distinctly remember nearly all of the LSU roster dropping like flies with "cramps" during the game in Austin, despite that you know, they're FROM the Gulf.

As of this moment, it's 102 with a "feels like" of 113 at just 36% humidity.

So laugh all you want, but there's a reason why for major games IN Austin, they try to play them at night.. Like, that LSU game? That was a 6:30 start.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
No, I haven't.

I also quite distinctly remember nearly all of the LSU roster dropping like flies with "cramps" during the game in Austin, despite that you know, they're FROM the Gulf.

So laugh all you want, but there's a reason why for major games IN Austin, they try to play them at night.. Like, that LSU game? That was a 6:30 start.
Idk, it "feels like" 100 in Tuscaloosa right now with a humidity of 74(!)%. I don't know what happened with LSU in that game, but I'm not gonna be worried about Bama in the heat.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
No, I haven't.

My alma mater is situated in the arm pit of the Gulf heat and gets their asses kicked anytime the Dakota schools come down for some fun. We've beat University of North Dakota once but North Dakota State and SDSU have come down and whooped that ass in pre-conference September heat and USD gave us a good ass kicking in round 1 of the playoffs recently. So it doesn't surprise me in the least that a school from LA would have the reverse problem going North to Austin. ("north to Austin" is a phrase not said often)

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
College season kicks off Saturday. Kedon Slovis will be the starting QB for Pittsburgh in next Thursday's game against WVU.

Other QB starters named include Gerry Bohanon for USF (transferred from Baylor), Austin Reed for WKU, Tyler Buchner for Notre Dame, and Brady Cook for Missouri.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Both St. Francis (PA) against Akron and Bryant against FIU went to OT with the FBS teams prevailing, FIU by 1 point 38-37.

Northern Illinois also held off Eastern Illinois 34-27.

Tonight we got Western Michigan @ 15 Michigan State, Illinois @ Indiana, and TCU @ Colorado as the big match ups.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Old Dominion throws the first surprise haymaker of the season knocking off Virginia Tech 20-17.

Also, William & Mary steamrolled Charlotte 41-24.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm late with this ever year, but AA's games of the week for week 1:

West Virginia at Pittsburgh
Penn State
at Purdue
North Carolina at Appalachian State (12:00, ESPNU)
Oregon vs. Georgia (3:30, ABC)
Cincinnati at Arkansas (3:30, ESPN)
Utah at Florida (7:00, ESPN)
Notre Dame at Ohio State (7:30, ABC)
Boise State at Oregon State (10:30, ESPN)
Florida State vs. LSU (Sunday, 7:30, ABC)

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
UNC/App State put up an early shootout game of the year but Tulsa/Wyoming had an equally bonkers 4th quarter and pair of OT that saw Wyoming come away with the win. Houston also survived UTSA in OT winning 37-35. Ohio beat FAU in another shootout 41-38... lotta small school shootout battles this weekend!

BC continues to BC, losing to Rutgers 22-21 in a game they should've won. Tulane also pistol-whipped UMass as the majority of UMass fans silently wonder why they don't go back to the FCS while the AD Ryan Bamford stubbornly digs his heels in pretending they aren't the new Idaho.

Delaware knocked off a struggling Navy team. Navy really needs to find a legitimate QB who can make that offense go.

In a big upset, Houston Baptist knocked off Northern Colorado 46-34 after going 0-11 in 2021.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
UMass wasn't even that dominant of an FCS team! Even UMass fans probably know deep down that jumping up to the bigs seemed to be a decision purely made out of greed not a feeling that they could genuinely compete.

Speaking of marginal state college football programs, UMaine Black Bears got absolutely molly whopped by the University of New Mexico Lobos 41-0 in their season opener.