Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Dragonball Z Thread

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Thanks to Google

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014/05/30/dragon-ball-z-battle-of-gods-blasts-into-u-s-movie-theaters-this-august/

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
But I already watched it poorly translated on YouTube and in Mexican on Netflix! Correct English subtitled BR release can't be far off then.

Reaction score
Wait what I meant that we'd start posting in this thread during the summer

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
About time you made this thread. Dragonball Z is the greatest show of all-time. Or close to it.

Who's everyone's favourite hero and villain? I'm a Vegeta fan. Cell is probably my favourite of the villains aside from Vegeta. Does anyone watch DBZ Abridged? I highly enjoy it for an incredibly nerdy thing.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Do you mean Kai? Kai is the best. No 20 episode filler fight scenes. :p

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
How about that Krillian, huh? Pretty good little underrated worker.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember absolutely raging against the dub in high school. I hated it so much (still do). I have all of Dragonball and DBZ on DVD, but I've never picked up DBGT on DVD.

My son (who's almost four) caught DBGT on TV the other day and watched like three episodes in a row. Even though it was just the shitty dub I nodded approvingly, he's getting into everything I was into/is into. Wrestling, Ninja Turtles, sports, Dragonball, Transformers, etc.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Dubbing's a hard job, Dama. And the Funimation DBZ dub is a classic, c'mon.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
tekcop said:
Dubbing's a hard job, Dama. And the Funimation DBZ dub is a classic, c'mon.

"He's powering up!"

"ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHYAAAARRRRREAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!"

Sean Schemmel sucks. He's the worst offender of the entire dub.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is going to ruin the illusion or whatever, but the original Japanese script didn't exactly win any awards for it's stellar dialogue.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Funimation dub is fucking awesome and Goku sounds like a girl in the Japanese version. Just terrible.

DBZ Kai is brilliant and takes care of all the pacing issues basically. My kids love it. I'm looking forward to them covering the BUU Saga. I'll be said if there's no Great Saiyaman though because that was great filler.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
gokuwasmurdered said:
The Funimation dub is fucking awesome and Goku sounds like a girl in the Japanese version. Just terrible.

DBZ Kai is brilliant and takes care of all the pacing issues basically. My kids love it. I'm looking forward to them covering the BUU Saga. I'll be said if there's no Great Saiyaman though because that was great filler.

Saiyaman was used to introduce Videl was it not, how did she become part of the clique without that filler?

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Japanese Goku may be a girl, but English speaking Goku will never be as awesomely backwater as him.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a tiny bit of Great Saiyaman stuff in the manga before the tournament. But probably not more than 1 episode's worth.

Reaction score
gokuwasmurdered said:

I could not fathom that when I first heard it; made more sense when I realized she had been doing the voice since he was a child (it's somewhat common for females to voice-act young boys).

In my opinion, Vegeta was the best villain and hero. He was basically the reason I watched the show.

Also, I'm really glad I'm not the only person here who watches Abridged.

Reaction score
Vegeta sacrificing himself vs Fat Buu was one of the best episodes of the series. It's too bad it was all for naught.

Shooting Star

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I saw the movie in theaters last year. Had a great time even if it wasn't the epic I was hoping for

1374367_10151893656904399_405141180_n.jpg

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
No offense, but you need time in the Gravity Chamber. Followed by a day in the Chamber of Time and Spirit.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
SIERRA HOTEL said:
Vegeta sacrificing himself vs Fat Buu was one of the best episodes of the series. It's too bad it was all for naught.

That and Piccolo's last day as well as some of the stuff with Mr Satan are basically my arguments for why the Buu Saga is good shit when some people say the show should have ended with the Cell Games. It has it's flaws but there's some very good moments.

The sequel series on the other hand is basically pure shit. Super Saiyan 4 did look bad ass though.

The movies were pretty hit and miss but Broly was a fucking bad ass.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
tekcop said:
I'm not sure if this is going to ruin the illusion or whatever, but the original Japanese script didn't exactly win any awards for it's stellar dialogue.

Nah, but I still loved the emotion of the actors as opposed to the horrible grunting of the American VA's. Plus the sheer amount of dialogue they changed to try and be funny was awful. And the American music was shit. Some of the Japanese music grated on me, but a lot of it was really damn good, especially Spirit vs. Spirit when Gohan went SSJ2.

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Since it's kinda Dragonball, the Epic Rap Battle from 2 weeks ago was Superman vs. Goku. I'd post it, but trying to link on my Android is a losing proposition. Its not bad, and Goku's last line gives him the win in my book.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo5Rhn8zuPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESDAXKC2418&list=UUsvazPPlhZlch0-Z3wPByeg

Battle of the Gods is also in theaters right now in the US (350 screens!) for 4days.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm seeing it tonight since it's not playing Saturday here. I wish it was the sub and not the dub but I'll take what I can get.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
So I pretty much loved this minus some of the voice acting. I hope some day this is available on Blu Ray with the original dialog and English subtitles. It's just not possible for me to listen to American King Kai and not cringe.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just noticed that DBZ Kai is back in Japan with the new updated episodes. I looked it up and it says we'll be getting the dubbed stuff on toonami in the fall. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-24/dragon-ball-z-kai-to-run-on-adult-swim-toonami-block/.74885 I'm looking forward to see how they redo this.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I was upset when I found out Kai was ending with the Cell Saga. Glad to see it finishing up right. From what I gathered reading articles from when they first announced it, they're only doing the Buu Saga due to Kai's popularity in North and South America as its ratings were pretty abysmal in Japan.