Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Dragonball Z Thread

Reaction score
Saw it! Dope movie. Don’t wanna say much cause don’t wanna spiller. I guess this is canon now?

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah my understanding is that this is officially cannon. I'd bet that whenever they bring back Super or a new series the first story arc will be a retelling of the movie just like they did with the previous two movies but that's pure speculation.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
watched this last night and it was great. Best action scenes in a DBZ movie and some of the best in the series alltogether.

I get why they basically kept the characters to just goku and vegeta and I think it made the movie stronger plot wise but I have to say I missed not having Gohan at least in it as someone who is a big fan. hopefully we get a new series soon.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/JFVSdlBray8

Man, I just came here to post this and read the last year of posts. I don't know if I really want to get into the new stuff.

(immediately finds Ginyu Saga DVDs in closet and plays them)

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
All right, fuck it, this is a great day for me personally (the roommate who propted me to start the GC thread about roommates is LEAVING~), I balled out this weekend on tips from my history tours, and I've got my preferred green to celebrate my namesake Saint's day.

I'MMA LIVEBLOG THIS VIEWING.

The format? Funimation DVDs produced in the late 2000s. These are the "season" boxsets. In this case, it's the fifth disc of the Second Season. My audio will be, as always, the original Japanese track with English subtitles. I never watch these discs any other way.

WE HAVE A PROMO. Mark Hamill voices a character on ROBOTECH: THE SHADOW CHRONICLES! Robotech has always seemed like it was a thing, even a big thing, but I've never met anyone who knows anything about it. Gundam Wing? Big O? Voltron? Even a sentimental pick of mine, G-FORCE? I've talked about these with people who knew what they were. Robotech? Nope. Weird, innit?

The DVD menu pops up with that delightfully 2000s hard rock music. Hey, this shit is missing these days. Shame.

It offers a "Marathon Feature" option, a handy gimmick that cuts out the intros, recaps, and credits of individual episodes so when the narrator is all "WHAT DA FUCK GON' HAPPEN" it immediately starts the next episode. I never liked this because the intro theme is fucking FIRE and I always want to hear the episode title card music along with whatever breathless Japanese title exists.

I CAN STILL SING THE JAPANESE LYRICS OF THE INTRO!!!

Okay, so I'm starting with the episode where Vegeta fights Recoome and it's one of most badass fucking fights in the whole series. God I'm pumped. The AWESOME recap music plays while the Guldo v. Krillin/Gohan fight is shown. When I was in high school my group of friends all claimed different Ginyu Force members as theirs. Mine was Guldo because I loved how his psychokinetic/time powers was a total change of pace from the Might Makes Right world of DBZ.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
Vegeta murking Guldo was the shit. "Fuck you asshole!! I wasn't helping you, I just need more backup against these fucks!"

A minute please, for how savage Vegeta's powerup is in this episode. He's already looking half fucked up because of his fight with Zarbon, and the pissed off look he has is only amplified. The Ginyu Force's shock at how strong Vegeta's gotten through his many, many recent severe injuries is priceless.

A great aid to this episode is that it was drawn by their A-list art team. Everything looks great, like you imagine this show is supposed to look in vintage form.

Dammit, I can't really do a liveblog while still reading the subtitles. Well shit. Nevermind!

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
I watched two of the new movies, the one where everyone's trying to keep the Super Duper Supreme God Kai or whatever content at a party by plying him with Earthly foods, and another where Goku fights Frieza again. (Battle of the Gods and Return of F?)

I haven't seen a single episode of the new series itself, as I've never sought out what channel it's on or any streams or whatever. I was never interested much in the Buu Saga or GT after watching bits of them because of how ridiculously powerful everyone got. I've watched the Majin Vegeta/Goku shit because that was what I always wanted to see happen, but the details of how it all went down escape me off the top of my head.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The first I want to say two arcs of the new series is basically retelling the first two now movies but then it gets into new stuff and some of it is really awesome including some stuff with FUTURE TRUNK~ There's a lot of Power Creep but you just sort of embrace it at this point. The show has some of the most insanely fun battles of the series as well.

The last movie with Broly if you haven't seen it is worth watching. It's the best movie they ever did and tells a much tighter story than usual with a lot less comedy.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

@Brooklyn Zoo don't know if you ever finished watching DBZ Super but you've got some time still to catch up if you haven't. Next movie in 2022. I thought Broly was a lot of fun. The recent movies have really benefited from Toriyama being involved. Super itself the last huge arc was the best DBZ stuff since Cell Games IMO.

Reaction score

@Brooklyn Zoo don't know if you ever finished watching DBZ Super but you've got some time still to catch up if you haven't. Next movie in 2022. I thought Broly was a lot of fun. The recent movies have really benefited from Toriyama being involved. Super itself the last huge arc was the best DBZ stuff since Cell Games IMO.
I’ve only seen the Broly movie and a few episodes. I’ll watch more at some point but we’ve actually just started watching Naruto and we are 20 eps in. Pretty good so far!