Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Evanescence: The Bitter Truth Album Coming

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't want to start a thread on just Evanescence and unless it's a Metal thread, not much tends to get viewed/responded to (unless it involves a death) so I'm throwing this here.

Evanescence has a new album coming out in the fall called The Bitter Truth and released a single already called Wasted on You. It's... okay. It's more of a general, almost 80's Goth Rock sound underneath, relying on Amy Lee's vocals and reminds me of stuff like Call Me When You're Sober or a lesser My Heart is Broken but not as memorable. I kept waiting for it to kick off into a catchier hook and it never really does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bvQHrMnxUw

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was just at a gas station yesterday getting garbage food and a guy in the parking lot was blaring "My Immortal." :eek:

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I was never a huge fan. I recognize that Amy Lee has a good voice but the band as a whole never clicked for me.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
The band (Amy Lee with whoever is hired to play on the album) hasn't produced anything remotely decent since Ben Moody left in 2004. His other band, We Are the Fallen, sounds like an evolved 2003-era Evanescence.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been needing to check his band out for a while. I find that I rarely like the whole of later Evanescence stuff but do dig a few of their tracks: Like You from The Open Door is a more suicidal version of Hello to me and The Other Side from their self-titled in 2011 is a poor man's Fallen B-Side with a bit more of a symphonic metal vibe going on.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
"Lies" is the best song they've ever done, aside from the full band re-recording of "My Immortal", and I will die on this hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYBi-F0ucTs

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Nymyzys said:
"Lies" is the best song they've ever done, aside from the full band re-recording of "My Immortal", and I will die on this hill.

I'm not that big a fan of it because I like Amy Lee's vocals and there she just feels like too much of an accessory. Instrumentation wise, it's one of their more diversified tracks though. One of the things I liked about their earlier work was it was a little more Industrial influenced within the Nu-Metal instrumental playing underneath her vocals.

As much as I love the Fallen album it did feel like they were a lot more experimental and production wise it felt more expansive on their Origin album.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nymyzys said:

OMG the full band version is so much better than the original, it's not even funny.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Another music video dropped a few weeks ago. I like this more than "Wasted on You" at least. Feels like more of a throwback early 00's Nu-Metal track.

The Game Is Over

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably my favorite of the three in that sounds like something that would work just as well in an arena live sound wise. I am torn as I feel like Amy's voice did get a bit buried in the mix.

Evanescence - Use My Voice

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Album dropped. Mostly solid stuff but the earlier note that Amy's vocals seem buried tends to apply to a lot of the songs, which is pretty unfortunate mixing-wise. I'm all for featuring the bands/instrumentation but when the strength of the band is arguably the vocalist... you can't turn that down to push the band/instrumentation instead.

Better Without You is a perfect example where it seems like a throwback Fallen era track (really good overall) but the vocals are so buried that I find myself straining to make out the lyrics.