Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Frig it! It's the WB/UPN/MyNetworkTV/PAX/5th & 6th Networks thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Does anyone remember PAX's weird attempt to cash in the pro wrestling and UFC craze? Of course, they didn't want anything as violent as UFC or edgy as '00s WWE so they came up with the ingenious idea of PROFESSIONAL AMATEUR WRESTLING!

I guess people in the mid '00s couldn't appreciate grappling.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
My only reference point for Real Pro Wrestling that when I would search on DirecTv for "pro wrestling" this shit would come up.

How about the run from WGN to have wrestling in the fold? Not only was WWE Superstars a thing on there for a bit (I remember reading WGN actually refused a renewal of the show), but then after that, they decided to make a deal with Ring Warriors, which broadcast from Sam's Town in Vegas. RW was some badly booked shit, BUT it had alot of stars based from Vegas like Kross and Jeff Cobb and tons others.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just remembered Superstar USA, The WB's super mean spirited American Idol parody, which seemed cruel even by '00s pop culture standards.

Very uncharacteristic for WB but the only networks I could see this fitting on are Comedy Central and FOX (which wouldn't cause they aired the actual American Idol)

And yes, teenage King Kamala did watch every episode of this garbage.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I know Kamala threads have a wide purview but I have no idea what the Sally Jessy show has to do with any of the networks this thread pertains to. Oh wait, she did make some cameo appearances on the Surreal Life but I don't remember if that was in the WB era or if it was after the show moved to VH1. (Fake edit: She did appear in one episode of the WB run.) But there must be a daytime talk trash thread to post in.