Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

GD Radio Stations thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Spinning this off of the classic rock thread.

Discuss our favorite non-talk radio memories of past (and present?) What were your favorite stations? Does anybody still regularly listen to the radio in the internet age? Discuss all that and more ITT

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Having worked in terrestial radio I can confidently say no one really listens and those that do don't pay much attention unless provoked. When the FCC rules relax between 11pm and 4am, everything kind of changes with format so you can fuck around a little more. Best radio happens then because since no one was listening anyway they really aren't that late.

That said during the day weird shit would happen, such as a station manager showing up drunk and demanding Pearl Jam and the guy who was on right before us playing old (like 1920s-40s) casually racist music because...because.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What I don't get about last 20 years of radio is you think rise of streaming would encourage more looseness. Radio is just like a crappier version of the free version of Spotify or Pandora.

I was gonna say difference is radio has local ads but even now the streaming services have figured out a way to do localized ads sometimes. If Conrad starts talking about the Cumberland County Fair and the Porthole's Happy Hour, I'm going to poop.

Valeyard

Reaction score
PSAs are the worst. Like, we were supposed to play like four an hour but they were all kinda fucked up. Who is going to get into any music or engagement when you gotta mix in things about domestic abuse or shaking babies? Local ads are the best, though, especially when you have to read them.

This is real as hell.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Does every city have a good rock station and the bad rock station just like everyone has the good grandmother and the bad grandmother?

Our bad rock station debuted around '04/'05ish (again. Right when I think radio really started going downhill IMO) and is called THE BONE! Their initial hype was that it was the Maine debut of Howard Stern (how far our state is behind the times. We only got Stern like for a year before he left terrestrial radio!) and they didn't play WIMPY music like Todd Rundgren and Billy Joel.

WTH? I'd rather listen to Billy Joel then pretend Five Finger Death Punch is keeping rock and roll alive & well.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The local radio situation back home is so odd. Two pop stations, one local one not, yet both very out of touch. I'm the only person who went years without knowingly hearing Justin Bieber because they didn't play him, but would play every new single Melissa Etheridge would put out.

Also there is nothing worse than modern country radio. It didn't use to be this way. The age of country becoming twangy white people equivalent to 2000s hip hop has been the worst non-conservative-talk radio out there.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My local radio station is honestly p. decent for a small market. We got two of almost every major format. Only thing we're really missing is a classic country station.

but would play every new single Melissa Etheridge would put out.
Local rock station really tried hard to make Tesla's 2004 comeback album a thing. To the point where I was surprised to find out a few years ago "Caught in a Dream" only made it to #21 on the Rock Charts!

Last edited:

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

This is probably my earliest memory of watching Stern late-nigh on E!. I was like "who are these goofs?" and then being impressed they pulled off all their dance moves in Howard's tiny studio.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I legit never knew what became of them outside of these appearances. Did they ever get ANY airplay?

I just googled one of them was murdered by the cops. Shame.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The "Feel My Ubiquity" official video is on YouTube but I never heard it on the radio. I also was definitely not in a market that would play it though.

The last appearance of the one twin is really creepy. I think he'd just left whatever facility he was in and wandered to the station.