Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Hocus Pocus and Hocus Pocus 2

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I just adore the first movie and find it eminently repeatable in re-watches. The casting is really good for the most part.

So here's the new teaser trailer for Hocus Pocus 2! Curious if they adapt it from the HP 2 novelization that had been released.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like Hocus Pocus 2 is hitting Disney+ on 9/30/22, just in time for October!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
The overt call backs are kinda corny but that chemistry is still great and they wear the characters like gloves.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm going to watch it.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I still remember the first time I saw the original. Saw It on cable the night of Summerslam 94. I was going on 15 so I thought it was a kids movie but my brother/his friends/our cousins loved it. I had remembered Omri Katz from Eerie, Indiana.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I think my first exposure was actually thanks to a babysitter showing it to us when it first hit VHS when I was around 9 and my sister was 7, perfect age wheelhouse.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The original is one of only two times I found Sarah Jessica Parker attractive. That's all I got.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Hocus Pocus 2
6/10

Watchable. The 1st third kind of dragged a bit until it got to the actual plot/introduced the teens vs. witches aspect then it became what was expected. The Sanderson Sisters were well written and it's clear the actresses were having fun with the roles. Some cute little callbacks peppered throughout but it did feel... lighter in tone (to be expected considering modern Disney). Visually, it was solid with my favorite scene probably being the Sanderson Sisters return. The Mayor/Apple running gag was hit & miss for me. The boyfriend being the idiot just clicked right with me and I wish there were more scenes of him.

I liked the plot concept once it got underway and it did give the Sanderson Sisters an arc. I'm not in love with the direction they took Winifred at the end but it was a little expected with Disney's transition to not make the baddies truly evil 100% of the way. I did like the arc for the teens although it did feel a bit hurried considering the heart of the arc (that the girls don't hang out together) felt more exposition than shown for most of the movie.